Will my ESA and SDP entitlement change when my daughter leaves full time education? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Will my ESA and SDP entitlement change when my daughter leaves full time education?

Apollo14LMP
Apollo14LMP Community member Posts: 61 Connected
Good morning,

Im new here ... can  i please ask some advice.
I currently get IR ESA with SDP. Both my partner and I get SDP we both qualified.

Our daughter is 19 and leaves full time education soon... am  i right in assuming that we no longer qualify for the SDP part of our claim and will lose this when she leaves college ? 

I will also need to claim UC . . As I live in a UC full service area. Am going to lose a lot of support and money if I am right. Rules are rules and am.grateful for past support provided to be honest.

Not sure how much I will lose .... quite concerned to be truthful .... 

Thank you,

Andy

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community @Apollo14LMP! I'm glad you found us, and I hope that we can ease some of your concern.

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is, but I'm sure that some of our other members will have been in a similar position. So that other users will find your post easier to find, I've moved it into the What benefits am I entitled to? category :)

Please let me know if you need any help finding your way around the site, or if you have any other questions. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Apollo14LMP
    Hello thank you so much ..   have a great weekend. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,922 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Unless your daughter claims a qualifying benefit such as PIP daily living or DLA mid/high rate care then yes your SDP will stop once she finishes full time non advanced education. You will need to ring DWP to report the changes. It is not classed as a change of circumstances that will prompt a move to UC.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Apollo14LMP
    Thank you for clarifying that for me.
    I will be better off slightly on UC sadly. But as we get older we will never be able to  reclaim sdp as there is no equivalent in UC. So once the kids fly the coop we will be left without the help provided and paid for by ESA SDP. 
  • poppy123456
    You're welcome.

If you're in the Support Group for ESA then yes, you'll be better off claiming UC. The standard allowance at the moment is also £90 per month more than what it usually is because of Covid19 it was increased. It will be returned to the normal amount in April 2021. Your ESA award will be honoured in UC.

Whether you decide to choose to claim UC is entirely your decision. Your chidlren could be living with your for the foreseable future and this could mean you're miissing out on a lot of money each month. Although if they do move out in the very near future then you can of course reclaim the SDP as you said.

If part of your ESA is contributions based then you will continue to receive that and it will be deducted £1 for £1 from your UC entitlement.

You could also claim carers allowance for each other, this way remaining on ESA will give you an extra £75 per week, although that is still less than the SDP couples rate of course.

Difficult decision but only you can make that.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Apollo14LMP
    I would really prefer ESA ... I will need to get some advice. I did not know you could claim carers for each other.
    I would prefer ESA  over UC anyday.
    I did not know about ESA and carers so thank you.
    I did not have a good experience with my last attempt at claiming UC when i was told too by DWP. In fact the case against the DWP is in court as we speak. 
    I had hoped to hang on to ESA till transition takes place whenever that is or will be ?? 
  • poppy123456
    Managed migration may not be until at least 3-4 years.
  • anth22
    anth22 Community member Posts: 188 Courageous
    Hi sorry to comment on this post, can i just ask Poppy123456 how Apollo14LMP and her partner both get SDP as ive never heard of a couple who both get it? 
  • Apollo14LMP
    edited August 2020
    Hi my wife was on and still gets HR DLA  ... both elements. For years i worked full time and was an unpaid carer. I then had to give up work due to illness i then got put on PIP Enhanced both elements 
    At that point we got SDP in our ESA IR  .. which is 130 pounds or so each a fortnight.... so we both got ESA SDP.
    I didnt even claim it was a bit soft the DWP contacted me to claim it 5 years ago
  • poppy123456
    anth22 said:
    Hi sorry to comment on this post, can i just ask Poppy123456 how Apollo14LMP and her partner both get SDP as ive never heard of a couple who both get it? 

Yes, it's definitely possible for a couple to claim the SDP, if they have no other adults living with them and they both claim a qualifying benefit (or registered blind) then they will be entitled to receive the SDP, if they claim certain other means tested benefits.
    Single person rate is £66.95 per week.
    Couples rate is £133.90 per week.

• poppy123456
    Hi my wife was on and still gets HR DLA  ... both elements. For years i worked full time and was an unpaid carer. I then had to give up work due to illness i then got put on PIP Enhanced both elements 
    At that point we got SDP in our ESA IR  .. which is 130 pounds or so each a fortnight.... so we both got ESA SDP.
    I didnt even claim it was a bit soft the DWP contacted me to claim it 5 years ago
    SDP is £133.90 per week, not fortnight.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.