National Relaxation Day - What do you do to relax? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Relaxation Day - What do you do to relax?

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds like Eiffel 65's house!  (I remember buying this single in Woolworths around 1999 haha!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgztfRBc2jM
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh that song!! It was a real earworm wasn't it :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious have you tried hard exercise? If you exercise enough the endorphins released force you to relax and to feel good. Press ups or skipping are both good as long as your health allows it of course.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious have you tried hard exercise? If you exercise enough the endorphins released force you to relax and to feel good. Press ups or skipping are both good as long as your health allows it of course.
    Good idea but my health doesn't allow for that sadly - I have a brain that won't stop and a body that won't go! :D

I have very little energy or stamina, and spend most of the time with stomach/bowel pain, nausea, reflux, dizziness and/or light-headedness.  Even a gentle walk or a few minutes cleaning is more exercise than I can manage without long lasting consequences.  Bit of a sore point really as the GP just brushes it off as anxiety related but I'm not convinced.  Also the fact he referred to it as my 'tummy' didn't fill me with confidence...  :#

I used to be able to detail the car (lengthy cleaning, polishing etc) or do some gardening at my Nan's house which I guess I did find relaxing now I think about it!  Now, I'm just stuck in a chair for 99% of the time which is extremely frustrating.  I'm hoping to move somewhere with a small garden or attached driveway to try and get back into something like that slowly in small increments, it's not possible at my current flat though.
  • leeCal
    Oh that’s a shame @OverlyAnxious, let’s hope you get a garden soon as that sounds as though it might help s lot. Best wishes.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    @OverlyAnxious
    @leeCal

I’m sorry to hear about your health issues. 

Have you considered growing some small indoor plants which could be something more manageable and might be therapeutic? 

There are lots of ideas on the Internet about the types of plants that can be grown indoors and there are several members of the online community who know a lot about gardening so might be able to give you some ideas?

I find gardening therapeutic although I do find it do find it quite difficult once I see the results it feels really rewarding?
    Best wishes ?

• leeCal
    edited August 2020
    @RAwarrior I’ve never tried it but bonsai trees look like fun.
    (should find them at the garden centre in the reduced section ?)

― Dalai Lama XIV

• RAwarrior
    @leeCal
    That’s a really good idea and I have never tried to grow them ?

I have also noticed that those indoor gardens in a glass container that used to be popular in the 80s have made a come back. I went to the garden centre recently and I noticed them. 

I don’t know much about house plants though but there was a large selection in the garden centre.???
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Such great ideas! I love to read or crochet. I also find music and my favourite films a good way to chill out. :)
    Scope

• Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Indoor plants sound like such a good idea! But maybe it would risk me going overboard and creating an indoor garden....
  • RAwarrior
    @Francis_theythem

Maybe just start with a few small plants to see how you get on. 

As I mentioned before there are lots of keen gardeners on here who might be able to give you quality ideas. I know more about outdoor plants but I can try to make suggestions. 

I have mentioned this before on the gardening threads but there are lots of really good gardening channels on YouTube. I have got a lot of ideas from these channels??
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,808 Disability Gamechanger
    lots of great ideas in this thread, i have my own room at home to sit in surrounded by my star wars collection, it usually calms me right down, recently it hasn't worked as well, but today it did, i sit in my recliner and just chill out for a bit, i also enjoy being online on various forums, and here of course,
  • RAwarrior
    @Grinchy
    Great to hear you are a Star Wars fan?

I have to say I prefer the original Star Wars films?
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I worry about the same thing @Francis_theythem... Especially because I know I'd get loads and then get bored of them after a few months! 

Personally I love doing puzzles, especially sudoku and crosswords, whilst listening to some relaxing music. There's nothing quite like it. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    @Tori_Scope This is exactly the same - I'd get loads, would run out of energy taking care of them and then they'd all die ><
    I got a jigsaw and jigsaw board recently, so I'm looking forward to start doing that. Also, a good low level social activity!
  • Grinchy
    @RAwarrior
    Yeah i love the movies, i prefer the originals myself, but like all they have done so far, i have a thread where i show my collection off in the coffee lounge have a look if you want
  • Tori_Scope
    Yes, me too @Francis_theythem. I have some cacti that I've managed to keep alive for years, but they're pretty low maintenance. I might get myself one house plant and see how it goes.

I love jigsaws as well! Oh yes, low level social activity is the best kind of social activity. Chilling at home or outside with a couple of friends is a real mood lifter, I find. 

• Tori_Scope
    edited August 2020
    I just looked and your Star Wars collection is amazing @Grinchy! Who's your favourite character? 

• RAwarrior
    @Grinchy

I have looked at your Star Wars thread and wow what an amazing collection?

The Millennium Falcon is amazing?

What a huge amount of time and effort you have made to have such a wonderful collection, I am impressed?

I didn’t mind the later Star Wars films and my favourite one out of those ones is Rogue One.

Do you have any Yoda figurines? Yoda is one of my favourite character? 

• Grinchy
    Hey @Tori_Scope glad you like my collection, my favourite character is Luke, as a kid growing up  i went through some horrible abuse, but i always knew Luke and the gang would be there for me at the end of the day, kept me going and still does,
    @RAwarrior, glad you like the falcon it is a favourite of mine, glad you like the movies to i like rogue one a lot, as for yoda, i do have a few figures of him, latest was the luke jedi training pack with luke and yoda 

Brightness