UC after change of circumstances from ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC after change of circumstances from ESA

Apollo14LMP
Apollo14LMP Community member Posts: 61 Connected
Hi,

I currently live in a UC Full service area. Im on ESA SG with couple rate SDP. When the SDP  transition rules came in force in Jan 2019 I remained on ESA with housing benefit payable.

I now have a change in circumstances as my daughter 19 leaves full time education. No longer entitled to SDP.

Does that mean I will have to go on UC ? As the change takes place  .. or as Poppy suggested stay on ESA and claim Carers allowance for each other.
Is there  anything that will trigger the DWP closing my ESA SG claim ?? 

No big fan of UC ....
Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    HI,

As advised in your other thread this is not classed as a change of circumstances that will prompt a move across to UC. If you want to claim UC then it's entirely your decision.

There's nothing in this situation that will trigger them nto close your ESA.

Yes you can claim carers allowance for each other once the SDP ends, as previously advised in your other thread.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Apollo14LMP
    Apollo14LMP Community member Posts: 61 Connected
    Thank you so much ... im grateful to you..  ESA and carers is probably best 
    UC  is a poisoned chalice     ...
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    You're welcome. UC isn't perfect by a long way. It works for some but not others. Although, UC LCWRA (ESA Support Group equivalent) pays more when not receiving SDP. Your ESA support group award would also be honoured in UC.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.