over 70 licence - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

over 70 licence

2»

Comments

• Ryde555
    Ryde555 Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    If you read more information on the website you quoted, the extension is for 
    people who are going to apply for there first over 70s licence, it clearly states
    if you are over 70 you must renew every 3 years
  • Ryde555
    I was not concerned about the driving part luckily, I have someone here to do that, and I have
    taken copies of my old licence and receipt of proof of posting so would continue to drive but
    why am I being asked for another photo and fee I thought it would be straightforward by post
    especially as I incl all the documents they asked for but it was'nt
  • Ryde555
    https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/coronavirus/2020-06/dvla-grants-seven-month-driving-licence-extension/
    For info : The seven-month extension does not apply to drivers who are renewing their entitlement to drive - this means the over-70s are excluded from the seven-month extension.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Ryde555 said:
    If you read more information on the website you quoted, the extension is for 
    people who are going to apply for there first over 70s licence, it clearly states
    if you are over 70 you must renew every 3 years

Sorry but i'm not seeing what you are seeing.

The 7 month extension includes those that are 70 and over, regardless of what "honest John" states. I know you must renew every 3 years when you're 70 and over.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ryde555
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8384905/DVLA-grants-seven-month-extension-driving-licence-applications.html
    This website states the extension only applies to photocard renewals after 10 years, or is free if your licence is to be renewed if your over 70 when it expires

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    That's very missleading information in that link you have there. it makes no sense not to include those over 70 who renew their lience every 3 years because the reason it's extended in the first place is because of Covid and no new licence's are being sent.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ryde555
    I agree and that is why some over 70s are not happy although can still apply by post
    but then may have same problems as me, I am going to write to the DVLA customer
    services, as I have tried online over a 2 month period without success, then sent in
    paper work as advised only to have everything returned for a new photo and fee with
    no explanation doesn't make sense
  • Ryde555
    I agree and that is why some over 70s are not happy although can still apply by post
    but then may have same problems as me, I am going to write to the DVLA customer
    services, as I have tried online over a 2 month period without success, then sent in
    paper work as advised only to have everything returned for a new photo and fee with
    no explanation doesn't make sense
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think writing to them is probably a good idea @Ryde555, this is all very confusing!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    I have my doubts about older people driving (its just an opinion don't shoot me) we have a neighbour who is 84 he can hardly walk but drives a 3 litre jag, its a lethal weapon tbh, on the other side of the coin I also think no one under 21 should be allowed to drive, doing both these things would take a few million vehicles off the road and help cut down on accidents and pollution.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness