Meltdowns — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Meltdowns

Options
Veronica82
Veronica82 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My son has a mild form of CP - left hemi. Typically with a hemi child he is borderline for an emotional disorder too. He has autistic traits which are, again, typical of a hemi child.
I need to learn how to control his meltdowns better and would welcome any advise.
He isn't a naughty boy he just has immature meltdowns. We know it's his condition but if you something in the wrong way it has such a negative impact on him.
We don't have support from school which is awful. 
Any tips please help.

Comments

• Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    I can only speak from my own experience...
    My son has learning difficulties, epilepsy and autisim with challenging behaviour.
    I spent a lot of his earlier years trying to get help for exactly this...he was always seen as a naughty boy with a feckless mother.
    He's now 37...a couple of years ago I took an overdose as I could no longer cope.
    The result was nothing changed, he's a lot bigger than me and although I've contacted the learning disability team again for help it will come to nothing again if my son wont engage with them.
    You hear a lot about people with behavioural problems being put on meds to control moods and how terrible it is to do this...with hindsight...I wish I had pushed for meds...
    Far better he be on meds with someone who cares about him looking after him then placed I some unit where he would also at some point be put on meds and they dont give two shits about him.
    As I said I can only speak from my own experience...I was a single mother, each situation is unique and you may get the right help.
    Sorry to sound so negative...hopefully someone else will respond with a more positive experience!
    Good luck.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Veronica82 :) Sorry I didn't see this any sooner. Another member made a post recently asking about how to deal with their child's meltdowns, so you two might like to connect and share your experiences and tips? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Veronica82, how are you doing today? :)
    Scope

Brightness