Questions about MRN-form — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Questions about MRN-form

mjolnir
mjolnir Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello,

I am completing the MRN (CRMR1)-form. How many pages does this need to have? I submitted a lot of information with the PIP-application and I don’t even know if it was read? I am worried about waffling or adding in extraneous detail in this form. How detailed does I need to be.

How do I label my evidence? Is there a specific protocol or format that should be used? What’s the best way to label it?

When writing the MRN do I only use the descriptors I disagree with or do I have to go through the entire thing line by line, which I don’t think I will be able to do within the timeframe.

When I post this form, how do I post it? Using Proof-of-Post or using Recorded Delivery?

My difficulties are mental health based (agoraphobia and ptsd), not physical problems. I’m worried I made mistakes in completing the original PIP-form, because of not understanding the descriptors properly and not having anyone to help me. For example, I ticked Yes to Problems with Communication, believing that that related to face-to-face engagements (which I have major problems with). I did not realise that Communication meant a person or an aid. Similarly, with the question about Moving About, I can physically walk, my problems relate to mental health, and I cannot go further than 20 meters from my house’s boundary. Is it alright to explain I didn’t understand the descriptors properly or will this be glaringly obvious to whoever looks at this decision again? Also I am totally confused about what rate I might even qualify for. I don’t want to accidently claim a higher level than I am entitled to (is that even possible?).

Thank you in advance for any help, advice or clarifications

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Hi @mjolnir - firstly, welcome to the community. Before writing your MR, please have a look at the descriptors on this site about doing your initial PIP claim. Hopefully this may help you in identifying some aspects which should have been mentioned, & how. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    If there's not enough space, please add extra pages at the end with your name & National Insurance number on each page, or you can just write a letter (again with your name & NI number on each page), you don't have to use the form. When I did a MR, I just wrote a letter.
    I would just identify the descriptors you disagree with, giving one or 2 examples you faced at the time of your assessment. Try & give details as to how each applicable 'descriptor' was difficult when attempted....why was it difficult, what happened, how did it make you feel afterwards, could you not attempt it, etc.? You could preface these with you didn't understand some descriptors, but more relevant is giving those details as to the problems you had.
    If you have any new info that supports how your disability affects you, then by all means send it, but what matters far more is you detailing how your problems illustrate how your function is impacted in both aspects of daily living, & your inability to go further than 20 metres from your home.
    Looking at 'Mixing with other people,' & 'Going out' may be of more relevance to you.
    When you post this, all you need is a 'Certificate of postage.' Hope this helps. :)

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,338 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome,
     You say you submitted a lot of information with the claim form, may i ask what you actually sent? Information could be anything at all.

Try not to "waffle" on too much when writing the letter. Keep it simple but straight to the point. Writing several pages definitely isn't needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome just to add to others advice you cant claim for a higher award than you are entitled to you just apply for PIP and the rate of award is determined by the decision maker based on how your disability affects you and the points you have been awarded 

8-11 points is standard rate and 12 and over enhanced rate

Good luck with the MR
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @mjolnir, glad you've joined us :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.