ESA Support Group Benefit & Savings — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA Support Group Benefit & Savings

Options
StuartH40
StuartH40 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
HI,
Shortly I am due to retire & have a pension from my work, which includes a 25% tax free lump sum that I can take when I retire. This figure is quite substantial & is over £16,000.  However my wife is in a support group for ESA (she was previously on Incapacity Benefit). If I take my lump sum, will it have an impact on my wife's benefits?

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community glad you have joined us.

I am not too sure of the answer so will tag in our expert in this area who will answer when they are available

@poppy123456 Can you advise here please
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @StuartH40

Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the ESA category so that our other members will find it easier to discover and answer your post :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI and welcome,

As she was previously claiming Incapacity benefit then at least part of her ESA should be Contributions based, which won't be affected by and sayings/capital. You will need to check for sure which exactly she's claiming because some ESA is contributions based with an income related top up. If part of it is Income related then she will lose that part.

If you're not sure then she will need to ring DWP to ask.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @StuartH40 and a very warm welcome to the community :) 

I hope to see you around here more in the future!

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.