The countdown is on, one year to go until the Paralympic Games — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The countdown is on, one year to go until the Paralympic Games

Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2020 in Coffee lounge
This week was supposed to mark the beginning of the biggest event in disability sport, the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. It was set to start on the 24th of August and would have had the attention of the world for a couple of weeks, with events ranging from badminton to road cycling, and wheelchair rugby to goalball. 

Like many events in 2020, both sporting and non sporting, the games have been pushed back due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and as such we are now in the strange situation of having to wait another year, until August 2021, for an event that will still be named Tokyo 2020. This isn't an anomaly of course, the Euro 2020 football championship will also carry this years title, despite taking place in June 2021.This week, the One Year To Go (One YTG) campaign was launched and as such, the countdown to the games is officially on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFsIeTZdYQk

Will it be safe to go ahead? 

Thousands of athletes from over one hundred countries take part in the Paralympics, and because of this level of international diversity, the safety of athletes, their teams and event staff is paramount. In an ideal world, we will be free of Covid-19 by August 2021, but the preparations have to be put in place in case that isn't a reality. The circumstances in each participating nation at the time will be taken into account, but given that other sporting events are now taking place behind closed doors it is highly likely that the event will go ahead as planned next year.

However, with no end to the pandemic in sight, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), along with other event organisers, can't be certain what sort of climate the Games will take place in, which makes preparation rather difficult. The ability of athletes to train is an issue in itself, with some not being able to access facilities due to them not being open, and others having to contend with social distancing policies that make it hard to train for certain team sports. Disabled people have been disproportionately impacted by Covid-19, and because of this there are concerns about how safe it will be for athletes who are at a higher risk, such as those with an autoimmune disease, the elderly competitors and those with respiratory problems. Furthermore, plans have to be put in place to ensure that any equipment is sanitised thoroughly and regularly.

What to look forward to

Today, a new documentary 'Rising Phoenix' was released by Netflix. It details the rich history of the Paralympic Games and where the event currently stands in the world of sport. The documentary serves as an opportunity to learn about the Paralympics, while also wetting your appetite for next summer's Games.

Tokyo 2020 will be the sixteenth summer Paralympic Games, and it will be the second time that the city has hosted the event, the first being in 1964.

The opening ceremony will take place on 24 August 2021, followed by 539 events across 22 sports over the following couple of weeks.

Team GB are coming into this instalment of the Games off the back of a sensational Rio 2016, where they finished with a total of 147 medals, their best performance since 1988.

This time around there will be two new additions to the Paralympic programme - badminton and taekwondo.

The very first medal of the games will be awarded on the 25th of August in track cycling, in the women's C1-3 3000m individual pursuit race. While Britain's Sarah Storey could add to her 14 Paralympic golds on the same day in the C5 3000m pursuit.

Mark your 2021 calendar, when you get it, because Sunday, 29 August has been dubbed 'Golden Sunday' with 63 gold medals up for grabs, one of which is in wheelchair rugby where the hosts Japan are amongst the favourites.

Are you looking forward to the Paralympic Games? Which events do you like to follow the most? 
Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm excited! I was lucky enough to see a day of Para-athletics when it was in London and loved it. 

Other than Para-athletics, I'm particularly excited to see some wheelchair rugby as I watched the documentary Murderball a few years ago and thought it was really interesting. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    I'm jealous @Tori_Scope, that must have been an amazing experience!

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    It was @Ross_Scope! The atmosphere was incredible

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I'm afraid I cannot raise much enthusiasm for the games. I used to love sport and played Sunday football into my 40's and squash into my late 30's. Despite being well overweight my heart rate was extremely low due to fitness. With health deteriorating more rapidly than ever even my thought of doing disabled sports has disappeared, not that there are many sports you can do with a collapsing spine.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry to hear that @Topkitten. Do you think that you'd ever be able to enjoy watching sport, even though you don't feel as though you can take part in sports yourself anymore? 

• Ross_Alumni
    Sorry to hear that @Topkitten

I know you said you're not overly enthusiastic for the Paralympics, but do you still manage to enjoy some sport as an observer?

• Topkitten
    @Tori_Scope, I do watch sport I am an avid fan of F1 and the BTCC I guess maybe because I can still drive I can imagine myself competing but when it comes to physical exertion I just start getting down. I have even had to take down and hide the trophies I won doing various physical sports because I can't face them any more.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Tori_Scope
    That's understandable @Topkitten. Have you found any other hobbies to replace the loss of sport in your life? 

• Ross_Alumni
    edited August 2020
    @Topkitten

I'm glad you at least get some enjoyment as a fan of sport, what driver is your favourite in the F1?

I'm sorry to hear that you can't enjoy your achievements, you must have been fantastic to have earned them. I can understand somewhat how it must feel from your point of view. I have football trophies from when I was younger, when my eyesight hadn't taken a hold, and it can be sad to sometimes look at them and think about what I may have missed out on in that world. I've never found a good enough opportunity to play visually impaired football so I haven't been able to compete since I was young.

• Topkitten
    @Tori_Scope, not really. I am good at jigsaws and would do more but find it painful sitting up enough to work on them. I play a few games online but that's something I have done since mid 20's and I have started reading again but nothing specific.

@Ross_Scope, in F1 I like to see any British diver doing well so am well pleased that Hamilton will break almost every record in the book. In the BTCC I like to see the West Surrey Racing lads doing well in their BMW's and am fast becoming a big fan of Tom Oliphant.

TK
  • Ross_Alumni
    @Topkitten

Lewis Hamilton is absolutely dominating at the moment, can't see that changing any time soon as long as he sticks with his current team.

• Topkitten
    Hard to see Mercedes letting such an advantage go and I am very disappointed with Ferrari's lack of success. At least McLaren seem to be making a comeback and I'm hoping that Williams can do the same.

TK
  • Tori_Scope
    edited August 2020
    Well it sounds like there are a few things you can still enjoy at least @Topkitten. What games do you like to play? And what genre of book do you like? I love a good jigsaw too. Will your new chair help with making that more comfortable do you think? Or could any other equipment help? 

I don't know much about the BTCC, but my Dad watches it and I always liked Oliphant and Turkington purely for their cool names :D

• Ross_Alumni
    Hopefully so @Topkitten, the F1 definitely needs to be more competitive. 

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Ross_Scope
                                  Thank you so much for sharing this, I love sport so can't wait for next year. I never really had the opportunity to engage in disability sport when I was younger, however now I am starting to try to create opportunities for myself. I will be checking out wheelchair basketball at the games as I play and love it and also the CP football as I have met a former Paralympian who used to play. I'm also looking into the opportunity of doing some football coaching as as you know I'm a massive fan of football :) Thank you. 
  • Topkitten
    I don't think the chair will help with jigsaws, @Tori_Scope. I have a table that goes over the chair and tilts the laptop because I have to lean back, sitting upright causes hip pain let alone crouching over a puzzle, lol! I used to do them at a centre where I used the wheelchair but I can't go now nor use a chair where I live. I will have to see whether they let me move or not but I doubt it, far too jobsworth to be helpful.

TK
  • Tori_Scope
    Ah right, I see @Topkitten. It's definitely worth asking, you never know!

I know it's not the same, but I did find some free jigsaw puzzles online when I searched just now that might be worth checking out. 

• Topkitten
    Ty @Tori_Scope, I'll have a look.

TK
  • Ross_Alumni
    WestHam06 said:
    Hi @Ross_Scope
                                  Thank you so much for sharing this, I love sport so can't wait for next year. I never really had the opportunity to engage in disability sport when I was younger, however now I am starting to try to create opportunities for myself. I will be checking out wheelchair basketball at the games as I play and love it and also the CP football as I have met a former Paralympian who used to play. I'm also looking into the opportunity of doing some football coaching as as you know I'm a massive fan of football :) Thank you. 
    That's great :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Wheelchair basketball sounds fascinating :) 

I think football coaching is a very good idea, it will be good to channel your passion for the sport into that.

• WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Ross_Scope
                                  Wheelchair basketball is great fun, it can get a little rough at times but I still love it. I love any team sport as I really enjoy working as a team towards a common goal such as winning a game. I'm very excited about the possibility of football coaching, hopefully when I am able to get there it will be great, I think it will. I also admire the fact that there is a belief that it can be done from a wheelchair :) Thank you. 

Brightness