PIP Tribunal - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Tribunal

2»

Comments

• minti
    minti Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    May I add that tribunal took place on Friday and letter with decision arrived by Royal mail Second class next day!
  • laurapeach
    laurapeach Community member, Scope Member Posts: 114 Pioneering
    So she does purely administration at her job? Does she need help at home to have showers, get dressed, make food etc? And is she able to walk with/without aids? The diagnosis doesn't matter to the DWP, it's how it affects how she manages her day to day life.

I'm sure the judge won't talk to her employer, they probably wanted to make sure that they understood what her job was before making the decision.
    Mum of one little girl.

I am AuDHD and I have M.E/CFS and POTS.
  • minti
    Thank you for your reply.I sent your mails to my daughter as I m feeling like nobody wants to listen.FightBack  is not in my area,we are around Carlisle.I saw them on FaceBook.They asked to pay £60 for initial telephone assessment with their operater,15 mins....Also this suppose to cover paper copies.I asked from the beginning if Michelle /the boss/represent my daughter on tribunal and she agreed.Communications were through emails,they really wanted to send a request for adjustment to my daughter workplace,which was not what she needed as she had a lot of ajustments already in place..Just two days before tribunal,i was asked to pay £50 for preparing submission to tribunal and another £50 if I want their advocade /not a lawer I requested/to represent my daughter on phone hearing.I payed straight away£100.   .£395 was agreed if case will winn.Advocate contacted my daughter than over the phone first time and told her that they had a meeting and decided not to represent my daughter as they think case will loose.They were going to refund £50.My daughter was very upset and sent them email about her feelings.They adviced her just go ahead and represent herself.She doesn't have any learrning difficulties completely opposite.She tried very hard on tribunal hearing,explaining them/espessially disabled representative who was expert in forstering care business,which has nothing to do with my daughter job!/I was there and listened it all.They made my daughter feel like her job doesnt exist in the way how she described it.Job and holiday-that's all what they were interested!It is not money what is matter for my daughter at the moment,but this piece of paper that proves that she has disability.Nobody believed in school in her illnesses,I done all tests and diagnostics with private consultants.This piece of paper helped to get a disability team to help her in college and uni, later. And nobody wanted to keep her in a job as she was ill a lot.Law centers,trade union -finally she got a contract.But now we lost this piece of paper and with this we lost the wright to fight for saviving!  Thank you for listening.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @minti

I am sorry you and your daughter have been through such a trying experience.  I hope the advice given here by our members has helped you better understand what happened and why.  Above all remember we are always here if you need advice, please don't feel you have to pay for it again :(

How is your daughter's crohn's now?  Is she receiving treatment and managing to work okay?  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @minti I am sorry about your daughters tribunal but there is no longer any such thing as a piece of paper to prove a disability, I agree though lots of places ask for proof as in the PIP award letter but all this proves is the entitlement to the benefit, this is usually requested for things like disabled peoples concessions eg cinema entry, carers entry and blue badges. 

Employers do not ask for proof of disability 

As Mike said the tribunal will not approach your daughters employers they have made their decision 

Also do not get concerned about the adjustments being made for her at work by her line manager as that is the sort of responsibility a line manager has to make those decisions as they work more closely with the employees and know how they fit with the work required 

What you need to concentrate on is not about getting a document to prove a disability but look at the descriptors and where your daughter fits and should have scored points

Keep us updated if she decides to request the SOR

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    She doesn't have a learning disability so i'm a little confused when you say you want to teach her to ask for help when you're not around.

As Janer has correctly advised, there's no piece of paper that proves a disability. She's already got adjustments in place at work so that's a good thing.

I poorly present Tribunal often leads to refusal and this could be what's happened here, even though you had the help of fightback. I'm still not sure exactly what the money you paid them was for.

Your daughter needs to email HMCTS to request the SOR and ROP and go from there.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • minti
    I think my daughter gave up now.She was feeling not good after tribunal.
  • minti
    thank you everybody for advice
  • poppy123456
    I totally agree with @Username_removed about facebook advice. I "was" and i repeat "was" once a member of a group for benefits advice. The advice that members were giving for benefits was so bad it made me cringe many times. Infact, i left the group because i just couldn't sit there and continue to read such appauling, frightening advice.

I'll never understand why people pay advice, support and representation when all of this is available free.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hmmm... before I joined Scope, I was a member of a facebook 'benefits' advice group... no longer. Think the 'advice' given was definitely questionable. I've found more sheer common sense & knowledge here than anywhere.
  • atlas47
    atlas47 Community member Posts: 238 Pioneering
    minti said:
    Thank you for your reply.I sent your mails to my daughter as I m feeling like nobody wants to listen.FightBack  is not in my area,we are around Carlisle..

Hi

For your information the following Benefits Advice (free) services are available in Carlisle.

1.Carlisle City Council -Benefits Advice, tel 01228 817200.

This is an outstanding service, that provides empathetic and objective advice.

2.Cumbria Law Centre - Welfare Benefits, tel 01228 515129.

Again an outstanding organisation, who have served the good folks of Carlisle for many years.

3.Carlisle and Eden Citizens Advice Service, tel 03444 111444/03300 563037.

I declare an interest, I am proud to announce that I was Chair of Trustees for five years, of this charity.

4.DaCE Cumbria, tel 01228 317010.

They assisted me in claiming PIP, in the first instance.

All of the above will be able to provide, welfare Benefits advice, free of charge, rather than paying the likes of FightBack, “solicitors” for services rendered.

Stay kind and be safe.

• minti
    Thank you.I used Carlisle a Law Center adviser when my daughter was near sucked from her job.Penrith CAS helped to submit PIP application.And finally i used Carlisle Dissability servise in 2015 for application but this year their response for my calls was very late,thats why i contacted Fight for justice.It was a mistake.

• minti
    Fifght for justice refund £50 for not be able to represent my daughter.Submission was mailed to tribinal day before tribunal,i got it now.Its a one small page,all what is there what already was before in my my daughter letter for DWP for not agreeing with their decision,like which points she was not agreed.
  • poppy123456
    Emailed the submission the day before the hearing....wow! It could well be a poorly presented case but we'll never know that because no one knows anything about her case. All she can do now is what's already been advised, request the SOR and ROP.
  • minti
    I think i m going to email FightBack and ask them to give us a full refund  .Can we ask tribunal for SOR and ROP without FightBack involvement?
  • poppy123456
    minti said:
    .Can we ask tribunal for SOR and ROP without FightBack involvement?

Yes... it's nothing to do with fightback.
  • minti
    edited August 2020
    I m talking to Fightback4 justice on Facebook now.My understanding of changing you need to report about PIP are-amount of care,leaving country,prison,residential school,GP address etc.There is nothing about your job you need to report,only if you need more care with new job.Its different for ESA.I read all letters from DWP and there is nothing about jobs.  I have CA letter Changes you DON't have to report: being in work,changes in your earnings,if someones join or leave your household.report change:name.address,etc....
  • poppy123456
    You are missunderstanding it. PIP isn't means tested so working doesn't affect it in this way, at least. What can go against you though, as previously advised is if the work you do contradcits the reasons why you're claiming PIP in the first place. Lots of people work and claim PIP without any problems at all.
  • minti
    All what Fight Back was asking my daughter day before Tribunal was how many hours she is working,when she start full time job?And they told her they cant represent her as she has a full time job.looks like the day before tribunal they knew she will loose her case.
  • poppy123456
    You can request the SOR and ROP from HMCTS as previously advised. Other than that it's impossible to give any advice here because no one knows anything at all about her case.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.