Video Games - Page 7 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    The amount of money some game manufacturers spend on the production of games today greatly outweighs the amount spent on the making of many movies.
    For me as a gamer I like it. But does it really make sense? 
    Will games stand up to the test of time, like many films do?
    We can all remember a film seen as a youngster. A film seen that leaves memories of a lifetime.
    But games? Will they do the same and give us those memories like that first film? 
    Or are we on the verge of a new age?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2020
    @Dragonslayer

Very interesting point, I'd be keen to hear others' thoughts on this.

I think games do have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself. 

I cannot tell you the amount of times I've thought longingly of the Sega Mega Drive or Nintendo 64, because those were amongst the first consoles I played.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    Like you I also think back to the consoles I had in the past and the way they, along with the games have greatly improved. I remember the thrill of guiding a bouncing 'ball' between to thin lines back and forth and the wonder of being able to do so.
    Now games produced actually place us into the 'film' and we become the star actor controlling the action and the way the story plays out. There are now more and more film producers making films based on a game. AC for instance.
    The Sega system was a huge step forward in the gaming world, and now we are soon stepping up into the future with the PS5 and X Box 1. I wonder what the next step will be? 
    I agree with what you say, games, along with consoles are as nostalgic as films and have the same power.

• Ross_Alumni
    @Dragonslayer
    I agree with you, I'd almost say that games have become like interactive films these days, given the graphics and superb story telling. 

The next step? Who knows. I'd guess virtual reality, it seems like we're just scratching the surface with that at the moment 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayerdo have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe it is a bit nostalgic thinking about putting the video into the video tape player!

Also using a screwdriver to rewind a video that has gotten stuck!!
  • Dragonslayer
    The release of new games I prefer to play seem to have dried up? RPG's, Adventure. To name just two.
    It makes me think the makers are waiting for the Christmas market release, along with the new consoles coming out. Anyone else think the same, or agree? 
    I am 'picky' I prefer to play third person. And don't like games where you look down on the scene. ( Not sure what they call them) 
    So I have reverted back to a game I played last year. Greedfall an RPG.  I stopped playing it because I got fed up with it!  And it is a little 'clunky ' But second time around I am liking it.
  • Dragonslayer
    66Mustang said:
    @Dragonslayerdo have a similar power to movies actually. When we get all nostalgic it's easy to think back to our youth and the first games we ever played. The unique thing about games which movies don't have, is that we get nostalgic over the console as well as the game itself.

I don’t know for sure. Maybe it is a bit nostalgic thinking about putting the video into the video tape player!

Also using a screwdriver to rewind a video that has gotten stuck!!

Done that many times in the past. 

• Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang
    Video. OMG It was fantastic when it first came out. Bought my first player the day Prince Charles married Diana.
    I thought it was. Still do, time better spent. And it cost £500. Well worth it
    First tape Battlestar Galactica. 

• Dragonslayer
    While waiting for the new games to be released I am going to get Kingdoms of Amular remastered. Online people say it has up to 500hrs playtime and beyond . That should cover the waiting time.
    @66Mustang @Ross_Scope
    You waiting for anything?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I have just looked it up, it looks really good with good graphics. As for 500 hours...This is why gaming is such good value. :smiley: Even if the game was full price at £50 thats 10p per hour of entertainment.

I’m sticking with WoW and RuneScape at the moment. Sadly my choice of games are severely limited at the moment as I have a Mac not a PC and I do not currently own a console. I also have an iPad. If anyone knows any good games for iOS that would be appreciated!
  • Ross_Alumni
    @66Mustang
    You're spot on there, games are great value for money. I think it's because no two gaming sessions are ever the same, it's great. Regarding games on iOS, I'm not entirely sure because I use Android. However I imagine the selection is similar on both so I would suggest browsing through the categories on the App Store. I know that Fortnite and Minecraft are now on mobile devices if they're your kind of thing. Alternatively, here's a current list from Digital Trends with a few good choices on.

@Dragonslayer
    I wouldn't say I'm waiting for any especially, maybe FIFA 21 given that I'm a big football fan and I tend to buy that every two or three years, but primarily I'm just waiting for the console.

Any others you're waiting for?

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    I am waiting for the latest AC. Valhalla. That will go into my disc collection of AC games.
    Then Eden Ring, Dragon age 4, Skull and Bones, God and Monsters, And there are a few others. 
    Valhalla  (Top of my list) releases in November on PS4. The others are TBC. I believe they are waiting for the PS5. 
  • Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope @66Mustang
    Sorry I may be a little thick. But games on iOS?

• Dragonslayer
    66Mustang said:
    I have just looked it up, it looks really good with good graphics. As for 500 hours...This is why gaming is such good value. :smiley: Even if the game was full price at £50 thats 10p per hour of entertainment.

I’m sticking with WoW and RuneScape at the moment. Sadly my choice of games are severely limited at the moment as I have a Mac not a PC and I do not currently own a console. I also have an iPad. If anyone knows any good games for iOS that would be appreciated!

@66Mustang
    You are quite right in saying that, the game will be even better value it sells at £34

• Dragonslayer
    Question to anyone?
    Best way to buy games?
    I buy from the shop 'Game' if I want one on disc and they have a great deal on trade in.
    Example pay £49 new. Trade it in a few months later and you can get up to half of that price back against a new one. Or put it on a reward card and save for later.
    Thats how I bought most of my games, from the shop. But now because of Covid and my condition it is hard for me to get to the shop, so I have have bought from PSN and download. 
    Kingdom of Amular is only on disc on PS4 and because I have games on disc to trade I will have to get there somehow or loose my trade in price.
    You can trade in online! But still have to get to the post office to send them.
    Any thoughts?

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Dragonslayer, my step-dad buys his from computer exchange. You can buy or sell games, with you also being able to have credit to spend on future games. :)
    Scope

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    The last console I played seriously was the original Xbox (which is still around somewhere) but I had to stop using it after Phantom Crash and Need For Speed started causing me neck and arm issues (the start of my long poor health history). My mum got a PS2 for when grandchildren visited but when they lost interest it came to me and then to my eldest. I did replace it with a recon original PS3 but both PS's were only used for Guitar Hero type games. My son is heavily into the latest Xbox's but I suspect that money issues due to lack of work from Covid has more than a little curtailed his interest. I have a home built PC that is still up to playing most recent games and a gaming laptop that I now totally rely on. I also have 4 or 5 tablets plus mum's old PC and laptop. My house has always been like a graveyard for old equipment from the days where I was building PC's and upgrading them constantly.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    @Topkitten
    Sounds like your place is full of video games nostalgia :) What do you tend to play on your gaming laptop? 

@Dragonslayer
    When we say games on iOS it means games that are on Apple devices like phones and iPads. iOS is the operating system.

Regarding buying games, I often try eBay, you can get some decent prices on there. The Facebook selling section is a great option as well for bargains. 

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    Thanks for the info on iOS. I don't feel as thick now ?
    I will take a look at E Bay sounds interesting.

• Dragonslayer
    @Chloe_Scope
    That seems to be a lot like the Game store I have used for quite a while! But it's always good to have more outlets to use. ?

Brightness