No point - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

No point

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck at the hospital tomorrow @Oxonlady. Let us know how you get on :) Sorry you're so exhausted at the moment, I hope you manage to get some rest. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Thank you, Tori_Scope. 
  • Oxonlady
    Thank you, Chiarieds, will do. 
  • harry01
    harry01 Community member Posts: 217 Courageous
  • Oxonlady
    Thank you, Harry01. 
    I hope you are not in too much pain today. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with the rheumatologist today @Oxonlady
    Let us know how you get on and be sure to mention that SOB.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with the appointment
  • Tori_Scope
    How did you get on @Oxonlady? :)

• Oxonlady
    Hi Tori_Scope, Chiarieds, harry01, janer1967 and Cher_Scope, thank you all the appointment went well. I've only just got back home, it was a long, tiring journey through London's heavy traffic, both ways.
    The rheumatologist was very nice and kind. He said that although nothing much can be done for me, he'll arrange for scans on my shoulder and elbow and I also had blood tests today. At least he's being thorough, whereas the last two rheumatologists weren't really very interested, they just said "you've got Fibromyalgia so there's nothing we can do". And both had added, at the time, that "Fibromyalgia is all in the mind", something I of course do not agree with!

I now have to wait for the results of my blood tests, it shouldn't take too long. 
    Meanwhile I'm glad to be home and resting! Wishing you all a pleasant evening. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Oxonlady - You must be worn out, so thank you very much for updating us. What dreadful statements about fibromyalgia; I would have hoped rheumatologists, of all people, would have a better knowledge & understanding.
    I'm pleased this rheumatologist is much better, & is being thorough with further testing. Did you mention your problems with getting SOB?
    I hope you can relax & unwind a bit this evening if possible; I don't imagine your pain levels are great just now. Take care. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Glad it went ok and they are looking into tests and scans 

Have rest now you are home 
  • harry01
    @Oxonlady 'all in the mind'. That's sad. Actually scientifically illiterate thing to say. And where's their evidence? 

Thanks for getting me to ask about my shoulder. I will also push to point out all physical issues. 

I was hesitant because I didn't want them to deny my general movement based issues and make it about my shoulder only. 

• Oxonlady
    Hi Harry01, thanks for getting in touch. I've been feeling increasingly unwell so it's nice to hear a friendly voice as it were!
    I saw the rheumatologist on Friday and he's arranging scans for my shoulder and elbow but there's a three-month waiting list. Constant pain and lack of movement can be really demoralising, that's why I suggested to you that you may also need a scan.
    I started taking antibiotics on Friday evening and I'm starting to feel human again. My blood test results prove that I've got an infection but doctors don't usually listen when I tell them... 

I wish you well and good luck in trying to address your problems. I'm very practical so I always look for solutions! 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Oxonlady - I always say a person knows their own body best, so I'm pleased you're on a course of antibiotics, & at least that is proving helpful. I'm sorry you have to wait so long for your scans tho.
    @harry01 - have you tried the gentle shoulder exercises, which I hoped may at least help that aspect of your pain?
  • Oxonlady
    Hi Chiarieds and Harry01, I try gentle shoulder exercises when the pain allows any movement but quite often even the slightest movement hurts too much... 
    It always impresses me and not in a positive way, how doctors think they know all about me within ten minutes of meeting me and yet they don't take into account my decades of experience in this body! 
  • harry01
    @chiarieds yes. I have been experimenting with them, thanks. 
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Hi I don't  have the slightest idea if your particular pain likes or hates heat.  I have found ice packs help some, but most like electric heating pads, in particular the infra red ones, but any. They aren't  that dear from arg*s or other places. I means you can watch t.v., or go to bed, not needing to keep refilling a hot water bottle.   You set the temperature  and choose the time, but it turns itself off after a while so it doesn't  matter if you fall asleep. 
  • Tori_Scope
    I'm sorry about your previous negative experiences @Oxonlady, but I'm glad your new doctor is being thorough.

Hearing that you've got a 3 month wait must be frustrating, but at least you're on the antibiotics now. How are you feeling today? 

• Oxonlady
    Hi Tori_Scope, I hope you are well.

I feel a lot better on the antibiotics, thanks. Still feeling very tired, will have to go for a nap soon. 

I am disappointed with doctors because the majority have no imagination or an investigative mind. If the run-of-the-mill blood tests are normal, they look no further, despite the patient feeling unwell or being in pain. So from now on I will avoid the medical profession as much as possible!!!! I have no faith in them.
    If the NHS cared, we wouldn't have to wait in pain for months to have scans done... 
  • Tori_Scope
    I am well thank you @Oxonlady.

I'm glad you're still feeling a little bit better at least.

Yes, it can be disappointing when doctors don't take the time to investigate further. I often hear people saying that they have to be their own advocates and fight for the treatment and tests they need. Your lack of faith is definitely understandable, but I hope that you do manage to find a team of doctors who are able to help. 

Is there anything you can do whilst you're waiting for your scan? 

Brightness