Difficulty staying tidy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Difficulty staying tidy

nightwars
nightwars Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I'm autistic and 27 and I'm with parents, I find it really hard to tidy/clean my room, I feel better when my stuff is surrounding me and kinda feel safer, but it really annoys my parents, is this just a me thing? 
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,521 Disability Gamechanger
    hi @nightwars how are you this evening?, the weather here is horrible. I think that perhaps your parents need to respect your personal space as long as you respect there's, I always think that being clean is far more important than being 100% tidy
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• nightwars
    thing is they only ask me to keep my room tidy and i struggle doing that, when i try i get distracted when i find things/ cant make myself concentrate and they get kinda angry about it quite a it cuz when i try it doesnt show cuz i cant do much, i like the rain so im happy right now being in the suns always made me feel icky
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm the opposite myself.  I can't stand having a thing out of place but grew up in a house where other people weren't bothered by tidiness!  Also had some older relatives that were hoarders and found their house so massively overwhelming with stuff literally everywhere.

If you feel safe and comfortable in the mess and it's only in your room I don't really see a problem with it.  If you're likely to trip over things and hurt yourself or if it could be a fire risk then obviously that could be a problem.  Otherwise it just sounds like your parents being a bit over-controlling.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,356 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

My daughter has autism and is also the opposite to you. Everything has to be in it's place and she hates anything that's messy. Tidying is one thing that she doesn't need support for. Infact, i don't know what i'd do without her. Having a disability myself i find daily things very difficult and she tidies every single day and i don't even have to ask her.

I agree with others though, it's your room, you're not a child, if you're happy with your space being untidy then that's your decision. Although if you have trouble concentrating then writing a list of things you need to do may help you keep on track.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nightwars, have you been able to explain to your parents how you feel? I imagine it is stressful for you both.
    Scope

• nightwars
    i did tell them, but since its their house its their rules, i guess maybe part of it comes from them being a bit old fashioned since they were both born in the 50's?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @nightwars I understand it is your room and also that how you keep it makes you feel safe. Try and explain to your parents how you feel.

However I am a believer that if you live in somebody else's house you need to try and respect their wishes

But as long as it is clean and doesnt breed germs could you ask that you manage your own space for yourself

Brightness