Video Games - Page 8 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    The gaming world has gone quiet
    I am nearly at the end of replaying Greedfall and looking forward to getting my copy of Kingdoms of Amular.
    I am wishing they makers would release games in a more varied way instead of waiting months between them, and then releasing quite a few at once especially for the Xmas market.

• Dragonslayer
    Which is best Playstation? Or XBox?
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    That’s bound to get a lively debate going!

I had a PS1 but then always had XBOX after that. 

I don’t know which is best though. I guess these days with so many games that are only available on a certain platform it depends on what games you want to play?
  • Dragonslayer
    When I was just about ready to buy my new console, I remember spending many a long hour wondering whether to get a PS4 or an XBox. I finally got the PS4. It is I believe more powerful? And still think so.
    It was after spending a long time away from gaming. My console before that was a PS2. Before that a PS1 I skipped the PS3,
    Earlier years I have had Sega, Phillips and a few others that are now long obsolete.
    I like PlayStation and that's why I will get the PS5. I believe they are better.

• Emily54636072
    Emily54636072 Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    I’ve ordered my PS4 so I can connect with some of you on my PS4 when it arrives 
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope, mostly OSRS (Old School RuneScape) and Diablo III but occasionally go back into World of Tanks and World of Warships.

I have various old and new spares, PC's, drives and other stuff spread around the house, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Emily54636072
    Emily54636072 Community member Posts: 84 Courageous
    Not long before my PS4 arrives so I can connect with people on it so excited if you wanna connect with me just ask 
  • Dragonslayer
    I am ( Between games) and while waiting for my copy of Kingdoms of Amular I have been searching through my game collection and settled on replaying Until Dawn, at least until my new game comes.
    If you like the Horror genre then it is well worth a go. It really is like being in a movie.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I hope you enjoy your PS4 @emilyanner, what games will you be getting? 

I prefer PlayStation @Dragonslayer, it has better games in my opinion. However, when we consider how accessible the consoles are I think Xbox is better in that regard. But purely from a gamer's point of view it has to be the PlayStation.

Interested to hear others' thoughts.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    There really seems to be little between the two consoles, but I do believe PlayStation has the edge in both power and games. But I have never played on X Box so maybe it may not be for me to say.
    I also have never played a game on PC, although I do have a desk computer. Never fancied a laptop. But surely games are better on console? That is why they excist after all surely, isn't it?

• 66Mustang
    Some PC gamers are a really dedicated bunch and swear by their PCs. You can get much better graphics on a PC but you have to have a PC that is powerful enough to run the games at the desired graphic settings.

I would say for the money a console is better - a PC costing the same as a console likely won’t run games at very high settings - I’d say to get a PC that would beat a console by a worthwhile margin you need to spend £1,000 and that’s just for tower, you then would need a decent screen, and of course peripherals. If you prefer the console handset to a keyboard and mouse then you can use console controllers with a PC to get the best of both worlds.

You then have the problem that PCs are much more complicated than consoles as they obviously do more and can go wrong. Troubleshooting on a console is much simpler but with a PC there could be a hundred reasons why something isn’t working.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of a console but some PC gamers spend thousands, even tens of thousands, on their set ups and you can create some truly amazing PC setups.
  • t0nkys
    t0nkys Community member Posts: 31 Courageous
    66Mustang said:
    Some PC gamers are a really dedicated bunch and swear by their PCs. You can get much better graphics on a PC but you have to have a PC that is powerful enough to run the games at the desired graphic settings.

I would say for the money a console is better - a PC costing the same as a console likely won’t run games at very high settings - I’d say to get a PC that would beat a console by a worthwhile margin you need to spend £1,000 and that’s just for tower, you then would need a decent screen, and of course peripherals. If you prefer the console handset to a keyboard and mouse then you can use console controllers with a PC to get the best of both worlds.

You then have the problem that PCs are much more complicated than consoles as they obviously do more and can go wrong. Troubleshooting on a console is much simpler but with a PC there could be a hundred reasons why something isn’t working.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of a console but some PC gamers spend thousands, even tens of thousands, on their set ups and you can create some truly amazing PC setups.
    I saved for ages and spent a LOT on a gaming PC but I still value my PS4, albeit cant fit as much on my PS4 so I’m constantly deleting and reinstalling. And my nephew insists on fortnite and that takes looooads of space. Also easier to record games on PC, I do have the capability of recording on PS4 but sometimes I’m just too depressed to set it all up. Got a switch too for my Nintendo fix, don’t have a lot of games though (not a fan of mario!) Basically I feel like I get the best of both worlds, I wouldn’t sell my PS4.
  • Dragonslayer
    @t0nkys

I had the same problem with space on my PS4. Solution is to get some extended storage the plugs into one of the PS4 usb ports. I got a 1 terrabite one for around £70 it's smaller than the palm of your hand and not only stores more games than the actual console. But is transportable and can the be used in any other PS4. It can also be used to download PS4 games onto the new PS5. That's the way to save your treasured PS4 games to play on the PS5.
  • Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang
    Thanks for the info regarding gaming on PC,s but I am not that dedicated to warrant spending that amount of money on one to use for gaming. A PC Is for me a great tool for networking, searching, info, storage ECT. But for gaming I will stick to console. 
  • Topkitten
    If you can build and upgrade your own PC then it can be relatively cheap to play PC games and most games eventually come out on all formats, a matter of profit for the makers. However, this requires a desktop or deskside box. Trying to upgrade laptops is negligible and / or very expensive (usually cheaper to scrap and buy new). You don't always need a new processor and memory unless the bus changes and that doesn't happen very often and, if you stay away from the absolute latest graphics cards the prices drop fast (usually). Normally any up-to-date game will play on older kit and upgrading the graphics card will allow games to be played at much higher resolution than on any console.

However, (always a however isn't there, lol!), games usually debut on consoles first and some things that consoles are specifically designed to do simply cannot be copied cheaply on others (Nintendo Wii being a prime example). That's because they are aimed at a specific market and not general gaming. Consoles are also generally cheaper than a good PC setup but, as many Xbox users especially know, not all current games play on all consoles of the same make. So buying a specific one now may not let you play the latest games for long and consoles (like laptops) are almost impossible to upgrade. Afaik there is a PS5 in the pipeline and probably another Xbox not far behind and both are unlikely to be backward compatible unlike almost ALL PC games. A modern PC will likely play not only recent games but also those that are years old (and years and years and.... etc.).

I don't play modern games so it matters little to me about the "latest" game. I'm still playing Runescape (old School) which basically has 8-bit graphics, LOL!!!! However, (there it is again :smile: ) RS is around 20 years old now and still plays fine.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    I suppose most people don't have the required skills to build and modify their own PC @Topkitten, myself included, which is somewhat of a shame. I think that leads people to opt for the simplicity of console gaming, literally the only maintenance you need to do is software updates. 

And then there's the issue of price as mentioned. However, gaming on a PC can be more flexible with the modding abilities and so on, and the fact that they can play older games. I have one on my PC that was released in the mid 2000s and it works perfectly. 

I just find the whole experience of playing on a console better. They're easier to use, the controls are simpler and take less time to get used to, and it's much more straight forward to connect with others and party up in my opinion.  

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    I actually found playing old games on the PC quite difficult.

I enjoy playing old games from when I was a child but I found that as my version of Windows gets newer, older games become unsupported and you have to jump through hoops to be able to play them i.e. download special software.

As a child I had some games from the late 90s and early 2000s passed to me from a family member and tried to play them again when I last had a Windows PC and it was really difficult.

That said it was at least possible :)
  • Topkitten
    edited September 2020
    Granted @Ross_Scope, that console controls are generally easier to use but in more complex MMO's the use of KB and Mouse far exceeds a controller. Personally, due to my issues controllers aggravate my neck issues because I find myself not only wrenching the controller about but also leaning to and fro (as if that makes ANY difference, lol!). My son is very fast on his Xbox controller but still uses a PC at times for a few games.

As for expertise..... it isn't hard to learn to make a PC as they are very modular. In fact most cheaper Motherboards have almost everything built in. Not many go to the trouble I did even to the extent of fitting a water cooler on the Processor, lol! I have, to my knowledge, in my spare time, trained 6 people how to build their own (including my son) although most would contact me every time they had an issue. I was always very fast at diagnosing problems. Even my Mum at 85 used to use a PC a lot because I was always on call. Compare that to my cleaner who is only a year or two older than me who doesn't even have the internet as she understands none of it.

As for upgrades on PC's.... things are very much stable. Motherboards are 64 bit and will stay so for some time as 128 bit are too large, cumbersome and hot to appear yet. It would also require a new transfer bus which would render all old plug-in cards (graphics cards mostly) obsolete and as graphics is the most expensive item no one wants that to happen. Likewise the returns from more and faster processors has pretty much maxed out and games generally do not benefit much from processor numbers or speeds. The main bottleneck now, especially in laptops, is disk transfer rates and, although my knowledge is out of date on SDRAM alternatives I am skeptical they are a long lasting solution. If I'm correct they are limited to a number of write operations which will run out long before the slower and traditional hard drive does, read operations will be much faster and not limited though. However, hard drive heat is now a major factor in laptops so some answer is to be expected. Desktop and deskside solutions are much more accessible and almost anyone can figure out how to add fans for cooling.

I doubt Windows will upgrade at anything like the speed it used to, even for businesses. Windows 10 was developed to ensure that as even Microsoft finally realized that people have neither the funds nor the inclination to upgrade every year. Someone should tell Aplle that as IDevices still continue to appear year on year and at about £100 more expensive than a similar Goggle based option who, I believe, only still race Apple because of people's perspective. There is, after all, little need for phones to do more than they do now unlike consoles which need better graphics all the time to compete against the PC. From what I have seen many phones now also exceed consoles in picture quality, lol! Hence the more and more common gaming apps for phones.

@66Mustang, I remember not too long ago my son scouring the internet for patches so that his Xbox games could play on his new console. So it's not just the PC although admittedly no new console will run old games any more, they gave that option up as too complicated when the Xbox went from an Intel platform to an IBM one. It isn't beyond the scope of new consoles to play old games, just not worth the money. They would rather people buy new games all the time as it's more profitable. Being a fan of Phantom Crash on the original Xbox I never wanted another as it was never patched and I objected to paying out extra. I only got a PS2 because my mum gave it to me and then went to a lot of trouble to get a refurbed PS3 to play the Guitar Hero games only to find that I had to replace controllers and games anyway. Haven't bought a console since.

TK
  • Topkitten
    Just feel I need a change so going to look at Neverwinter again. Did try it a long time ago but waiting now on installation. The downside of all internet games *sigh*.

TK
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hopefully the issues around download speeds and compatibility will be solved by cloud gaming @Topkitten and @66Mustang. I use Steam on the PC and thus any old game that's on there generally works well but there isn't a wide selection. 

I hope as well that with the emergence of cloud gaming it makes everything more accessible, since you won't need a high spec machine to play AAA titles, for example you could conceivably play GTA 5 on a smart phone.

Brightness