Housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit

louise1985
louise1985 Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
edited September 2020 in Universal Credit (UC)
I’ve been on universal credit for nearly 18 months and have been paying my own rent as where I was currently living was a private site where u could t claim housing costs the issue I have now I’ve moved into a new flat and and been told they accept housing benefit which is a bonus 
I’ve received my new tenancy agreement and reported changed on my universal credit claim and put in all my landlords details
my question is how long does it take to verify?and will an advance become available to cover my costs untill this is verified 

Thankyou 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm assuming you mean the housing element of UC and not housing benefit. Your housing element should be added onto your next payment. As it's a change of circumstances then yes an advance payment should now be available but do be aware that this will need to be repaid back from future payments, which will of course reduce those payments.

As you're privately renting then you'll be entitled to the local housing allowance for your circumstances and what you're entitled to will depend on your circumstances. Some information here. https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/benefits/local_housing_allowance_lha_for_private_renters
    Check what you're entitled to here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • louise1985
    Thanks for replying 
    yes I meant the housing part of universal credit 
    I reported my change of circumstances yesterday afternoon and input all the following I formation as how much I pay a week,the landlords details but nothing is showing on my account about an advance yes I’m aware it would need to be paid back from future payments
  • poppy123456
    As you're privately renting then they will want to see the tenancy agreement too. The reason it hasn't updated yet is because it's the weekend but it should update in the next few days.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • louise1985
    Thanks poppy 

I did leave a message on my journal asking how I upload the agreement 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    You're welcome. Did you take a look at the links i posted above to see how much you maybe entitled to for the housing element? You may have to top up your rent a little because LHA doesn't always cover the whole of the rent.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @louise1985 @poppy123456

I was just wondering why you couldnt claim before for the housing element I thought you could claim for private rented properties
  • poppy123456
    janer1967 said:
    Hi @louise1985 @poppy123456

I was just wondering why you couldnt claim before for the housing element I thought you could claim for private rented properties

Yes of course you can but there are some instances where you can't claim... if renting from a family member for example, then it's not as straight forward.
  • janer1967
    Thanks for clearing that up for me 
  • louise1985
    @janer1967
    i couldn’t claim housing element before because I was staying in a campsite/caravan site where u ain’t suppose to live all year round so the man who runs it wouldn’t except housing benefit 
  • janer1967
    Ok I see thanks for sharing
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hi @louise1985. The Change of Circumstances advance won't become available on your online account, it only allows New Claim Advances to be claimed that way. I should also point out that it isn't guaranteed - they look at 'affordability' (such as what else you're currently paying back from your UC and any other outstanding advances you owe).

You'll need to call UC (and select option 4) to ask if there any advances available to you. It  may not happen until they have verified your rent. Usually they verify by asking to see your tenancy agreement but during 'lockdown' they were verifying on trust. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • louise1985
    @Adrian_Scope

Morning
    i left message on my journal but as normal no one replies so I phoned them yesterday afternoon 
    they have left a link in my to do list so I can upload my tenancy and a new circumstances advance was available as I had never previously claimed housing costs only thing that confused me was my rent is going to be £140 a week but the advance they offered me was £168 only just covers  over a weeks rent 
  • poppy123456
    edited September 2020
    Did you check with the link i posted how much housing element you're entitled to? It will depend on your circumstances and they may not cover the whole amount.

If you live alone or with a partner then you'll be entitled to the 1 bedroom rate of LHA. If you have dependant children that live with you then it will depend on how many and their ages/sexes.
  • louise1985
    Yes I checked the rate it’s £109 a week I’ve uploaded my tenancy and a message has been left saying they will call me Friday any ideas what they will ask? 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Hi @louise1985. A Change of Circumstances advance is only ever for up to 50% of the increase/change so it should be half your monthly rent entitlement.

However I’m wondering if they’re using the Shared Room rate LHA. Are you under 35 and do they (UC) know you receive PIP?
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • louise1985
    Yes I’m 35 turned 35 in March but when they phone me I’ll make them aware I claim pip aswell any ideas what they will ask me??
  • Adrian_Scope
    Ah if you’re 35 it should definitely be at least the 1 bedroom rate. How strange! Hopefully they can clarify on Friday when they call.

It’s my understanding that they’re calling people following a change to confirm details as a means to combat fraud. 
    So they should just check the details with you. They’re also doing more ‘courtesy calls’ checking claimants understand changes with their claim etc so it could just be that. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • louise1985
    Thankyou for your help much appreciated ?
  • Adrian_Scope
    Thanks for adding that @rednax. Always helpful to hear a first-hand experience! :)
    Community Manager
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.