Video Games - Page 9 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Video Games

Comments

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Hahaha, Neverwinter was a bad idea. It kept me up all night (still haven't slept) and it has adversely affected my upper spine condition giving me lots of pain in the neck, shoulders and upper arms. Just a good job I wasn't using a controller too, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I can’t remember the last time I’ve been kept up by a video game, it used to happen a lot though, good fun :smiley:
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh dear @Topkitten, that's a shame, did you at least have fun on the game? 

And that happens to me occasionally @66Mustang, though I'm much more sensible these days in forcing myself to go to bed when it gets too late :D 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I play video games often, every day really, sometimes up to 4- 5 hours, but I have never been up all night playing, or been kept up by them. I think its because I have enough time during the day to do so and don't get as involved in playing for that that amount of time. Also don't play online. That's probably another reason.
  • Topkitten
    I'm housebound so it's TV or online games (with the odd break for other sites). I haven't been sleeping much lately and didn't waken until 2pm so I wasn't tired and just kept saying to myself "one more level", lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    "One more level" is how the regular gaming sessions turn into long ones isn't it @Topkitten? :D 

I was the same when playing through the new The Last of Us game, always wanted to find out what happened next. 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Topkitten
    yes, @Ross_Scope, that's it exactly but I'm fairly stuck into it now just a shame that although it's free it's very restricted.

TK
  • Dragonslayer
    Anyone played Kingdoms op Amular?
    I've just received my copy on PS4 it is the remastered version. Can't wait to start it. Any tips before I delve into it. I hear it could take a long time to complete and starting idea's could be useful. 

I am also close to finishing Until Dawn for the second time. It is different 2nd time around, because changes to any choices made, take you onto a new path. I'd also forgotten about the parts can than really make you jump. I's like being in a slasher film. 

• Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,836 Scope online community team
    I played the non-remastered version that came out about 10 years ago @Dragonslayer. It's a good hack and slash romp, but if I remember rightly, you could get a lot of experience just from exploring, so don't be shy about peeking into every nook and cranny.
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Dragonslayer
    Thanks @Adrian_Scope
    I will remember that. After reading reviews I think it will be a good game to keep jumping in and out of. If it is in fact as long a playtime as many say.
  • Ross_Alumni
    So the pricing for the upcoming Xbox Series X has just been announced.

The full version will cost £499 and a cheaper, less powerful version called the Xbox Series S will cost £250. You can read more about the pricing here.

What do you all think? 

Sony is yet to reveal the pricing for the PS5 but I imagine it won't be long now.

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope
    That's not a bad price really for the X Box. I'm sure the PS5 will be close to that or even a little cheaper for the sake of competition and getting buyers thinking. 
    Maybe Sony waited for Microsoft to reveal their price first to undercut them? 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Sony did exactly that last time @Dragonslayer, they waited to go second. However this time I imagine the PS5 price will be very similar to the Xbox.

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope. I think you are right. It looks like it may come down to what each console has better to offer over the other and not so much the price..
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    The Xbox S doesn't have a disk drive which puts me off a bit...  I still like physical games, even though the majority of the game is still downloaded nowadays.  I don't really understand what they mean by less powerful - surely it'll still need to be powerful enough to play any game that's sold for Xbox, so what would the real world effect of the reduced power be?

I've also just seen that the new Call of Duty has been announced...the Cold War...sounds fun, a game where nothing actually happens but we just hover over a nuclear missile button for 50 years.  :D

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I don't really understand what they mean by less powerful - surely it'll still need to be powerful enough to play any game that's sold for Xbox, so what would the real world effect of the reduced power be?
    I was thinking that too. I didn’t think consoles were like computers where you could have better or worse graphics depending on the spec of your machine, thought it was all the same for a console. Maybe it’s exactly that and games will detect what console they are in and be set to run at lower graphics settings in the cheaper model?
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    So last night Sony announced the price plan for the PS5. The main model will match the cost of the new main Xbox model, £450 in the UK.

However, the entry level consoles differ in price between the two. Sony's will cost £349 and Microsoft's cheaper Xbox will cost £249. There are differences between the two cheaper variants though, the PS5 entry level model is virtually the same as it's more expensive version except without a disk drive, whereas the cheaper Xbox model will have no disk drive, as well as other downgraded specs.

You can read more about the price plan here.

Sony also gave some details about upcoming games that will be released on the new PS5, including a new Spiderman game, a new God of War game, and most notably in my opinion a new game set in the Harry Potter universe. Read more about the event here

What are your thoughts on all this? Will anyone be pre-ordering a new console? 

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Oooo Harry Potter sounds good @Ross_Scope
    Scope

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger

What are your thoughts on all this? Will anyone be pre-ordering a new console? 
    I won't be pre-ordering, I've never been bothered by having the latest games or consoles.  But my current Xbox One is getting on a bit so I'm keeping an eye on specs and prices for when it inevitably fails. 

I must admit, I'm still pretty confused about the specs though...  I don't see how a disc drive can add £100-£200 to the price!  I only play 1 game regularly so I'm struggling to justify the £450 cost of either of the 'full' consoles.  I think if I can get away with the cheaper Xbox, that's probably the one I'd go for, though I am worried about the real-world impact of the smaller memory...

Have/Will you be pre-ordering either?
  • Ross_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    The Harry Potter based game looks incredible @Chloe_Scope, it allows you to create your own character and progress through your journey as a witch or wizard, and explore all the wizarding world. You can watch a trailer for it here.

That makes sense @OverlyAnxious, the cheaper model is the most logical choice if you're only really going to be playing one game mainly. The diskless variant has 800GB of storage I believe, which should be plenty.

I will be pre-ordering the full price version. I discussed it with my partner and she's still quite nostalgic about collecting disks, so between us we're going to get the main PS5 model, once they get back in stock. 

Brightness