Music through the decades — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music through the decades

Dragonslayer
Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
I am an avid music fan and old enough to remember the very best bands (Groups as they used to be called) over quite a few decades.
I love Rock. Classic, romantic, soft. But not over keen on heavy , but do like some.
I also love the old old pop groups of the 60's which I grew up with and remember things like Top of the Pops on TV. And listening to the singles charts on the radio, with the 'old gang' in the park every Sunday evening. 

Which band/group is now, or was back then, the best you remember?

For me Queen is among the best ever. 

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Led zeppelin, the who, roxy music and Bowie, later on I liked 10cc, wang Chung, the police. And although it was totally uncool I liked most of the ABBA songs ...sssshhh!

i expect I’ll remember more ‘as time goes by’.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    I agree Queen and Freddie Mercury were amazing and are probably one of my fave groups too.  Their music never gets old.

Other than Queen, I have an eclectic taste in music. I love U2, Arctic Monkeys, The Police, Coldplay and a bit of Diana Ross and The Supremes!  

I remember watching Top of the Pops on a Thursday night was it, on the BBC?  I used to listen to the Radio 1 top 40 charts too on a Sunday night  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @leecal 10CC's I'm not in love makes me cry every time! 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    It's years since I've actually bought any music....the last CDs I bought were Shed 7 The Verve Ocean colour Scene, Cast, Lightening Seeds Snow Patrol...no, I did buy an Adele more recently...but my first ever was Puppy Love...by Donny Osmond...bless my cotton socks...lol
  • Cher_Alumni
    My first music tape was Chaka Demus and Pliers classic song, Tease Me  :D

Some good choices there @Cress I'm a big fan of 90's indie stuff too.

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    The first LP I bought was ‘in hearing of’ by Atomic Rooster, still have it.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Billy Fury
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Dragonslayer
    @Cher_Scope I think TOP was on the BBC. Many people watched it and still miss it.
    @leeCal You have no need to shhssss or be uncool ABBA were great at the time and still have a big following today, the success of the films testify to that.

• Dragonslayer
    What about the Sixties
    The Kinks. Dave Clark five. The Hollies. The Four Seasons.
    And does anyone remember..... Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Titch? 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    A couple of you have mentioned Queen and I think the great thing about them is how they seem to transcend the generations, everyone seems to love them. 

For me, I grew up in the 2000s when people either listened to rock or emerging hip hop artists, thankfully I went down the rock path. My first CD was a Green Day one, and they remain my favourite band to this day. 

Recently bought my first vinyl, but I don't have a record player to spin it on!
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Ross_Scope ooh what vinyl?  Maybe it'll be worth adding a record player to your Christmas wish-list if you can wait that long :)

@Dragonslayer Ahhh The Kinks music is another one that never gets old.  Lola is a belter!  My fave 60's song is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Young Girl.  it always gets me singing.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Major Queen fan here!
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Dragonslayer I certainly remember Dave Dee (and the rest) was part of my parents collection and used to listen to it ofn

Im an Elvis fan cant beat 'The Wonder of You' amongst others  

I also like the old country music like Kenny Rogers, Patsy Cline Tammy Wynette

More recent are Whitney Housten, Gloria Estefan , Il Divo, Lighthouse Family, Adele and Gabrielle
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Queen? Disgusting......

I started getting into music in the 70's and there will never be a better group than Deep Purple also no better male singer than Ian Gillan and no better guitarist than Ritchie Blackmore. Of course Hawkwind are a close second and who could leave out Pink Floyd.

I did appreciate Led Zeppelin just disappointed than unlike so many back then they were a 4 man line up unlike the Brits who were usually 5.

I like various groups and individuals as my music sense has grown over the years so later on Madonna (not the early rubbish), Shakira, Anastacia, Pink and Bjork get a look in as do Fluke, U2, Eminem, Evanescence, Pendulum, Linkin Park, Trivium and Il Nino and yes I live heavy metal as well as others and so Five Finger Death Punch, Nightwish and Amaranthe are my current favorites.

In the 90's and early 2000's I was heavily into dance music and have ALL the Bonkers albums which are DJ Hardcore mixes.

Of all the CD's I have though (and I have a lot) I guess the most by a single artist would be by Prince as I have almost all of them and a special mention goes to Dragonforce as I have all theirs up to a certain point plus they have a cool name, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    I grew up in the 2000s as well so mostly newer music, but I still like a lot of old music and think it is generally better than modern music.

Some of my favourite older bands...

Led Zeppelin
    The Animals
    Genesis
    Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath

That said as a teenager I did go through a phase of liking modern rock and heavy metal music. Some bands that come to mind are:

Disturbed
    Linkin Park
    Rammstein
    Slipknot
    Pendulum
  • Dragonslayer
    I can't believe no-one has mentioned the Stones yet! What is wrong with you people? Surely I'm not the only one who likes them? 
    What about the Who, Police, and the Beatles. 
    I was never into the Beatles, never really rated them, but at least they did make some good songs.

• Dragonslayer
    Does anyone remember the track Legend of Zanadu and who made it?
    I may have the spelling out on that one?
  • Dragonslayer
    A couple of you have mentioned Queen and I think the great thing about them is how they seem to transcend the generations, everyone seems to love them. 

For me, I grew up in the 2000s when people either listened to rock or emerging hip hop artists, thankfully I went down the rock path. My first CD was a Green Day one, and they remain my favourite band to this day. 

Recently bought my first vinyl, but I don't have a record player to spin it on!

You should get a record player and add it to your collection of all the other electronic things you have.
    I read something a while ago saying that vinyl plays better than CD's

• Dragonslayer
    @Ross_Scope ooh what vinyl?  Maybe it'll be worth adding a record player to your Christmas wish-list if you can wait that long :)

@Dragonslayer Ahhh The Kinks music is another one that never gets old.  Lola is a belter!  My fave 60's song is Gary Puckett & The Union Gap's Young Girl.  it always gets me singing.I

I love the Kinks also. Waterloo sunset is a classic.

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @Chloe_Scope Me too.
    Queen are my favourite but I have a varied musical taste.

Queen
    The Eagles
    Many of the groups of the 60s and 70s

I also like to listen to some older music from light clasical through middle of the road to some of the modern day.

Brightness