Esa assessment on phone — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Esa assessment on phone

Options
Zenkoblue
Zenkoblue Community member Posts: 96 Courageous
Hi all

been a while since I posted on here final got phone call today say my esa assessment be on phone on 8th of Sep anyone else had one yet ? How did it going really anxious ? about it and I’ve not been out since virus happen so scared.

hope someone give me some advise thank you ? 
Tagged:

Comments

• male45
    male45 Community member Posts: 336 Pioneering
    Options
    Zenkoblue said:
    Hi all

been a while since I posted on here final got phone call today say my esa assessment be on phone on 8th of Sep anyone else had one yet ? How did it going really anxious ? about it and I’ve not been out since virus happen so scared.

@Zenkoblue
    Hi there. I've not had an ESA phone assessment yet but I've had a PIP telephone assessment in March and it went OK. The lady ohoned dead on the time and it took about 45 minutes. Throughout she remained polite and pleasant and never once rude unlike when I had a face to face assessment a yr previously. 
    Id rather if given the choice have a phone assessment than a F2F one.
    I know its easier said than done but do try to not stress yourself because of it. If you are not good at talking on telephones then make sure you tell the assessor that. Will you be alone when the call comes? 
     Best wishes
    Best Wishes 
  • Zenkoblue
    Options
    male45 said:
    Zenkoblue said:
    Hi all

@Zenkoblue
    Hi there. I've not had an ESA phone assessment yet but I've had a PIP telephone assessment in March and it went OK. The lady ohoned dead on the time and it took about 45 minutes. Throughout she remained polite and pleasant and never once rude unlike when I had a face to face assessment a yr previously. 
    Id rather if given the choice have a phone assessment than a F2F one.
    I know its easier said than done but do try to not stress yourself because of it. If you are not good at talking on telephones then make sure you tell the assessor that. Will you be alone when the call comes? 
     Best wishes
    Thank you for advise yeah my mam live in same place me glad she be here I would prefer phone then f2f I hate talking on phone I just hope it goes well ?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello @Zenkoblue

A lot of our members have felt the same about telephone appointments and I'm sure it's something assessors will be understanding about.  Try and not put too much pressure on yourself and speak honestly about how you are feeling.  It's been a difficult year, especially for those who have been shielding and badly affected by lockdown.  

You mentioned that you hadn't been out in a while, is that because of an impairment?  Do you have people supporting you?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Zenkoblue
    Options
    Hello @Zenkoblue

A lot of our members have felt the same about telephone appointments and I'm sure it's something assessors will be understanding about.  Try and not put too much pressure on yourself and speak honestly about how you are feeling.  It's been a difficult year, especially for those who have been shielding and badly affected by lockdown.  

You mentioned that you hadn't been out in a while, is that because of an impairment?  Do you have people supporting you?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Yup I got my mam but she not well herself think I’m agoraphobia well I’ve be diagnosed with it and this virus not help at all scared see people with face masks . I let them know about this on phone thank you for advise just hope it goes wells ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,047 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

If you kept a copy of the work capability assessment form then have a read of that before the assessment so you remind yourself of what was written on the form. Assessment times can last anything from 20 - 90 minutes, sometimes longer. You can put the phone on loud speaker so that your mum can hear what's being said and possibly prompt you with the questions, if you forget something.

Fingers crossed everyhing goes well. A week after the assessment if you live in th eUK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Options
    @Zenkoblue Ahh that sounds rough  :( Are you receiving support for your agoraphobia?  The masks can be unpleasant to see.  

@Poppy123456's advice is super helpful and I hope it provides you some comfort.  We are all here for you  :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Zenkoblue
    Options
    Hi,

If you kept a copy of the work capability assessment form then have a read of that before the assessment so you remind yourself of what was written on the form. Assessment times can last anything from 20 - 90 minutes, sometimes longer. You can put the phone on loud speaker so that your mum can hear what's being said and possibly prompt you with the questions, if you forget something.

Fingers crossed everyhing goes well. A week after the assessment if you live in th eUK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. This will give you some idea what the decision is likely to be because they mostly go with the report.

Good luck.
    Ahhh ty so much I keep forget asking for report and put phone on speaker great idea thank you.
  • Zenkoblue
    Options
    @Zenkoblue Ahh that sounds rough  :( Are you receiving support for your agoraphobia?  The masks can be unpleasant to see.  

@Poppy123456's advice is super helpful and I hope it provides you some comfort.  We are all here for you  :)
    Nope I may need to soon been stuck house so long bad but I use to it now thank you for all the advise ? make me feel bit better Oh just thinking will I get letter about phone call ?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You may or may not get a letter but if they have a mobile number they do send texts as reminders.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Do be aware also that the phone call may not happen exactly to time as they may have assessments before you that run over.
  • Cher_Alumni
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Zenkoblue I'd definitely think about speaking to your GP, they are doing telephone appointments now and could refer you to the local mental health team for support and counselling if it could help. 

• Zenkoblue
    Options
    Thank you Cher_Scope I will phone my gp yeah it seems everything on the phone now.

• Zenkoblue
    Options
    Well what turn up for books I got phone call again at 10 am let me know about assessment on phone on Tuesday damn it woke me up I not going forget or go out weird people.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Zenkoblue, how are you doing? :)
    Scope

• Zenkoblue
    Options
    Hi chloe_scope not to bad just had my phone call it was all about my fibromyalgia how it effected my day to day life now I need wait for letter see if I am still in support group took about 45 mins 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,938 Scope online community team
    Options
    Fingers crossed you're not kept waiting too long @Zenkoblue. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Zenkoblue
    Options
    I hope not I hope I’m still in support group ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you don't have to wait too long to hear back from them @Zenkoblue
    Scope

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.