Music through the decades - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music through the decades

Comments

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Love Queen, big motown fan and michael jackson to, i have an eclectic music taste and love lots of stuff,  especially film soundtracks by the composer john williams
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Do people know of the work of John Cage?

One track called 4 Minutes, 33 seconds and another called

As slow as possible.

The first is silece for the entire piece and the second requires note changes many years apart. It will take over 600 years to complete.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Does anyone remember the track Legend of Zanadu and who made it?
    I may have the spelling out on that one?
    Close enough but it's Xanadu.

Group were called Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. 

Catchy, just rolls off the tongue...  :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    My music taste is too eclectic for any single radio station.  :(   Don't really have a favourite band though!

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope it's a new album by a band called Creepr, they're a new, up and coming band who's latest album went to #5 in the UK, which is amazing for the rock genre these days. I think you're right Cher and @Dragonslayer, I should put a vinyl player on my Christmas list and start collecting more. The quality of vinyl is better than CDs, don't ask me why because I don't know :D 

@Topkitten I've had one of the new Trivium songs in regular rotation all year, not sure if you've heard their latest stuff?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    @Ross_Scope, no I haven't heard their stuff recently.

Vinyl gives better sound quality than CD's because it's an analogue signal carrying everything whereas CD's use a fairly low digital signal. However, vinyl deteriorates gradually as it becomes worn by the needle running over the surface.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Ah thanks for the explanation @Topkitten :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Assuming your favourite John Williams music is from the Star Wars films, what is your favourite Star Wars tune @Grinchy? Mine has to be the Mos Eisley Cantina song, but every piece of music in the films is so good. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Tori_Scope
    Queen are obviously great. If we're talking classic bands, I also love REM. They're one of my favourite bands of all time I think!

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I like caravan palace, lone digger for example. (Don’t like the video though)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Do you like electro swing in general @leeCal? I'm always looking for more recommendations 

• Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,807 Disability Gamechanger
    Hey @Tori_Scope i  like the cantina theme to, at present i have the ET soundtrack playing, anything by him is good shindlers list is another favourite
  • leeCal
    Hi @Tori_Scope I do like electro swing but I don’t know of any other bands particularly, I just happened across them one day on Tv and thought wow, I like this! The sound is terrific, great stuff.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Does anyone remember the track Legend of Zanadu and who made it?
    I may have the spelling out on that one?
    Close enough but it's Xanadu.

Group were called Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich. 

Catchy, just rolls off the tongue...  

@OverlyAnxious Thanks for that. Now I remember. 
    I must really be getting old ?
  • Tori_Scope
    You might like some songs by Parov Stelar @leeCal. I particularly like Catgroove, Booty Swing, and All Night. I also like Liquid Lunch by Caro Emerald. 

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    I have to say, I am not familiar with a lot of the bands, or music a lot people are posting. That is probably my age showing. But I do like dance music, or elecrro? That is probably incorrect. in fact I really don't know what they call it, or the musicians playing it? It is put together by disc jockeys? Wow that's sounds ancient now! ?
    Sorry I must be raising eyebrows now. Most, or everyone reading this will be scratching their heads and wondering what I'm talking about!! ?
    I need help..... Please. ?

• Tori_Scope
    I also get confused with the difference between electro, EDM, dance music, the different genres of House, and so on @Dragonslayer :D You've just got to fake it 'til you make it, and pull out phrases like "I love the fusion of genres here, how progressive" and "This beat is great, you can really feel where they got their influence from".

As for who makes the music, I believe that a producer makes the music, and the DJ will mix it, adding effects or blending it with other tracks, that kind of thing. I could be wrong though! 

• leeCal
    The beat and echo and the bunnymen, the eurythmics all good stuff.china and wang Chung. No dea what you call the music I just like it sometimes whatever it’s called, and I doesn’t make me a this or a that either. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    I like that outlook @leecal. I'm the same, I like what I like and I don't worry too much about what it's called or what other people think of it! Not knowing the name of a genre is annoying when you're trying to find similar music though

• OverlyAnxious
    Can't say I've heard of Echo and the Bunnymen, I wonder if that was the inspiration for Catfish and the Bottlemen?

@Tori_Scope I like House but not sure I could separate all the different types!  :D  Deep house, piano house, acid house, euphoric house, electro house...  The thing with house it's always cheerful, even if the subject matter isn't.  :)

Brightness