Music through the decades - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music through the decades

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious I've heard of tropical house, future house, and French house too, but I don't think I could identify them! I'm not massively into house but they play it so much in clubs and at parties I got so used to hearing it. I quite like UK garage, which I think has its roots in house?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Ooh, just Googled tropical house and it looks like there's plenty of my tracks under that sub-heading. I've learnt something there!  Also looks like there's Techno House as well (New track 'All 4 Love' has caught my ear this morning!)

I've never been to a club because of all the people, and noise, and the fact it's outside of my home...  :s   But really like club music ironically!  Still wish I'd been to Ibiza when I was a teenager...and acid house raves (albeit before I was born!)...and maybe Club Tropicana...  :D  As well as rock concerts and music festivals...tbh I'll listen to most things haha! 

Yeah I think you're right that UKG started as house, though some of it has moved too far away from that for me personally!  :)

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    What about Punk Rock. Sid Visious and the like.
    That was something I was not into.
  • Tori_Scope
    Nice @OverlyAnxious! Interesting... I bet there are absolutely loads of sub-genres.

Nothing wrong with that! I think clubbing is overrated personally, but it can be good fun sometimes. I've never been to Ibiza or anywhere like that, but based on some of the stories I've heard I'm not that sad about it :D 
    Club Tropicana
    The drinks are free!

I like a mix of genres too. 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    I was going to a gig where the clash were performing @Dragonslayer and we opened a pair of double plate glass doors to go in and the noise was so loud, I mean painfully loud and so we turned around and left immediately. We had too! The clash were punk rock...pardon? I’m sure many people damaged their hearing irreparably in that era.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• OverlyAnxious
    I have the odd Punk Rock song on my car playlist....  Singing 'I am an anarchist' along with Johnny Rotten whilst cruising at 30mph on my way to Tesco gives me a chuckle...  :D

Also, have you ever noticed how The Clash appear to sing 'Lock The Taskbar' way before Windows existed, let alone had an intuitive user interface?  Sorry, you won't be able to unhear it now!  :D

• Tori_Scope
    edited September 2020
    I'm now jamming out to this while I work @OverlyAnxious :D 

boy dancing in a club

• OverlyAnxious
    edited September 2020
    Just remembered another band that I quite like but always forget!

Simply Red.  I never used to be a fan, but then something got me started.  ;)
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Simply red are so good!  You have inspired my play-list for the next hour  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Dragonslayer
    Jimi Hendrix  Was he the greatest guitarist ever?
    And what about the great Bob Marley. 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
     No - Slowhand is the best guitarist imho. :)
  • leeCal

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    What a hard list that must have been to make, when we think about how many incredible artists have picked up a guitar and created memorable music. It's almost impossible to pick a number one.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    I agree @Ross_Scope a very difficult task. perhaps the best guitarist could entertain solo without a band, that night whittle the list down somewhat?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    My view is that the “best” guitarist is entirely dependant on the opinion and taste of whoever is judging. Music isn’t really something where there is some definitive linear way of scoring - musicians don’t have a way of being measured to define who is better or worse than someone else, it’s all just opinion. It is not clear like running the 100m where someone who can do it in 10 seconds is better than someone who can do it in 11 seconds.

Just my random thoughts after a whisky :D
  • Dragonslayer
    Slash. (Saul Hudson) I is regarded as one of the best guitarists ever.
    @66Mustang It is hard to say if 'someone' is the best. It is in the view of the listeners. The one way to pick the best is the most famous I suppose.
    For me it is the player with the greatest variety of music they play and the more other people that have played with along with the most tracks they have been involved in. 
    A good guitarist can make or break a song. 
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I am a massive rock music fan. especially stuff like queen and the who. I am also a  massive fan of pink Floyd and AC/DC. As for favourite guitarist I haven't really got one but my dad says that Richie Sambora is his favourite.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited September 2020
    What's your favourite Pink Floyd song @deb74?

• leeCal
    One of the very best bassists is Gary Tibbs of Roxy music, if you have time just listen to his work on the title track of manifesto called manifesto.and a track called Trash.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Hi Tori-Scope. It would have to be wish you were here. Closely followed by comfortably numb.

Brightness