Change in role — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Change in role

debbielkl
debbielkl Community member Posts: 36 Listener
edited September 2020 in Work and employment
I work in a call centre but as admin. My employer has told me today as of today I will need to now change to telephone based role. I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis and explained the pain in my jaw is horrific, if I talk all day I will be in agony. It’s already really restricted and may need operating in. They have nothing else for me but my job has gone. Do I leave but I can’t afford too or do I speak to HR? 
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbielkl Welcome to the community

Dont just leave, if your job no longer exists and they do not have a suitable alternative then this is a redundancy situation

If the job they have offered you is not suitable due to your disability this could possibly be dealt with as a medical dismissal

Are you in a union if so seek their advice or the advice from ACAS

You can also speak to HR and seek their advice on the company policy relating to change in role, redundancy and medical dismissal

Come back if you need any further help
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbielkl - & welcome to the community. I'm pleased you've already had some great advice, which I am sure will help. Let us know how you get on. :)
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi Hun no dont leave they have to make reasonable adjustments for you they cant just change your job like that x 
  • debbielkl
    Thank you. My employer have said the phone role is suitable. I’m awaiting an occ health report. I don’t have a union but have tried acas who have advised the same.
    its a huge company and the managers are lovely so I feel awkward saying it doesn’t work but I’ll see how I get on. Thanks again 
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Hi Hun 

I have just gone threw hell with a previous employer and acas were extremely helpful for me. If there nice then they will understand . If they dont have a job for you they have to find one or compensate you financially they cant just they dont have any thing, I know its hard challenging things especially when people are nice. My previous employer was horrible so made it easier but when there nice I understand but you cant be left out of pocket for some you can not help .  
  • janer1967
    Hi again 

Unfortunately employers are able to change your job role and often do if there has been a restructure or maybe the service they provide has changed so the role is no longer there.

If the role no longer exists then this is a redundant position and they must follow their redundancy policy

Some employers change just aspects of the role add on or take off some of the duties and again they can do this with the required notice to employees

Companies have to be able to do this or they could never move forward

You are doing the best thing by getting advice from OH and it sounds like the company is reasonable so I am sure you will all come to an agreement
  • debbielkl
    So today again I’m told all afternoons it’s the new role. They haven’t even acknowledged what we discussed. My occ health is Thursday, I have to suffer till then, because they said it works better for them. (My role is still there somebody else does it in the afternoon). They didn’t come back as promised With options. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Really sorry to hear that @debbielkl. I hope you can hang on until Thursday and get something sorted.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @debbielkl, I really hope today goes well. :)
    Scope

• debbielkl
    Thank you, my occ health report has said I cannot do the new role everyday and they suggest finding another role. My manager has turned quite rude and seems annoyed (I think it’s because I told her months ago and she didn’t pass it on).
    im finding it awkward and stressful now. I presume they will come back to me soon 
  • janer1967
    Hi glad the oh is sorted but that your manager is annoyed and being rude I would suggest you discuss your concerns with your HR department and if nothing is done to follow up in your assessment lodge a grievance 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear they're being rude @debbielkl. Have you heard anything yet? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    This sounds really stressful @debbielkl, how have things been?
    Scope

• debbielkl
    @Chloe_Scope
    I’m off sick with stress this week. I have been told to either do the new role against the occ health and they will give extra breaks, (but then I believe they will performance manage me out)  or find a new job within the company but I will have to interview as normal and they advised there might not actually be any. So I’m a little lost at the minute. 

• Chloe_Scope
    I'm really sorry @debbielkl. It might be worth getting in touch with ACAS to see what say. They offer independent employment advice.

Scope

Brightness