My goal today - Page 13 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My goal today

Comments

• Lou_Scope
    Lou_Scope Community member Posts: 21 Courageous
    @janer1967 Thank you :) It really has been difficult and I've had no ideas from my son. Having a teenage son yourself I am sure you'll understand. We've decided on a family game night that I am sure will end in chaos and possibly end up with a board tipping over because I have three very competitive boys. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Lou_Scope That sounds like it will be fun, we went bowling then out for a meal with family, good job it was before the new covid measures as there were 10 of us

@Cher_Scope Sounds lovely have a wonderful time and Happy Birthday for Sunday
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope happy birthday for Sunday and have a great rest on holiday, I think there are dolphins out that way somewhere.

as for reading seeming of use to the community I have read something today which I’ll post in a while which may be of interest. But it may belong in the mental health section? Let’s see.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you everyone.  Another year old, another year (questionably) wiser  :D
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    ‘...In teaching, the Buddha never spoke of humans as persons existing in some fixed or static way. Instead, he described us as a collection of five changing processes: the processes of the physical body, of feelings, of perceptions, of responses, and of the flow of consciousness that experiences them all. Our sense of self arises whenever we grasp at or identify with these patterns. The process of identification, of selecting patterns to call “I,” “me,” “myself,” is subtle and usually hidden from our awareness. We can identify with our body, feelings, or thoughts; we can identify with images, patterns, roles, and archetypes.

Thus, in our culture, we might fix and identify with the role of being a woman or a man, a parent or a child. We might take our family history, our genetics, and our heredity to be who we are. Sometimes we identify with our desires: sexual, aesthetic, or spiritual. In the same way we can focus on our intellect or take our astrological sign as an identity. We can choose the archetype of hero, lover, mother, ne’er-do-well, adventurer, clown, or thief as our identity and live a year or a whole lifetime based on that. To the extent that we grasp these false identities, we continually have to protect and defend ourselves, strive to fulfill what is limited or deficient in them, to fear their loss.

Yet, these are not our true identity. One master with whom I studied used to laugh at how easily and commonly we would grasp at new identities. As for his non-self, he would say, “I am none of that. I am not this body, so I was never born and will never die. I am nothing and I am everything. Your identities make all your problems. ...’

The above is an excerpt from an article written by Jack Kornfield, a Buddhist monk and clinical psychologist.

Our chosen identities are a means to an end. They allow us to have a sense of meaning in our lives which is good and healthy but often we don’t realise that they are vehicles for unconscious and subconscious expression and we can become obsessed and possessed by them. This can cause feelings of anxiety and fear of loss and perhaps feelings of failure etc. It’s a question of balance, of achieving with acceptance that sometimes goals will not be realised in full. Of understanding that the joy is in the journey and the reaching of the goal a stepping stone to the next journey rather than a final resting place. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I was catching up with all of your lovely comments, and then remembered that I still haven't fulfilled my one goal of buying a clothes horse ?‍♀️ 

Off to the Argos website I go. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal That's a great reading and I love your interpretation.  The need to be in control can be destructive, it's more helpful to let go and think whatever happens I can handle it.  
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry @Cher_Scope
    belated birthday wishes to you I hope had a fantastic day 
    I appreciate the great advice the scope community give on how get help with spec television script the free bbc writers room on how write a fantastic story for script and how create your own characters which I signed up yesterday and looking forward to this Saturday 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Morning everyone!

Firstly, happy birthday to your son @Lou_Scope and happy birthday for Sunday @Cher_Scope!!!

Sounds like you've all been busy. :)

My goal for this weekend is get some writing done and finish The Sinner on Netflix - nothing too exciting.  :D  
    Scope

• Lou_Scope
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope ??
    Happy writing and I haven’t seen The Sinner I might have a look at that myself.
    I was looking for pictures of my 13yr old this morning for his birthday and I found my youngest sons goals when starting school. I thought it was interesting that even 5yr olds have goals. 
    My goal this weekend is to make sure we all have lots of family fun. Being a family of five it’s just us for birthday celebrations but I feel positive that this is a good thing ???

• Lou_Scope
    Oops and Happy Birthday @Cher_Scope I hope you have lots of fun and celebrations too and cake of course ?
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Sounds lovely @Lou_Scope
    Scope

• leeCal
    @Lou_Scope I had a family of six and birthdays were great fun with just us.
    Enjoy, as they say?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    My goal today wasnt a good one but I have done it.

I have been thinking about this for a long time and decided to end my relationship I just dont love my boyfriend no matter how hard I have tried and even though I should as he is a great person and support.

I think I may have put up walls after being do hurt in the past, but I know seep down I could never live with him and he deserves to be with someone who can love him

Dont worry I am ok and quite relieved I have finally owned up to how I feel its a weight off my mind to be honest
  • leeCal
    Commiserations @janer1967 I wish you well.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm sorry to hear that @janer1967, but I'm glad that you've been able to take that step for the sake of the happiness of both of you. You also deserve to be with someone who loves you, and who you love, if, and whenever, you want it :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
  • leeCal
    Well my goal is to find something fun to do today, after all it is Saturday. Perhaps a ride in the car later.
    anyone else doing anything fun today?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,355 Disability Gamechanger
    I looking forward to getting some free advice on how write a television show from the bbc writer’s room this afternoon I can not wait 

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• leeCal
    That sounds brilliant @Globster ! An exciting day ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness