Music through the decades - Page 4 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music through the decades

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Those are two of my favourites as well @deb74! I love Time and Money too. Really just any song by them though to be fair...
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Great song choices!
    Scope

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Does anyone remember Enya? And the haunting songs she made? 
    Whatever happened to her?
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    She stopped haunting! ? 

i think she just semi retired, lovely music I agree.
    last released ‘Dark Sky Island’ late 2015

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    Would I be the only person that doesn't really like the Beatles? Or Elvis Presley?
    Sure they made some good records.  After all of the ones that made there has to be some everyone likes and remembers. But still to 'worship' them as some people do goes a tad too far. Doesn't it? 
    Or do I not understand? ?

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I am with you @Dragonslayer - yes they made some good music but I would not adore anyone so much simply because they made some good tunes. I think being a successful musician is as much about winning the crowd as it is making good music. The musicians you mention must have had a PR team equally as good at their job as they were at their music! If you take a “successful” musician today like Justin Bieber, he just has a very good PR and public image - I’m sure there are better musicians out there who are not good with people so don’t get the same publicity so are less “successful” if you see what I mean? Just no one will ever know of them so they won’t be seen as “good” musicians.
  • leeCal
    I agree with you @Dragonslayer, very much so.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Dragonslayer
    @66Mustang You make a very good point there. There is much, much more to making good music other than just strumming a guitar and having good PR behind them. 
    If people want to 'adore' a band or musician then that's OK. I just like music and songs from all genres without following anyone in particular. Like many people I just like what I like at the time. 
  • Dragonslayer
    It may be my age, but a great deal of music today appears to have no meaning!
    It seems that Lyrics dont matter anymore and there is no need to tell a story in the song?
    Many writers a while ago put their life experiences into much of what they wrote, but it appears that is no longer the case. Of course there are many bands and singers today that do, but in general it seems not to be the norm?

Maybe it's just me. I suppose back in (my day) Older people thought the same of the music I loved. ?

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you have a point but I think you also have a point that older people probably thought the same when you were younger too! Personally I think they are regurgitating the same topics these days and I find it very refreshing when I come across a song that’s about something different to the normal topics people sing about (romance, money, success/failure etc.).
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    deb74 said:
    Hi Tori-Scope. It would have to be wish you were here. Closely followed by comfortably numb.
    I'm only now realising that wasn't a Scissor Sister original, had no idea it was a cover!  :| 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    It may be my age, but a great deal of music today appears to have no meaning!
    It seems that Lyrics dont matter anymore and there is no need to tell a story in the song?
    Many writers a while ago put their life experiences into much of what they wrote, but it appears that is no longer the case. Of course there are many bands and singers today that do, but in general it seems not to be the norm?

Maybe it's just me. I suppose back in (my day) Older people thought the same of the music I loved. ?

A lot of modern songs have hidden meanings...  Meanings that I'd rather not know once I've found them!!  Recently realised AJ Tracey isn't singing about inclement weather in his song 'Rain'!  :#

It's definitely an age thing though.  5/10 years ago I could pretty much name any song in the charts...now I look at the Top40 and can't even place the artists!  I do listen to 'current' radio everyday as well so should absorb it!  
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    late on this thread but does anyone remember the guitar player from the shadows Hank Marvin, I know I am showing my age here but used to really like some of the music they played without any lyrics especially Apache
  • Dragonslayer
    I loved the shadows, @janer1967 as did many others back then. Hank Marvin was and still is regarded as one of the best guitarists and was certainly a pioneering one. Apache is a classic but is on!y one of many others. I remember Wonderful Life as one of them. They also did a lot of backing for Cliff Richard. Although I wasn't a great fan on his. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes I agree not much of a cliff fan myself but remember the Shadows backing him 

Will have to find some of their stuff to listen to been ages since I listened to any of their stuff 
  • leeCal
    @janer1967 I remember Hank Marvin, great sound too
    apache 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhIs1k8yuPU

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you @leeCal - I enjoyed listening to 'Apache' again.
    I don't know if its an age thing, but I feel those of us of 'a certain age' probably had parents that didn't understand/like the music we were listening to.....& this was probably the biggest generation gap music wise.
    My son used to borrow my music tapes, & enjoyed listening to them. The only thing is he says don't play 'American Pie' by Don McLean, as he has the song repeating in his head for days! However we both feel 'Vincent' from his album is his best song. We both like singer-songwriters (tho he doesn't appreciate Leonard Cohen).
    He still likes the music of years ago; his wife listens to more recent music.
    Have any of you heard of Harry Chapin? :)
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @chiarieds I know exactly what you mean..In my case it was a bit different.  My parents used to listen to such programmes as Friday night is music night and we had a programme on The Light Service, (Radio 4 for the youngsters among us), on a Sunday called Sing Something Simple.  What do we all think about Comedy records?  There are so many funny ones.
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    @roberttaylor570 I’ve heard of this one, when Father papered the parlour 1912, funny
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=akX8ooGIzFM

i haven’t heard of Harry Chapin @chiarieds

― Dalai Lama XIV

• roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    @leeCal I used to love that one when I was a child.

How about this one?

Video for if it wasnt for the houses in between youtube
    3:22
    Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises If It Wasn't For The 'Ouses In Between · Gus Elen London ...
    8 Nov 2014 · Uploaded by Gus Elen - Topic

Brightness