What were your most and least favourite lessons at school? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What were your most and least favourite lessons at school?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
I am interested to hear what your favourite and least favourite subjects at school were, and why?

My favourite was science, or in particular physics, although I liked all aspects of science! Runners up are maths (yes seriously :D) and technology - I really liked making things like circuit boards.

My least favourite was PE. I didn’t like anything about it really. No redeeming features :D. Although, I think this was possibly down to it being a group-based lesson as I got bullied at school so I wasn’t a popular kid during things like selections! My runner up here is drama as I hated performing or speaking in front of others!

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite was drama as I enjoyed being on stage and lived the school concerts we did . I also had dance classes from being young so used to performing 

Next would be home economics liked to cook 

Worst wound be science and I still don't like sci fi followed closely by geography 
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,411 Disability Gamechanger
           I loved maths and English literature but hated French,
          and as for history didn't see the point :neutral:
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    My most favourite was English literature and language.  I've always enjoyed writing and it was fun to let my imagination run wild and be creative.

My worst was physical education.  To put it mildly, I have never been the athletic type.  

Great thread  :)
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2020
    I hated school completely but English was best.
    chemistry was worst of all, in fact we played up so much our chemistry teacher would come in, fill a whole blackboard with writing and leave immediately. Consequently we all failed chemistry o level.

PE was fine, I was in the rugby team until it started to seriously hurt when I was fifteen. Football came a close second but no team place. ☹️

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Great answers everyone, thank you for posting, I enjoyed reading your replies:smiley:
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967 opposite of me almost hahaha :D
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite subjects were English & Geography; the worst, P.E. (altho I didn't mind tennis in the summer) & Latin. :s
  • 66Mustang
    Ooh I wouldn’t have minded learning Latin!

Did anyone have a favourite or least favourite subject that was influenced by the teacher that taught that subject? I often hear people say they liked or disliked a subject because of the teacher. However, I had some poor science teachers and some really good PE teachers, yet science was still my favourite and PE was still my worst subject!
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Great thread, my favourite lesson was PE as I loved being outside and my worst lesson was maths- really didn't like it or understand it. Thank you. 
  • WestHam06
    Sorry to add to this thread as I've only just posted but have just read your previous post @66Mustang. I was never really a fan of English until my teacher went on maternity leave and we had a cover for the last 6 weeks of term. This teacher was amazing and completely changed my perspective of English and I ended up loving it. Unfortunately, a few months later, they passed away due to a car accident so I always say that my GCSE's in English Literature and Language were due to them and I was extremely lucky to have been taught by them. Thank you. 
  • 66Mustang
    @WestHam06 it is really interesting to hear about your temporary English teacher. I'm very sorry to hear of their passing but glad you feel you got the GCSEs due to them. :) Thanks for sharing.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I started psychology at A-Level, but did really enjoy it! I also enjoyed textiles.

I was never a fan of maths...
    Scope

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I wasn't a fan of English or French...basically anything where I could be asked to speak!  Never did like English Lit either...for a class full of mopey teenagers they seemed to pick the most depressing books and poems possible!  

I liked history, partly because of the teacher, partly because of the subject...right up until GCSE year where the topic was Medicine Through Time...  All about bodies and bodily fluids and plagues and needles etc...  Unsurprisingly I didn't fly through that exam!  Fortunately the earlier coursework was on wartime Germany which I was much better at and that brought the overall grade up to a D...

Also didn't like Biology for the same reason as above!  Though we had a slightly squeamish teacher which was interesting when it came to dissections...  I just hid at the back of the class out of the way of that lol.

Also didn't like food tech...hmm, I'm now realising how many subjects were affected by own problems, rather than being a simple opinion of like or dislike!

I did like maths and Physics, but I think my favourite subject was probably what we called DT (woodwork/metalwork etc).   Still have a few of the items I made in that class though I'm not sure I could do it for a living...the band saw always terrified me lol, students weren't allowed to use it luckily!
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    @Chloe_Scope psychology is a subject that really interests me. Did you not complete the A level? I also quite liked textiles and remember my teacher saying I was good at it, for a boy :D I wonder if that would be classed as sexist these days.

@OverlyAnxious we did medicine through time as well! Yes I can imagine it being tricky with your issues :| were you not given any handicap or anything to allow for the fact you found certain lessons difficult? Good choice with DT as a favourite subject, that was always good fun.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious we did medicine through time as well! Yes I can imagine it being tricky with your issues :| were you not given any handicap or anything to allow for the fact you found certain lessons difficult? 
    I hadn't 'come out' as having mental issues at the time so wasn't treated any differently to the rest of the class.  Got average grades and didn't cause any disruption so was just assumed to be shy I guess.  It's my own fault really, I might not be in the position I am now if I'd been more honest and open about it back then.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
     I enjoyed psychology A level so much I passed it! I didn’t like philosophy half as much as I thought I would but the teacher was highly competitive, it may have been her first year teaching I suppose but she totally ruined it for me. We had to battle ur way through the meanings of the most simple of words before getting to the larger concepts and it wore me down frankly. I read a bit about it now alone from time to time. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    edited October 2020
    I hated secondary school, if I hadn't become besties with my ex I would've walked out and caught the Bus home on the first day in September 1987. Best lessons? English with Mrs Rowe, or drama with Mr Kearns the Scouser, nice bloke, I also had a crush on Mrs Townshend, the French teacher! It was kind of a Gomez Addams thing, loved it when she spoke French lol.

I did hate PE though, I was never any good at it, especially when I got bullied for not being able to hit or catch the ball in Rounders, the English equivalent of Baseball.

I also hated Spanish, mainly because the teacher made Victor Meldrew look like the happiest man in the world! And I thought I was grumpy lol.

And RE, I've never been religious, apart from Weddings, Christenings and Funerals I've been to Church about 4 times in 44 and half years nearly.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    My favourite was Maths, then Englash. My worst was PE/games and history!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious we did medicine through time as well! Yes I can imagine it being tricky with your issues :| were you not given any handicap or anything to allow for the fact you found certain lessons difficult? 
    I hadn't 'come out' as having mental issues at the time so wasn't treated any differently to the rest of the class.  Got average grades and didn't cause any disruption so was just assumed to be shy I guess.  It's my own fault really, I might not be in the position I am now if I'd been more honest and open about it back then.
    Oh that makes sense. It was more or less the same for me. They talked about getting me a "statement of needs" or some such thing, but as I didn't cause any disruption and my predicted grades were above the minimum they wanted for all students they decided against it and I was just left to get on with it haha.
  • WestHam06
    Thank you  @66Mustang for your kind words and for starting this thread to enable me to share this :) Thank you
    @OverlyAnxious and @66Mustang I too remember studying medicine through time during my history GCSE but I think my favourite was wartime Germany, thank you for sharing.  

Brightness