Hi, my name is taiba78692! Can I be stopped from going to Friday prayer for not wearing a mask? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is taiba78692! Can I be stopped from going to Friday prayer for not wearing a mask?

taiba78692
taiba78692 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I would like to ask as, I feel iv been harassed to wear a face mask in a mosque even though I explained I have a medical condition both physical and mental...

I was told if I have an illness I shouldn't be there. Because there was a scene made in front of all the congregation I said give me a mask il wear it, when bought I tried and felt uncomfortable so I had to take it off....

Can I be stopped going to friday prayer?

Iv never been challenged like this at the Drs, shopping, work or any other public place.

Iv been attending the same mosque without a mask for 5 weeks and have had no issues....
The person made me feel very uncomfortable and distressed and I felt as if I'm not welcomed in the place of worship.

Where do I stand...

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @taiba78692 - welcome to this online community. I am sorry for the distressing experience you had. Perhaps this member of your congregation was confused when you spoke about your medical conditions, & thought perhaps you may have Covid-19 as the word 'illness' was mentioned?
    Unfortunately some of our members who are unable to wear a face mask have also been challenged, but in shops.
    Scope has some information on this page, if you scroll down to 'Some people do not have to wear mask.' See: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/face-masks-personal-protective-equipment-PPE/
    You can either print off an exemption card, or buy a lanyard & card.
    I hope this may help, although I know you shouldn't have to explain, perhaps just showing this card may help, as I can see no reason for you being stopped going to Friday prayer.
    As you haven't had any problems for the past 5 weeks attending your mosque, perhaps if you have a card (or one with a lanyard), this will stop this from happening again.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Welcome to the community @taiba78692 :) I'm also sorry to hear that you had that experience.

As @chiarieds pointed out, there are a number of different things you can do to show that you're exempt from wearing a mask. Have you been able to take a look at the link they posted? 

I haven't found anything online to suggested that you should be stopped from attending Friday prayer if you have a 'valid' exemption, such as the mental and physical conditions you mentioned in your post, either.

Also, just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Disabled People category of the community.

How have you been getting on today?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @taiba78692, I just wanted to check in to see how you are doing. :)
    Scope

Brightness