What were your most and least favourite lessons at school? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What were your most and least favourite lessons at school?

2»

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,365 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    I didn’t do wartime Germany I think I did Northern Ireland instead which I found good. I bet it was interesting to learn about the war from the German point of view.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    If you'd like to read about WW11 from the German perspective, try 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer. I read it some years ago, & we often got asked for it in our bookshop.
  • 66Mustang
    Thanks for the recommendation @chiarieds :)
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @66Mustang
                               Wow, Northern Ireland, I imagine that was really interesting, please may I ask, what did the specification for this topic entail? Thank you. Yes, Wartime Germany was really interesting, particularly gaining insight into the years that led up to the start of the war. I really enjoyed history and as I say this was my favourite topic but I think what also helped was I had a really good teacher, who used a variety of teaching techniques including acting different events out to ensure everyone in the class was able to learn in a way that worked for them. They were a fantastic teacher and I was lucky to be in a good class. I did well in history and that was due to the teacher. Thank you. 
    Thank you for recommending that book @chiarieds :) 
  • Deresha
    Deresha Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    My favourite lesson was maths. Not because I was brill at it, although I was okay, but because the teacher was just awesome. She went to great lengths to teach me equations because I was going to fail otherwise.  One day, she popped into my form room at the start of the day, she said  she had brought in some old scales and a bag of fruit, and invited me to lunch. Embarrassed in front of my pals I accepted. That lunchtime, that day, the penny dropped. I passed my maths GCSE with a grade A because of that lady. A true teacher.  

Ironically my son, who is autistic, is a visual maths learner. Our homeschool maths days are quiet drama-filled. I guess it was meant to be.

I hated languages, and eventually got permission to drop french as a subject at all at GCSE, as it was hopeless.  Instead, I got to spend 3 hours per week extra doing my art coursework (which also resulted in an A grade). Some years later I learned BSL and Makaton. Who says languages have to be spoken, or graded?

Widow/Mum to a child who is ventilator dependent via tracheostomy, he is deaf and autistic, and homeschooled.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    My least favourite lesson started at 9 a.m, everyday, my most favourite stopped at 3-45 p.m everyday, the bit in-between was just time spent waiting to leave school.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• 66Mustang
    @WestHam06 it was a few years ago so my memory of it is a little hazy. However, it started with learning about Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland, going back a few hundred years. However the main content of the course was learning about the events leading up to “The Troubles” and of course the troubles themselves. It was quite a grim subject actually, both sides did some awful stuff, and to think it wasn’t very long ago is quite scary. Sorry I can’t go into more detail but I may dig my history book out at some point and have a read as I am interested again now. :)
  • 66Mustang
    @Deresha it’s great to hear you had such a good maths teacher. My maths teacher was similar and no matter how many times someone didn’t understand, he wouldn’t give up trying to explain again and again (in different ways) and wouldn’t get frustrated. I agree with what you say about the languages. :)
  • 66Mustang
    @woodbine I think a lot of people can relate to that haha. :D But if you had to choose a favourite subject, did you have one?
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Don't think I've commented here yet :D 

I really enjoyed German. Mainly because I was good at it, but also I had a really fun teacher and I enjoyed being able to mutter things in a different language to confuse my friends.

I never liked P.E. As a person with sight loss there wasn't much I could do well, if at all. Normally ended up taking the score of whatever game was going on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness