Visual Impaired Members - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visual Impaired Members

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with the referral @Sparklebright62, let us know how you get on :) 

I'm sure the low vision clinic will be able to give you some answers and advice on any treatments, in my experience of going to those clinics they've always been fantastic. 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi a;;

Further to my hospital appointment yesterday I now have to have an injection every month to my eye to reduce some swelling and also have now been registered as partially sighted

I am blind in one eye and reduced vision in the other due to glaucoma and several severe bleeds, there is no room left for anymore laser treatment. They are trying their best to preserve my vision and there are other further treatments available, so fingers crossed
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @janer1967, that must have been a lot to take in. How are you feeling about it all?
    Scope

• janer1967
    @Chloe_Scope I feel ok I knew it was coming really 

Now have to surrender my driving licence which is upsetting but I haven't drove for 3 years now after my amputation I could have got an adapted car but with the sight problems this isnt an option 

Added bonus I now have a valid excuse not to be the nominated driver if out 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I get that, still can be tough when it does actually happen. Have you been to a low vision clinic at all @janer1967 ? They obviously can't help with driving, but might be able to offer equipment and support to make other things a bit easier. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    @Chloe_Scope no I haven't I am waiting to be contacted by the team and I think they do an assessment so hoping I will get some info and tips then 

I'm not too sure how it all works 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Hopefully there are some treatments that they can provide for you @janer1967 and the useful vision you do have can be preserved :) 

Does your local authority have a sensory needs service? May also be worth getting in touch with them as well to see if there are any recommendations they can make.

Hope you're managing okay :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    @Ross_ScopeI was only referred last week to the service so hoping when they contact me they can offer some suggestions and services that can help me

I am doing ok been like this a while its just now it has been recognised by the medical team, my son helps me a lot would be lost without him. I know lots parents cant wait for their kids to leave home but I am dreading it. Not be for a while yet though he only 14 
  • Ross_Alumni
    I'm glad that your son helps you out a lot @janer1967, he sounds lovely :) 

As you say, he won't be leaving for a while yet and I suppose the advantage of that is that it gives you time to prepare for whenever that time comes. I'm sure you will manage perfectly well but I understand why you aren't looking forward to it.

• Chloe_Scope
    I hope they are in touch soon @janer1967! If you are unsure how it works, here is some information from RNIB which might help. Please do let us know how you get on. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    Thanks @Chloe_Scope some very useful stuff there 
  • Sparklebright62
    Sparklebright62 Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Hi to all,

I went to hospital on Tuesday and had a field test which I failed again doc said not relevant for some reason and has referred me for a brain scan in a few weeks.To see if I have something pressing on my nerves.Nice Not.
    So will go from there.
    And as for walking into the doors ect I have to contact my gp and for balance issues 2.

Sparklebright62

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I can imagine that'd be a bit worrying @Sparklebright62. I hope that the scan goes okay :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Best of luck with the scan, hope all goes well :) 

• Chloe_Scope
  • Sparklebright62
    edited October 2020
    Chole  Scope,

Thankyou for your reply.

Sparklebright62

• Sparklebright62
    Hi to all,

I went back to the doctors the other day when I went for an injection in my shoulder and was told I have rheumatiod arthritis.
    As all my ligaments are rubbery and keep getting swelling too.
    So hopefully I will now get treated for the condition and not be pushed from pillow to post.

Sparklebright62.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Fingers crossed this is the start of getting things sorted @Sparklebright62 :) Have they told you what the next step is? I know that some of our other members also live with rheumatoid arthritis, so if you ever need support from people who understand what you're going through it could be worth making a post about it.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Hi @Sparklebright62 I too have poor sight.  My right eye has been as good as blind since birth as it never taught itself to see so only picks up extremely little light .  My left eye is not perfect.  I am therefore Registered Blind and have been for many years.  I attended a school for the Visually Impaired and found this to be the best education I could have had.

I hope you are well and not bumping into too much.
    Thank you for sharing @roberttaylor570. Hello @Sparklebright62 I hope you are both safe and well?
  • csno01
    csno01 Community member Posts: 387 Pioneering
    Hi to all,

I went back to the doctors the other day when I went for an injection in my shoulder and was told I have rheumatiod arthritis.
    As all my ligaments are rubbery and keep getting swelling too.
    So hopefully I will now get treated for the condition and not be pushed from pillow to post.

Sparklebright62.
    I am sorry to hear that @Sparklebright62. I hope you are ok? 

Brightness