Please calm my nerves! (ESA) — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Please calm my nerves! (ESA)

Steveoldone
Steveoldone Community member Posts: 14 Connected
Hello, I am in the support group and have been for a few years now and in Jan I got yet another ESA50 which I filled in and sent back.  I fully expected to be called for a medical as I always am (and twice they stopped my money and it went to tribunal which I thankfully won)

I recently got a letter that they are going to call me next thursday for a phone assessment.  I'm normally a shaking/bundle of nerves at the medicals but this has me even more worried as I hate using the phone. I get muddled and start to panic.  also if they are using the phone then they can't see me face to face and see how bad I am so I'm getting very stressed over this and barely slept even an hour straight last night.

anyone done one of these?  any tips on how to do it withing going into a total anxious panic?

Thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,345 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

The reason for the telephone assessments is because face to face assessments are still suspended because of Covid. I totally understand just how stressful any assessment is, having been through them many times myself. Although i've not had a telephone assessment, as my most recent one in March was paper based.

All you can do is answer those questions as best as you can and if you didn't hear or understand the question then please ask them to repeat it. You can also have the phone on loud speaker and have someone you know in your room with you, if that helps at all.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Steveoldone

Thanks for posting this discussion.

I know that many of our members have had telephone assessments this year and I'm sure they will share their experiences.

I can understand your nerves, but I'm sure you will do just fine. Maybe it would be a good idea to think about what you might want to say and possibly make some brief notes so you don't forget anything in the moment. 

If the idea of talking to them on the phone causes you stress, you could possibly have a practice call with a friend or family member, just to try and get used to talking about your condition over the phone.

You will do well, I'm certain of it, best of luck :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Steveoldone
    Thank you all.
  • poppy123456
    If you kept a copy of the form you filled in and returned have a read of that before the assessment because part of it will be to verify what you wrote in the form.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Steveoldone, great to have you with us. :)
    Scope

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    welcome to the community glad you have joined and good luck for your assessment

There have been lots of positive outcomes posted on here recently and also people sharing their experiences
  • Steveoldone
    Well it happened and I was a nervous wreck, was literally shaking for several hours afterwards.  Not sure what to think, it didn't even last 10 mins.  I don't think that's a good sign.  
  • janer1967
    There is no set time for them to last they may have got a lot of what they needed from your form 

Fingers crossed for you and let us know the outcome 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Remember to take your time and ask if you don't understand what they are asking, keep in mind that on a tele assessment they can't make assumptions just by looking at you, and that some people are of the opinion they got a fairer assessment by phone.
    Good luck 
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    @woodbine I think he has had the assessment now as he put it was only 10 mins 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    janer1967 said:
    @woodbine I think he has had the assessment now as he put it was only 10 mins 
    d'oh trust me not to look at the date...it's late that's my excuse and i'm sticking to it  lol  :/
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    Well it happened and I was a nervous wreck, was literally shaking for several hours afterwards.  Not sure what to think, it didn't even last 10 mins.  I don't think that's a good sign.  

The length of time the assessment has taken means nothing more than they had no further questions to ask. My quickest assessment was 10 minutes, my longest was 1 hour and 10 minutes give or take and i've been successful for all claims.

Wait a week and then ring DWP to request a copy of the assessment report to be sent to you. Once you receive this pay attention to the back of the report where it says LCW and LCWRA recommendations. If you don't understand what it means post back here and someone will advise you further. Usually they go with the report, although you'll still need to wait for the decision to be made.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Best of luck with the outcome @Steveoldone and let us know how you get on :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Steveoldone
    Thank you, I will let you know.  (fingers and toes crossed)

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.