Challenging behaviour — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Challenging behaviour

Options
wakeykez
wakeykez Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My eight year old son is having issues at school controlling his emotions, he's lashing out and throwing things at other children and staff, he also refuses to do as asked and is sometimes having to be physically moved from class, he has some mild body awareness and a NHS occupational therapist says he craves deep pressure. Has anyone had any experience of dealing and helping thier child with this as he's close to being kicked out of school/being taken out of school. We are waiting for a qb test as a consultant thinks he has adhd but wouldn't diagnose and I know adhd and sensory issues can go together. Thank you for any advice.

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wakeykez, welcome to the community :) 

Thanks for joining.

Sorry to hear about the troubles your child is going through. It's not something I have any knowledge about, but I'm sure that others will comment offering their insight.

Again, a very warm welcome to you :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Deresha
    Deresha Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    @wakeykez hey, I don’t think I can be of much use, but didn’t want to read and run.

It troubles me when a child is very clearly trying to communicate something they don’t understand. But also when their adult is fighting the battle on their own too.

What has the school said? I’d like to think you could be guided by your SENCO at school and that they have a reserve of ideas to try. He won’t be the first they have dealt with.  I don’t know what deep pressure is either, is that like a weighted blanket or something for security?  They can’t say what he needs and then not follow that up.

my son doesn’t cope with school. He is home educated and happy enough. The school wouldn’t act without a diagnosis, and I’m sorry nobody gets to gamble my boy on a technicality. We’re on a ‘pathway’ to diagnosis now and won’t set foot inside a school until he gets it, and the safeguards, in place.

sending a warm hug, it’s tough being the punchbag of all things verbal or lashing.

deresha 

Widow/Mum to a child who is ventilator dependent via tracheostomy, he is deaf and autistic, and homeschooled.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @wakeykez :) Doing a QB Check sounds like a good idea. This isn't something I have much knowledge about either I'm afraid, but do you have a good relationship with the school? Have you been in touch with the SENCo? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @wakeykez, how are things going? :)
    Scope

• soniaml
    soniaml Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi. Ask school to keep a log of what’s happening for a fortnight. Use ABC template (google it). And then sit down together and analysis what is triggering and why. Teach him to ask for a break and allow him to have a few minutes breather when he needs it. Sounds like you need a sensory assessment. As well as Diagnosis. Apply for EHCp? 
  • soniaml
    soniaml Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Ask for positive behaviour interventions from a professional. Not the school. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @wakeykez

How are things?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    Hi,  I may not be of much use here either but I do know deep pressure has many different implement that be used.  Such as items of clothing, a certain way of hugging and many more.  Try to find something now to give you and your child a little bit of relief whilst waiting for a diagnosis to move forward.
    Cindy
  • wakeykez
    wakeykez Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, he's still struggling but school now internally exclude him and he's made to sit in the headteachers office or in the corridor. We are just awaiting diagnosis and try get him an echp. The senco told me she hasn't seen much sensory wise of him but I see loads at home and the ot saw he needs regular sensory breaks and things like wobble cushion and weighted items. I'm going to mention it all to the adhd clinic when we see them and see if we can get him back under occupational therapy for the sensory issues. 
  • Cindy7007
    Cindy7007 Community member Posts: 30 Connected
    Options
    It's just such a difficult time to get any kind of regular medical appointments and will be for the foreseeable.  As a previous person mentioned to ask the school to do a log, it would be very useful for you to do one, you might recognise some patterns or triggers by doing that also and it would be great information to hand over at assessment time.

I was aware of a child with autism and tourettes which could be very distracting in the classroom, his autism could be extreme behaviourial issues.  His school initially isolated him aswell.  Over time however, it was acknowledged that having sensory breaks  could be the key.  His school did create a small room full of sensory equipment and special lighting, the adaptations worked for many different medical concerns with children and for him the change was  truly incredible, his tourettes became more management and his autism didn't seem to be as full on and his concentration increased, allowing him to remain in the classroom for longer spells before he needed a break.  Many children gained from the use of such a room.

It might be worth asking the school if they, firstly have a space that could be transformed, if they are willing to apply for grants to adapt the space, or maybe you can find out what the costs may be and try to fund raise something towards it. 

For a child to be isolated from others for a medical reason is truly unacceptable but necessary on occasions.  Something needs to change before he starts to feel he is different from everyone else and that can  increase his outbursts. 

Wish you luck
    Cindy   

Brightness