Boost your mental health, one thing at a time — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Boost your mental health, one thing at a time

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge

What’s happening?

Today (10th October 2020) is World Mental Health Day 2020.  

Today is dedicated to supporting better mental health and looking after our own emotional wellbeing.  It’s more important than ever given the many months of lockdown and restrictions people have faced this year.  

The mental health charity MIND tells us:

“[of over 16,000 people) more than half of adults (60%) and over two thirds of young people (68%) said their mental health got worse during lockdown.”

Building with sign on saying how are you really

What’s on the community to help members with their mental health?

Scope’s online community is a non-judgemental space for people to talk about their mental health.  

Our mental health discussion board contains stories and questions our members have previously shared.   This is a handy place to look for information about different mental health conditions.

Our virtual coffee lounge is another relaxed place to speak about any troubling feelings you may be having. For instance, we have a daily mental health check in where members say how they are feeling so others can offer support and help if it’s a particularly bad day.

We also post regular threads about mental health issues such as @Tori_Scope ‘s insightful World Suicide Prevention Day 2020 – What are your top tops for mental wellbeing? This post contains various resources and contact details for support, so be sure to give it a read if things feel too much for you.

What can I do today?

The team over at MIND are recognising World Mental Health Day 2020 by urging people to do one thing today to benefit their mental health:

“Whether it's going for a walk, learning a new skill or doing something creative, taking the first steps to getting support for yourself, or reaching out to someone else”

In light of this, I’ve decided to go outside later for a slow jog to clear my head and take in some of the local scenery.  This has a calming effect and I always come home slightly cheerier.

Over to you:

• What one thing will you do today to improve your emotional wellbeing?
  • Why does this help you?
  • What advice would you give to others who might be struggling with their feelings?
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

Brightness