Hi, my name is hasler8! I'm look into relaxing my calf after long-term spinal infraction — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is hasler8! I'm look into relaxing my calf after long-term spinal infraction

hasler8
hasler8 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My problems are quite trivial but I was looking into the possibility of relaxing my right calf after long term spinal infarction and restless limbs at night, like a fish out of water.

Comments

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    @hasler8 welcome to the scope online community if you haven't used the site before. It's nice to virtually meet you. I'm Tammy one of the volunteer community champions here on the site. Your spinal infarction sounds painful so I hope you manage to rest.
    Are you in any pain? If so, do you have pain killers to help? Are you interested in relaxation techniques?
    If you have any questions about the community please don't hesitate to message me. I'm not very familiar with anything to do with spinal issues etc but I will look into this and do some research so I can gain abit more knowledge and understanding of how it can effect you.
    Stay safe, take care and I hope to hear from you soon. 
    Tammy 
  • hasler8
    Hi Tammy thanks for your response to my post. Apart from the first 30 minutes it's not physically painful although aches and restless at night. Oh and back pain. After two years I had a significant bladder problem which after being unable to sleep I was on tramadol and dihydrocodeine but when I got back to England the GP refused to prescribe and I gave them up. 
     I was looking online to inject Botox in my right calf in order to get some movement inorder to be able to stretch and exercise. Though my core muscles are kaput and may add to any exercise difficulty. 
    I would like to be able to prop up my body for one last push.
    I have not tried relaxing techniques just stretching, Pilatus and going to the gym.

• davegregson40
    davegregson40 Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Welcome to the group.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @hasler8
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hasler8 - & welcome to the community from me too. Have you mentioned to your GP the problems you're having with your right calf? They are in the best position to advise, so I would look into that first. :)
  • hasler8
    I don't think my GP likes me, I get the feeling he thinks I am a hypochondriac not helped when last time I was there he referred me to hospital, amazingly, for an ultrasound scan of my bladder and afterwards they asked why are you here there is absolutely nothing wrong with your bladder or kidneys. Embarrassingly I walked away scratching my head knowing in Austria they operated on my bladder talking of referring me to a hospital in Vienna  for a repair or replace but I declined because they were talking of complications. Maybe I have an amazing self repairing bladder or whatever happens abroad stays abroad.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Hmmm @hasler8 -  I'm in a somewhat similar, yet dis-similar quandary. To get relief from my neurological problems I would only consider having surgery with a certain USA neurosurgeon. Then I wonder, what if complications arise, as unfortunately our UK neurosurgeons appear to be a decade behind the USA ones.
    Sometimes GPs are uncomfortable with a patient that has a better understanding of their problems; don't let that put you off. Have you got any copies of your medical notes from when you were in Austria? If so, this may help, if not, can you get them?
  • hasler8
    edited October 2020
    To be fair to the hospital I went to in the UK they did every test possible unfortunately they could not find the cause. The funny part came when I finally got to physiotherapy. I think I have watched too many hospital dramas where the doctor or nurse emotionally gets the patient to do the exercises. The patient cries no I can't do it and they encourage him and at the end the patient is cured. I turned up and was handed a print out of five exercises which I could of done better on the internet. I did get a lot of little by little bit by bit and everything will be cured which led me to believe I was doing it wrong. Even my family relayed stories of uncle Albert who had a stroke and couldn't even go to the toilet by himself and now he has just climbed mount Everest or something. I did go on an intense physio thing with little success and then wrote to some official organisation in the UK and they said if it don't come back within three months then it never will. 
      With regards to medical notes. I did have most of them from Austria. In German unfortunately but I will have to have them translated. The CT scans went to the hospital in Vienna and I imagine are long gone.

Brightness