Share all the countries you have been to — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Share all the countries you have been to

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
I’m interested to know what countries everyone has visited. Please share a list of the countries you have been to. You only have to have set foot in the country - if you have landed for a fuel stop and got out of the plane, that’s enough for the country to count.

My list:

UK (England, Scotland, Wales, not NI)
Spain
Gibraltar
Hungary
Portugal
Czech Republic

I’m sure people can beat me!

Comments

• Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    UK. Scotland, Wales, Isle of White. Not NI.
    Belgium
    Denmark
    Spain
    Portugal
    China
    Hong Kong
    Italy
    Greece. Including Greek Isles
    America
    France
    Germany

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Omg here goes 

UK including wales scotland NI isle man and isle wight 

France 
    Germany
    Austria
    Switzerland 
    Italy
    Malta
    Portugal
    Greece and greek islands
    Spain and balearic and canaries
    Egypt
    Dominican republic
    Turkey
    Cyprus
    USA
    Amsterdam
    Tunisia
    Canada
    Belgium
    Gozo

Think that's it 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    UK  - including all the Channel Islands, but not N.I. nor the Isle of Man
    Norway
    Austria
    Germany
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Spain
    Belgium
    France
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    edited October 2020
    Not as many as all of you.

England (I’ve not been to Scotland, Wales or NI)
    France
    Belgium
    Germany
    Austria
    Italy

But I’ve not been out of the country for fifteen years so...
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Uk inc England Scotland Wales and N.I (for a period I travelled to N.I to train new members of staff)
    The Isle of Man (three times a year for 15 years on business.
    southern Ireland
    Germany
    Austria
    Portugal
    and Tenerife (5 times would have been 6 this year)

Senior management (also known as Mrs Woodbine) spent many years abroad upto the age of 18 due to her dad being a lecturer including time in S,Africa, Rhodesia, Botswana (where her mum was senior housekeeper to the President) and the Sychelles
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger

Wales, Scotland and England.
    Malta
    Italy
    Bulgaria
    Turkey (3 times)
    Portugal
    Greece (Rhodes and Cofu)
    Canary Islands ( Fuerteventura/Gran Canaria and Tenerife)

USA
    Dominican Republic

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Is there a booby prize for the shortest list...?  I live in England so that doesn't count.

France (few days 20 years ago)
    Wales (3 or 4 times up to 2006)
  • 66Mustang
    Those are some impressive lists, thank you everyone for posting :)

@OverlyAnxious that’s impressive in its own way. I wonder if anyone here has never left their home country. Is it out of choice that you don’t travel much or just circumstance (would you to want to travel if funds/disability permitted it?)?
  • Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Wowzers, we really have globe trotters amongst us.  I didn't go beyond the UK until 9 years ago but in that time I've been to:

France
    Holland
    Spain
    Corfu
    Portugal
    Tenerife
    Turkey

I have so many more on my bucket list that I'd like to see too!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    @Cher_Scope nice list :)

I want to see more countries as well, I don’t have any specific ones in mind I just want to go traveling once I get a bit better. Maybe even tick all of the countries off!
  • vikingqueen
    vikingqueen Scope Member Posts: 1,410 Disability Gamechanger
          All of the UK
          Isle of Man
          Belgium
          Amsterdam
          Holland
          Malta  many times
          Morocco
          Tenerife 
          Mainland Spain
          Majorca
          Rhodes
          Portugal
          Turkey  too many times to count, my son was married there
           Gibraltar

• OverlyAnxious
    edited October 2020
    66Mustang said:

@OverlyAnxious that’s impressive in its own way. I wonder if anyone here has never left their home country. Is it out of choice that you don’t travel much or just circumstance (would you to want to travel if funds/disability permitted it?)?
    Purely due to disability/conditions.  I haven't been on any sort of holiday since 2006 but even before then I never liked family holidays, too much change, too much travelling and too much stress.

When I moved out 5 years ago, I was intending to start doing weekends away around England on my own...visit historical places and music festivals and national car shows etc...starting nearby and working my way further out.  But it quickly became apparent that I couldn't do that as I always get nauseous in the car even locally, despite buying the most comfortable car I could afford at the time.  Even now, I can't work out how much of that is physical, and how much is caused mentally as it's worse than ever before, it only takes a bit of jittery B road or a few speedhumps and I have to stop and walk it off. I also couldn't trust the car, and was constantly worried about breakdowns or crashes or tailbacks and getting 'trapped' away from home.  I did manage to get a bit further than before for days out but we're still only talking about 20 miles away for an hour or two and that only lasted up to 2018.  On top of that, I rely so much on my own kitchen being completely clean and having an oven and freezer etc.  So that rules out staying at hotels, and it would take me ages to decontaminate the kitchen and bathroom in a self catering place...  And with all that extra stress, I could be fairly sure the IBS would be causing maximum disruption...  At the last family holiday in '06 I still remember my Nan's shriek as she exclaimed about the state of the toilet, to which none of us owned up obviously...  

It is frustrating because I've missed out on a lot of things in my teens and 20s purely because of my conditions, particularly regarding travelling.  Realistically though, some things can't be 'fixed' and I'm likely to have the issues with IBS and nausea for the rest of my life.  Making any sort of travel impossible.  I'd like to go to Italy, Greece, France, Switzerland, Germany etc...do a driving tour of Europe, but it'll never happen.  I'd also like to see the pyramids in Egypt, but on top of the travelling, I couldn't deal with the heat or small spaces either lol.  Honestly I can't see myself leaving my county again any time soon, let alone the country. 
  • BendyHedge
    BendyHedge Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Luton!...lol  Joke!???

Cyprus(Pathos)
    Rome-Italy
    Brugge -Belgium
    -Geneva & Lucerne-Switzerland 
    Northern France on way, via car, to Brugge!
    Ibiza-Spain
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    @OverlyAnxious aren’t travel sickness pills any good?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    @OverlyAnxious I can understand it being hard to travel, knowing what little I do about your issues. I understand totally and relate to what you mean about losing your teenage and early twenties years to illness even if I lost mine for different reasons. These are meant to be the best years of your life when you are young and fit and strong and now even if we do get better we only have the downward slope in life to look forward to. This isn’t meant to insult the older members on this forum in any way and apologies if it does cause offence - I know you can have a really fulfilling later life. However, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I also like the idea of a European road trip but as I can’t do motorways or dual carriageways for more than a short stint so I’d find it really hard covering thousands of miles. I like to be positive and say “when I get better...” but at the back of my mind I am worried it will not happen.
  • OverlyAnxious
    edited October 2020
    leeCal said:
    @OverlyAnxious aren’t travel sickness pills any good?
    Possibly but I can't take pills or any form of meds at the moment (or for the last 2 decades!) due to health anxiety/illness phobia.  If I could, I'd be taking daily Omeprazole as I get a lot of nausea at home as well.  Plus anti-depressants and IBS-reducing pills and a few others...  I think it's the IBS that causes quite a bit of the nausea both at home and in the car so I'm hoping it might get a bit better if the overall anxiety drops .  My GP was extremely unhelpful when I mentioned it, he just said it was a weak stomach muscle that happens as you get older or in people with anxiety, it won't get better and there's no fix...  

Ironically, one of the main reasons I can't even try pills is the risk of them causing more nausea, or worse...  I did try an anti sickness wrist band (supposed to be a pressure point in your wrist) but the feeling of it on body and knowing it was there caused more anxiety which in turn caused more nausea even at home without going anywhere near the car!!  :#  This is why I say I'm not sure how much is anxiety related, I do wonder if I'm just 'thinking' the jittery road might cause nausea and the anxiety from that causes the issue...  I'm fairly certain this is what happens when I try a new food, as otherwise it appears that I'm intolerant to every new food that I've tried over the last few years and can be fairly sure the same reaction would occur if I tried to get meds in.  So what's the answer to being unable to take meds due to anxiety?  More meds according to my GP...   :D
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious I can understand it being hard to travel, knowing what little I do about your issues. I understand totally and relate to what you mean about losing your teenage and early twenties years to illness even if I lost mine for different reasons. These are meant to be the best years of your life when you are young and fit and strong and now even if we do get better we only have the downward slope in life to look forward to. This isn’t meant to insult the older members on this forum in any way and apologies if it does cause offence - I know you can have a really fulfilling later life. However, I hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I also like the idea of a European road trip but as I can’t do motorways or dual carriageways for more than a short stint so I’d find it really hard covering thousands of miles. I like to be positive and say “when I get better...” but at the back of my mind I am worried it will not happen.
    I think what some older people may not realise is just how much your teens/20's provide a foundation for the rest of your life.  Whether that's Uni, or work, or travelling or even just going out drinking and clubbing every weekend.  The people you meet doing those things, the experience you gain and the opportunities that arise from it shape the rest of your life.  Of course circumstances change and people still make big changes much later in life, but you can't build anything without those foundations there to start with.  I'm not that far away from 30 now, but I don't have anything in common with 'normal' 30 year olds...they've got partners and kids and mortgages and in a totally different 'phase' of life now, whereas I feel like I'm still stuck at around 20 and not sure if that'll ever change...  Like you, I do try to stay positive (even if it doesn't always come across lol) but at the same time I'm terrified I might have to go through another 50 years of the same...

• 66Mustang
    @OverlyAnxious I thought I was a good example of having a few different problems that work together to make each other harder to cure but yours seem to work together even more  :|

My guess is the way forward is some form of talking therapy via the computer if only you could find one who would do it remotely. My community mental health team offered me a Zoom appointment so I’m sure it’s not out of the question for a psychologist somewhere to do the same. I don’t remember you mentioning having trouble talking over Zoom but apologies if I missed this.
  • OverlyAnxious
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious I thought I was a good example of having a few different problems that work together to make each other harder to cure but yours seem to work together even more  :|

My guess is the way forward is some form of talking therapy via the computer if only you could find one who would do it remotely. My community mental health team offered me a Zoom appointment so I’m sure it’s not out of the question for a psychologist somewhere to do the same. I don’t remember you mentioning having trouble talking over Zoom but apologies if I missed this.
    Yeah, I can't talk on Zoom unfortunately.  I had been doing those OCD Zoom chats but it was in a large group where I could 'hide' and I couldn't say anything, just listened to others.  I wouldn't be able to do one on one face chats.

The physical act of talking causes me nausea and reflux, but again, I can't tell if that's a physical thing or whether it's being caused by the anxiety.  It happens both F2F or on a telephone.  Both at home or when out.  And it doesn't matter whether I know the person or not.  And as soon as there's any mention of bodies, or bodily fluids or bodily functions I come over faint as well as very nauseous so that's the end of the conversation!

Ultimately though, I don't understand what difference a talking therapy could make.  The end result will still be that I'd have to take the risk of making myself ill by doing the task (taking meds, eating food, driving rough roads, etc)...knowing that I can't cope with illness from past & everyday experience.
  • roberttaylor570
    roberttaylor570 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    edited October 2020
    @66Mustang My list is as follows:-

U.K. - England, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey and The Scilly Isles (St. Mary's, St. Agnes and Gugh, St Martins, Tresco.
    France
    Germany - (not Eastern Bloc - apart from being on a sealed train whilst passing through with armed Border Guards.)
    Switzerland
    Italy - For lunch but all cafe's were closed.
    Luxembourg
    Austria
    Belgium
    Netherlands
    Spain

I planned to go to Tangier for two days whilst in Spain but the taxi didn't turn up

Brightness