Creation of Holiday Cottages for people with disabilities. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Creation of Holiday Cottages for people with disabilities.

Options
LouiseYoung
LouiseYoung Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2020 in Research and opportunities

Hi  - We live on a farm near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire and I intend to convert our barn to set up 3 holiday let apartments for disabled people.  Leicestershire is a very pretty rural county and our listed outbuildings will make an attractive rural retreat with the advantage of full disabled facilities.   Each apartment will have a bed sitting room with hoist rails, disabled access kitchen, wet room and a carer’s bedroom should it be needed.  They will all have a veranda and wheelchair access to landscaped gardens with, cut flowers / veg to pick and hens from which to collect eggs.  I have obtained planning permission and am currently applying for EU grant funding towards some of the build costs.

Both my son (born with chromosome abnormality)  and mother (severe stroke 11 years ago) are unfortunately disabled, hence my knowledge of the lack of suitable holiday accommodation available.

At present I am investigating the need and interest in such a facility in our area and wondered if you could possibly reply to a few questions below as part of the grant process?   Please delete as necessary and add any further comments you wish .

Would such a holiday let in rural Leicestershire be an attractive possible holiday destination Yes / No

Do you find it difficult to find suitable disabled holiday accommodation?  Yes/No

Is it helpful to have a separate carer’s room?   Yes / No

Would a price of £80 - £100/ night be considered acceptable for a 2 bed apartment?  Yes/ No        

If not, what price might be acceptable? Is it too low?  £             .

Might they consider using it all year round?    Yes / No?     If Yes then why ?:-

Any other helpful ideas / comments you might have   :- 

Thanks very much for your help.

Louise Young

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Welcome to the community @LouiseYoung :) Just to let you know, I've moved your post into the Events, Research, and Opportunities category.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.

Scope

• Garza
    Garza Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    Options

Hi  - We live on a farm near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire and I intend to convert our barn to set up 3 holiday let apartments for disabled people.  Leicestershire is a very pretty rural county and our listed outbuildings will make an attractive rural retreat with the advantage of full disabled facilities.   Each apartment will have a bed sitting room with hoist rails, disabled access kitchen, wet room and a carer’s bedroom should it be needed.  They will all have a veranda and wheelchair access to landscaped gardens with, cut flowers / veg to pick and hens from which to collect eggs.  I have obtained planning permission and am currently applying for EU grant funding towards some of the build costs.

Both my son (born with chromosome abnormality)  and mother (severe stroke 11 years ago) are unfortunately disabled, hence my knowledge of the lack of suitable holiday accommodation available.

At present I am investigating the need and interest in such a facility in our area and wondered if you could possibly reply to a few questions below as part of the grant process?   Please delete as necessary and add any further comments you wish .

Would such a holiday let in rural Leicestershire be an attractive possible holiday destination Yes / No

Do you find it difficult to find suitable disabled holiday accommodation?  Yes/No

Is it helpful to have a separate carer’s room?   Yes / No

Would a price of £80 - £100/ night be considered acceptable for a 2 bed apartment?  Yes/ No        

If not, what price might be acceptable? Is it too low?  £             .

Might they consider using it all year round?    Yes / No?     If Yes then why ?:-

Any other helpful ideas / comments you might have   :- 

Thanks very much for your help.

Louise Young

My partner and I are often looking for luxury accessible breaks, I am a wheelchair user who is fortunately quite able, I tend to find a real lack of luxury accessible properties, Premier Inns are great but not all that romantic! 

I live in Leicestershire so perhaps not somewhere we would use but I can attest to how beautiful the countryside is there and also how many good facilities there are in Melton 

I would happily pay £80-100 dependant on things like, location, level of finish, whats included etc 
  • LouiseYoung
    LouiseYoung Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much for your feedback.  That's very helpful.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.