Tell us about your skincare and beauty routine — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Tell us about your skincare and beauty routine

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
I've found that products with vitamin c in work best for my skin so I exfoliate a couple of times a week and apply moisturiser twice a day.  I also use charcoal soap on a morning to wake me up and am a fan of face-masks as an occasional treat  :)

Make-up wise I keep it simple and might apply blusher if I'm looking pale but otherwise I don't venture beyond a bit of lipstick and eyeliner/mascara if I'm off out out.  

Does anyone have a routine they stick to everyday for their skin or makeup?  What works best for your skin?  Have you any recommendations that could help others?  
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi believe it or not I dont really do anything I have never used creams or moisturisers just a couple of face masks but years ago

I just user lain water on my face, but after a bath I do like to use a nice scented body lotion

Im not big on make up and only wear it if going out on a special occasion. When I was younger I did wear it but again not in the day or for work but just for going out. I like to feel different when going out makes it more special.
  • Cher_Alumni
    Blimey @janer1967 have you ever had acne or are you blessed with good skin?  That's a nice minimalistic routine you have going on  :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @Cher_Scope No never had acne or any skin condition, maybe its the products that cause the problems I have only really ever used water, sometimes a mild soap

Im afraid it was all down to me liking my bed too much would rather have an extra 30 mins in bed than do a full make up routine
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    I am not sure if products really do anything as I do nothing except wash and shave once a day and a couple of people have commented without prompting that I have really good skin but I don’t know if they were just being polite!
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I love the Body Shop for skin care, I mainly use their vitamin E and tea tree ranges. I have acne which doesn't want to budge!

However, I do a face wash and moisturiser morning and night, and a face mask about once a week. I have a charcoal face scrub which is great when my skin is playing up.
    Scope

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm beautiful as it is...

I exfoliate in the morning and evening, that's about it for the moment. I used to use moisturiser on my face because I can get dry skin occasionally, but that caused other skin issues, so for the moment my exfoliation wipes are doing the trick for me.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I get bad skin but it's all hormonal, so there's only so much I can do with skincare products! I like the Boots tea tree range (other brands are available...), but I keep it down to a simple routine of face wash, moisturiser, and a night treatment gel.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    I used to use Clearasil every day as a teenager for acne...not entirely sure it did anything though, didn't notice any difference once I stopped.  Poor diet and excessive face washing probably wasn't helping lol.  

I don't use anything specific on my face now...but have been tempted to start again.  In the colder weather I find the skin around my mouth gets really dry (yes, partly from excessive washing!) and cracks open when trying to eat or yawn etc.  It's really quite painful despite seeming insignificant.  I've thought about some sort of daily moisturiser but don't know how effective it would be against over-washing...any suggestions?

I also get through tonnes of aqueous cream for my hands.  They've been ruined by years of excessive washing as well lol, fortunately Aqueous is cheap!  
  • 66Mustang

In the colder weather I find the skin around my mouth gets really dry (yes, partly from excessive washing!) and cracks open when trying to eat or yawn etc.  It's really quite painful despite seeming insignificant.
    I know what you mean. I often get tiny cracks in my lips which heal up a bit overnight then in the morning the first time I open my mouth SNAP it cracks open again! They take months to heal up!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I've never had a skincare routine, I would love to have one but all these products nowadays confuse me. 
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Ami2301 said:
     all these products nowadays confuse me. 
    I am starting to feel the same way about lots of products to be honest, even bread! Didn’t there used to be just a choice between white and brown?
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    I never thought about all the types of bread... goodness what is the world coming too?!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah but at least bread is lovely, I don't mind all the options :) But yeah, there are so many... bagels, wraps, pita, and so on.
    Online Community Coordinator

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Now I just want to eat bread!  :D
    Scope

• 66Mustang
  • 66Mustang
    To be honest I love tiger bread :yum:
  • Cher_Alumni
    Tiger bread with lashings of butter *dribble*

• ketokid
    ketokid Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Morning, im a fan of facial oils twice a day, keeps my skin soft .
  • Chloe_Scope
    Sounds great @ketokid
    Scope

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,788 Disability Gamechanger
    Like @janer1967 I've never used creams on my face and use plain water. Must be working as people think I look younger.

Brightness