My goal today - Page 24 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My goal today

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    No I haven’t had a MacBook, I should be ok with it though, ‘what one man can do another can do’ from the Edge film ha ha.
    The Ling cards are definitely worth looking up!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• leeCal
    edited October 2020
    @Ross_Scope have you been studying Buddhism for long? I have found that there are some deceptively simple tenets beneath all the complexity. Sometimes I wonder if they actually want anyone to understand it thoroughly lol. However bit by bit ‘each drip of water wears away the stone’ as they say. if you have any questions I may be able to help answer one or two if you like ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal I have a MacBook and it’s really good for doing spreadsheets and just in general. I’m sure you will enjoy using it. Just so you know it’s almost impossible to get any malicious software on a Mac, unless you basically download it on purpose, so you should be able to connect to the internet without any security issues.
  • leeCal
    Thank you @66Mustang, that’s reassuring ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    That’s OK, if you have any questions I have been using Macs for about a decade and while I won’t pretend to be an expert I will be happy to help if I’m able to.

I managed to get out for my drive today, round the country lanes. It was a good one :)
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    Pleased you had a nice drive out; I also accomplished my mission in the garden, just finished as it started to spit with rain....pleased to be back in the warmth now!
    I use Linux as it's so secure, & safe connecting to the internet too. :)
  • 66Mustang
    That was good timing then!

I have never used Linux but have heard good things about it. :)
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    I used a Vpn for about two days once but I stopped because I received a message from google asking me if I was bonaa fide in some way, I forget the exact message but it said a lot of traffic was coming from the isp I was using. I stopped using the vpn immediately.  

glad everyone’s had a nice day.  I was told to reduce the number of jumpers I have ? I do seem to have collected quite a few, I like jumpers.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Was it a free or paid VPN?

I actually pay for a VPN (one of the few things I am willing to spend money on as I think it’s worth it) and I find the service really good. I only tend to use it while using Wi-Fi away from home, though, like in a hotel. It may have changed since I did my research but when I was looking free ones were often dodgy in some way.
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    Yes it was a paid for vpn, I am a bit miffed actually but it came with a security package. so there’s still some value in what I paid for. 
    Using it away from home is a good idea.?

― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Oh that’s strange! Yes I use it in hotels as if you don’t use one I believe there is a chance someone else on the network can see what you are typing in. 
  • leeCal
    I’ll pluck up courage and try it again someday, I thought it was strange too, gave me a shock actually. The message wasn’t in their usual font or style either but it said it was google. I came off immediately and stopped using the vpn just in case. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    leeCal said:
    @Ross_Scope have you been studying Buddhism for long? I have found that there are some deceptively simple tenets beneath all the complexity. Sometimes I wonder if they actually want anyone to understand it thoroughly lol. However bit by bit ‘each drip of water wears away the stone’ as they say. if you have any questions I may be able to help answer one or two if you like ?
    I haven't started yet :D I have a few audiobooks downloaded and ready to go, but I haven't gotten round to pressing play yet (my backlog of audiobooks is quite huge). But I will get to them one day, hopefully soon.

When I do start reading them, rest assured my questions will be coming your way :) 

How long have you been studying it for?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    edited October 2020
    @Ross_Scope it must be over a year now off and on. I have read several books by the Dali Lama but also some more introductory articles etc. There is a simplicity often hidden within complexity I have found, whether this is due to problems with translation or not I’m not sure, it may be also due to cultural differences as well though, different ways of saying things to what would be considered normal in the west. I’m sure you’ll experience what I mean quite soon after you begin studying. 

For example, emptiness is a concept used to describe how all things including people lack inherent existence. Non Inherent existence is a concept to describe how things including people do not exist independently from all other things including other people. Therefore nothing is empty but all things are full of everything else. All of which may sound incredibly dense. I’m saying actually all things are dependent on something else for their existence, a seed grows but it needs water, sun, earth etc and each of those elements in turn need other elements, the list becomes immense until finally you realise that all things need each other, that means they don’t inherently exist in their own right, which means they are empty of inherent existence, ie emptiness, they are also full of everything else in a way too. In the West we wouldn’t call such a thing emptiness I don’t think. Perhaps this example gives you a little idea of how the simplicity is sometimes shrouded within complexity, much like many aspects of life. Maybe all.

― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    That's very interesting @leeCal, I think to a degree all cultures and parts of the world are guilty of making certain things sound more complicated than they actually are. That's the beauty of learning really, often new things can seem overwelming and confusing, but with time most of it sinks in.

I will keep that in mind though, it definitely sounds like it can be a challenging belief to study. Maybe I'll tackle it on a day where I'm feeling clever :) 

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    @Ross_Scope please don’t let me put you off, the concept of emptiness is actually one of the hardest concepts to understand. 

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    I've been reading about Buddhism on & off for many years. Like @leeCal - I've read books about/by the Dalai Lama, & that's a good place to start; his humour also shines through.
    Just reading about the teachings, at least I found, you have to stop & think, which I feel is good, you can't just 'read' the books. So @Ross_Scope you might be pausing any audiobook about this quite often! :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Don't worry @leeCal, it's not putting me off, if anything it makes me more intrigued :) 

• 66Mustang
    I decided on a goal for tomorrow: to go through all my paperwork and sort it out and put what I don’t need in the bin. I am quite bad at keeping paperwork. I also want to gather all my medical and benefits-related paperwork into two special piles to keep them all together. :o
  • leeCal
    Sounds like a really good idea @66Mustang paperwork is a pain but there’s nothing worse than needing a document quickly but you can’t find it. ?

― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness