Hello — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello

Options
helenm99
helenm99 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello my name is helen I am new to this site, I have ask for advice on various local sites on social media which has been helpful but feel like I am being judged sometimes for posting such things like disabled friendly places to take my mum and wheelchair repairs etc I have got all the info I need at the moment but didn’t realise there was a forum to help with things like this so grateful to have found it now. My mum suffers with strokes so can no longer walk I am trying to make every day life easier for her for example I didn’t know they did specific cutlery for stroke sufferers so have bought her some but wish I had known about some things sooner.
Thanks,
Helen 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @helenm99 and welcome to the community, glad you've joined us :) 

You've definitely come to the right place, this is a very supportive and helpful community. I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you've had with your mum, and the experiences you've had when joining other groups.

This one will be a positive experience for you I'm sure :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • helenm99
    helenm99 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Thanks Ross everyone has tried to be helpful on social
    media but I don’t think they get it. I ask for a disabled friendly opticians in the area and instantly people think disabled friendly relates to a ramp on the entrance. Just because you have an assessable door doesn’t mean you are disabled friendly , my mum went to vision express about a year ago and they took her out of her wheelchair to put her on the stool for one of the tests and she ended up on the floor so it’s so much more than door access.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're right @helenm99, it is about so much more than that and it's an important issue to discuss I think.

how is your mum getting along at the moment?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @helenm99 - welcome to this friendly & supportive community. Hopefully you will find you have now 'landed' in the right place! One of the places I've found very good for aids, which you may have come across, is the following: https://www.completecareshop.co.uk/
    I hope you & your Mum are keeping well, & that you enjoy being part of this group. :)

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @helenm99 and welcome!

I understand your frustration.  People often don't get the reality of being disabled and what accessibility looks like in practice.  We talk about issues like this in our Disabled People category so be sure to have a look in there and join in chats wherever you fancy.  

I hope you are having a nice Wednesday and look forward to seeing more of you on the community :) 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

• GingerNinja2020
    GingerNinja2020 Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Options
    Hello 
    Welcome to the site ?
    Hope you and your mum are well?
    This site is so helpful and especially for making new friends 
    Social media is a good and bad 
    Just ignore the haters 
    I hope you have a really nice time on this website 
    This website is the best!

Stay safe and well