Do you want to learn something new? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you want to learn something new?

Options
Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Education

What’s happening? 

Over the next couple of weeks (17 October to 1 November 2020) the annual Family Learning Festival is taking place.  

This is a special event that celebrates learning and hopes to inspire a love of learning in family life. 

What are the benefits of learning? 

Learning is a life-long activity that has different benefits. 

Families can make memories and bond when learning new things together. While the Family Learning Festival webpage says learning:

“supports children to achieve at school. It can be transformative, helping us to find new passions and interests, and realise our aspirations through further learning.”

Learning as an adult also has its positives. It helps us explore the world around us and makes us more confident, critical thinkers.   Plus, through learning we can meet new people with similar interests and potentially make new friends.  

A wall sign with a pink and yellow pencil on that has love to learn printed on it

How can I learn from home?

Most of us have more time on our hands since lockdown making this a good time to take up learning if it’s been a while since you last tried.  

If you have an internet connection and device, you are ready to go from the comfort of your own home!  

You might want to:

Thinking about learning:

• Do you do any online learning? If so, how do you find it?
  • What one thing would you like to learn more about?
  • Do you plan on learning anything new in the future?

Leave us your comments below :) 

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I started a new course on mindfulness. It’s interesting even though I’ve done a course on the subject before I’m finding additional information and resources on the course which is refreshing. 

So thanks @Cher_Scope ?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's wonderful news @leeCal I hope you enjoy it! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Marion69
    Marion69 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    I would love to try something new but hesitant because it's been so long & I have memory issues. 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    Options
    I saw about the virtual tours and I feel like the world just opened up in front of me. I haven't been able to go to anything for so long and I'm so happy.
    I'm going to zoom my friends and screen share so I can go to places with them!
  • Marion69
    Marion69 Community member Posts: 3 Connected
    Options
    That sounds great
  • Parrot123
    Parrot123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    Options
    i cant work zoom xx

• Tammyjane33
    Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
    Options
    @Cher_Scope thank you for sharing, this is a fantastic post/thread. 
  • Sparklebright62
    Sparklebright62 Community member Posts: 37 Listener
    Options
    Hi to all,

Are their any Interesting computer courses going on as would love to do another one when I have the chance.

At the moment building a project that was for grandkids to do but are unable so doing it for them called Billie all will be revealed when its done.

Sparklebright62.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What specific issues are you running into with Zoom @Parrot123
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    I look forward to hearing more about the project you're working on for your grandchildren @sparklebright62!

What kind of computer courses might you be interested in? Is there a particular skill you want to gain?

• Sparklebright62
    Options
    Hi Tori 

I would like to do level 3 computer courses if possible I have done word processing level 1 and 2 I have done publishing level 1 and 2 I have done using the web level 1 and 2 I would like to do an art course not done that yet or a course on the human body as I have a lot of health conditions to deal with. 
    Also something else to do with weightloss I was doing really well the other week but have put more weight back on I am really annoyed with myself want to get away from emotional eating. 

Sparklebright62. 

• Sparklebright62
    Options
    Hi Tori

Billie is Completed apart from one leg muscle I need to go online to order a part its a plastic skeleton all made up of lots of parts and then you add the plastic muscles just need to add leg muscle when I get it. 

Sparklebright62. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Who did you do the other computer courses with @Sparklebright62? Are the levels part of a qualification? That'll help us to see if there are any others at the right level. 

When you say an art course, do you mean a course on doing art, or one about art itself?

In terms of learning more about the human body, here are a few I found on FutureLearn:
    Here are a few I found on food and nutrition, also on FutureLearn:
    Also, try not to be too annoyed at yourself about the weight loss. Being kind and forgiving towards yourself is really important. It might take a while to find a healthy diet that works for you.

Wow, Billie sounds like quite the project! You'll have to let us know once it's all completed.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,651 Connected
    Options
    I'm currently signed up to various programming courses on Zenva.com and Pirple.com, I just don't currently have working software such as Unity or Visual Studio to be able to practice making games or coding (damn you Chrome OS and Linux)

Brightness