Music through the decades - Page 5 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Music through the decades

1235»

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm only now realising that wasn't a Scissor Sister original, had no idea it was a cover!   

I had no idea they did a cover @OverlyAnxious! Listening now. It's quite different to the original, but I don't hate it.

National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Rest in piece Eddie van Halen.

Does anybody have any memories of the music he created throughout his life? 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Steveoldone
    Steveoldone Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    When it comes to music my soul resides in the late 1950's.  I am a total Buddy Holly fanboy and have spent countless hours researching him and his tragic crash over the years.

I also love Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers, Elvis, Ritchie Valens, J P Richardson (aka: Big Bopper), Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bobby Vee (who only got his break due to the Holly crash), Dion & The Belmonts, Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Queen, The Carpenters, Abba, ELO, Slade, Madness, Boney M, Fleetwood Mac, 10cc, Michael Jackson, Earth, Wind & Fire, David Bowie, Bobby Darin, Mamas and the Papas, Herman's Hermits, The Byrds, Zager & Evans, Scott McKenzie, Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, George Harrison, Del Shannon, Hot Chocolate, Marmalade, Gary Numan, Philip Lynott, Sparks, T-Rex, The Travelling Wilburys and many more. 
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    There are certain songs, or a piece of music that at the time we hear it live with us forever. It seals that moment in time for us and makes It so much better.
    It doesn't matter who wrote it, or sang it. It is the time we hear it that matters. 
    It is at that time we keep it in our hearts and minds and live with it throughout our lives.

it is when. If music be the food of love play on. Makes so much sense. 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There is always a discussion about rock music lyrics having no meaning, which is why I like Five Finger Death Punch and Il Nino because their lyrics have lots of meaning, better than almost anyone else I have listened too (despite their music being metal / rock).

Almost everyone when talking of the "best" guitarist assumes lead guitar and on that front I will always believe Ritchie Blckmore of Deep Purple was the best (considering the state of the equipment he had to work with. I will though give an honourable mention to Hendrix as his equipment was even more limiting and he overcame it.

There are 2 bass players though that always deserve a mention and, due to lack of notoriety I can't even remember their names, lol! One is the bass player with Motorhead and the other (the best) was with Muse.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Tori_Scope
    I like Muse too @Topkitten, but had no idea what the bassist's name was either. It's Chris Wolstenholme. What's your favourite Muse song? 

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I go through phases with music and haven't listened to Muse for a while @Tori_Scope. Probably couldn't remember any track if my life depended on it at the moment, lol!

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited October 2020
    It's good to hear from you @Topkitten. I definitely used to listen to them more when I was in my early/late teens, but they occasionally pop up on playlists I listen to and I still enjoy them. I think Origins of Symmetry is probably my favourite album of theirs. 

I definitely go through phases with music as well. What are you listening to at the moment? 

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Not sure I could name the Bassist in any group myself!  Well, maybe Flea from RHCP...  :D

Favourite Muse song is probably Time Is Running Out... 
  • Tori_Scope
    *Our time is ruuuuuuuuning ouuuuuuuuuuuuut is the correct way to type this @OverlyAnxious :D 

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Flea is a legendary bassist @OverlyAnxious, I hope they bring out a new album soon
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2020
    Sorry to say I hadn't heard of Muse until before my son's wedding, when he came around to download the music they wanted. I don't know what the guests thought on the day.......there we all were waiting for the bride listening to Pachelbel's Canon in D, my son's choice, as it was one of the favourite pieces he used to play on the violin, then the bride entered to Muse's cover of 'Feeling Good;' her choice! They walked out as man & wife to The Turtles' 'Happy Together;' a joint choice. The words for both songs were just perfect for them both. <3
  • Dragonslayer
    Dragonslayer Community member Posts: 2,165 Pioneering
    Was the sixties the best decade for music overall?
    For me the best time spans two decades. From the mid sixties to the mid seventies.
    It could be my age that makes me say that and probably is. But believe me it was a great time to be alive because we got to see some of the greatest bands ever formed and witnessed the greatest change in music ever.

I suppose at this point I should use the old term. (You had to be there)

But It is really good to read what people are saying on this thread. I have learnt more about music today than I knew before. And learnt more about bands and musicians I have never even heard of.
    When I started this discussion I had no idea where it would lead. But It gives me a great insight into how people are still as passionate about music as we were back then. 

• Tori_Scope
    That sounds like a lovely wedding @chiarieds! Muse's cover of Feeling Good is amazing.

• Tori_Scope
    I've also really enjoyed reading through the thread, thanks @Dragonslayer

• sally37
    sally37 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Who loves the vamps and mcfly and backstreet boys and seen any bands in concerts 

Brightness