My daughter is due to swap from DLA to PIP and has epilepsy — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My daughter is due to swap from DLA to PIP and has epilepsy

Amanda6516
Amanda6516 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi !!!  My daughter has just turned 16 and we have been sent her PIP appilication, I'm looking for some advice on filling out her form.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,317 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

When filling out the form you should put as much relevant information about how her conditions affect her. Adding a couple of recent real world examples will also be very helpful too. Make sure you add whoe was with her, where it happened and what exactly happened.

PIP and DLA are totally different benefit and claiming the one doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to the other. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

If you need more time to return the form you can ring DWP to ask for an extension, which they will happily give. Providing the forms are received with DWP before the deadline then her DLA will continue until a decision's been made on her PIP.

Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome fingers crossed for your daughters claim and hoe it all goes well. Come back if there is anything else you want to ask
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @Amanda6516! I hope the above advice has been useful. Please do let us know how you get on, or if you have any other questions.

How are you getting on today? Feel free to stick around and join in with our other discussions :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amanda6516 the key to a successful application is often research PIP and the descriptors, remember PIP isn't given for a condition but for the problems she has with care and or mobility, and where possible sending as much relevant evidence as possible, preferably from a neurologist (in this case) or epilepsy nurse (if she has one), couple of things that might make a difference are how often she has seizures and if she gets any warning (aura) before them, side effects from the medication are also worth noting as they can be debilitating in themselves (i've been on them for 23 years and still suffer some side effects.)
    As @poppy123456 mentions it can be helpful to phone for a two week extension, but remember to return the forms around 10 days before the due date, and get proof of postage but don'r bother with signed for postage it's a waste of time.
    If you need more help please just ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.