PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

My daughter is due to swap from DLA to PIP and has epilepsy

Amanda6516Amanda6516 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi !!!  My daughter has just turned 16 and we have been sent her PIP appilication, I'm looking for some advice on filling out her form.

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

When filling out the form you should put as much relevant information about how her conditions affect her. Adding a couple of recent real world examples will also be very helpful too. Make sure you add whoe was with her, where it happened and what exactly happened.

PIP and DLA are totally different benefit and claiming the one doesn't mean you're automatically entitled to the other. PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, it's how those conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

If you need more time to return the form you can ring DWP to ask for an extension, which they will happily give. Providing the forms are received with DWP before the deadline then her DLA will continue until a decision's been made on her PIP.

Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 8,690 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome fingers crossed for your daughters claim and hoe it all goes well. Come back if there is anything else you want to ask
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 3,759

Scope community team

Welcome to the community @Amanda6516! I hope the above advice has been useful. Please do let us know how you get on, or if you have any other questions.

How are you getting on today? Feel free to stick around and join in with our other discussions :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Take a few minutes to complete our annual survey to let us know what you think about the online community.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Amanda6516 the key to a successful application is often research PIP and the descriptors, remember PIP isn't given for a condition but for the problems she has with care and or mobility, and where possible sending as much relevant evidence as possible, preferably from a neurologist (in this case) or epilepsy nurse (if she has one), couple of things that might make a difference are how often she has seizures and if she gets any warning (aura) before them, side effects from the medication are also worth noting as they can be debilitating in themselves (i've been on them for 23 years and still suffer some side effects.)
    As @poppy123456 mentions it can be helpful to phone for a two week extension, but remember to return the forms around 10 days before the due date, and get proof of postage but don'r bother with signed for postage it's a waste of time.
    If you need more help please just ask.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
Sign in or join us to comment.