How often do you check your emails? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How often do you check your emails?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,570 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
I’m just wondering whether I am a bit obsessive, or just bored, checking mine every fifteen minutes!

How often do you check your emails? 19 votes

I don’t check, I let my device alert me
0%
More than once an hour
10%
Ami230166Mustang 2 votes
Every hour
15%
goodtimesjaner1967Cher_Alumni 3 votes
A few times a day
52%
DocleeCaldeb74Chloe_Scope[Deleted User]OverlyAnxiouschiariedsTori_ScopeRoss_Alumni[Deleted User] 10 votes
Once a day
21%
easywoodbineTammyjane33Cintique 4 votes
Less often
0%

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,613 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I check mine first thing in the morning, and then again at lunch time...  I don't check for the rest of the day as it's like Schrodinger's inbox, nothing bad can happen until I open it again!  Specifically have email notifications switched off on my phone lol.  

I hate checking emails, always get anxious before doing it (I guess you could say, overly anxious...  ;) ) and it's even worse if I've emailed someone as I'm then terrified about their reply!  :D   
  • Butler356
    Butler356 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Yes I am guilty of checking emails through the day and must make an effort not to do this, reading the results. I can't help checking just in case someone is offering a fantastic job, or something good. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I check mine a few times a day, as I've persuaded my daughter to do this, rather than text, as I find it easier replying by email than using texts. Tho she often texts me to say she's sent an email! I dislike texting as I'm forever hitting the wrong letter, & don't have nearly as bad a problem using a keyboard. :)
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    @Butler356 yes I understand you, I am anticipating a couple of “good” emails and get excited when I see I have a new message then see it’s just some marketing or something haha.
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds depending on what devices you are running, you may be able to pair your phone with your computer/tablet, and then be able to send and receive text messages from the larger device. They will still go through the phone using your number, just the larger device acts as a kind of display.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,098 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    Hi @66Mustang - Thank you, I didn't know that so will have a look into it. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    A few times a day for me. I have five email addresses, so it's important I have the right notification set up and routine to keep on top of it all :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    @Ross_Scope wow that’s a lot of email addresses :o
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    More than once an hour
    90% of my emails are notifications from the community, I find it easier accessing the threads by email notifications so I can keep track... especially with how many boxes I ticked in the notification settings ? 

I check several times an hour, keeps me occupied :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    Glad I’m not the only one @Ami2301
  • OverlyAnxious
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
    Are you the same on forums as well?

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
  • OverlyAnxious
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
    Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
    Same here, I left a forum for good after accidentally upsetting an established member. (To be honest what I said was silly but they could have seen my point.) Also same about other peoples confrontations haha.

In real life I am known as the neutral person and family members always come to me to “moderate” their arguments as they know I never take sides haha.
  • Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    Yeah it is quite a few email addresses @66Mustang :D 

One day a long time ago I decided to create multiple so I could divide my interests between each email address, as a way of filtering my messages. Works pretty well.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    More than once an hour
    That’s actually a really good idea. I have heard of people having an email address that they give to businesses to keep marketing off their main address but never thought of splitting your interests between addresses. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    Yeah, it really helps me keep track of everything @66Mustang, I would definitely recommend it. Only downside is remembering all the passwords :) 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,491 Disability Gamechanger
    A few times a day
    I 100% recommend having a 'spam' email address @66Mustang @Ross_Scope! It was a life-changer when I made mine. I have 3 personal emails that I actually use.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ross_Alumni
    A few times a day
    I don't tend to get much spam @Tori_Scope, any website that normally sends spam I sign up to with my Gmail account, which then normally sticks everything in the promotions category, which I never check.

With anything else, I periodically go through my emails and hit the unsubscribe button at the bottom of anything I don't like receiving. 

Brightness