How often do you check your emails? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How often do you check your emails?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,833 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
I’m just wondering whether I am a bit obsessive, or just bored, checking mine every fifteen minutes!

How often do you check your emails? 19 votes

I don’t check, I let my device alert me
0%
More than once an hour
10%
Ami230166Mustang 2 votes
Every hour
15%
goodtimesjaner1967Cher_Alumni 3 votes
A few times a day
52%
DocleeCaldeb74Chloe_Scope[Deleted User]OverlyAnxiouschiariedsTori_ScopeRoss_Alumni[Deleted User] 10 votes
Once a day
21%
easywoodbineTammyjane33Cintique 4 votes
Less often
0%

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,648 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A few times a day
    I check mine first thing in the morning, and then again at lunch time...  I don't check for the rest of the day as it's like Schrodinger's inbox, nothing bad can happen until I open it again!  Specifically have email notifications switched off on my phone lol.  

I hate checking emails, always get anxious before doing it (I guess you could say, overly anxious...  ;) ) and it's even worse if I've emailed someone as I'm then terrified about their reply!  :D   
  • Butler356
    Butler356 Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Options
    Yes I am guilty of checking emails through the day and must make an effort not to do this, reading the results. I can't help checking just in case someone is offering a fantastic job, or something good. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A few times a day
    I check mine a few times a day, as I've persuaded my daughter to do this, rather than text, as I find it easier replying by email than using texts. Tho she often texts me to say she's sent an email! I dislike texting as I'm forever hitting the wrong letter, & don't have nearly as bad a problem using a keyboard. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Options
    More than once an hour
    @Butler356 yes I understand you, I am anticipating a couple of “good” emails and get excited when I see I have a new message then see it’s just some marketing or something haha.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    @chiarieds depending on what devices you are running, you may be able to pair your phone with your computer/tablet, and then be able to send and receive text messages from the larger device. They will still go through the phone using your number, just the larger device acts as a kind of display.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A few times a day
    Hi @66Mustang - Thank you, I didn't know that so will have a look into it. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A few times a day
    A few times a day for me. I have five email addresses, so it's important I have the right notification set up and routine to keep on top of it all :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    @Ross_Scope wow that’s a lot of email addresses :o
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    More than once an hour
    90% of my emails are notifications from the community, I find it easier accessing the threads by email notifications so I can keep track... especially with how many boxes I ticked in the notification settings ? 

I check several times an hour, keeps me occupied :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    Glad I’m not the only one @Ami2301
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    @OverlyAnxious what is it you get nervous about? Not asking because I find it odd but because I am possibly similar - I often send an email then worry about what the person will say in response to it!
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    Yeah that's it.  I'm worried about upsetting someone, being a nuisance or causing confrontation.  But I also worry about 'positive' emails as well...for example, if someone accepts my offer on a car, then I'm obliged to go through the next anxiety-inducing steps of actually meeting them and changing the paperwork etc.  If I send an email, I usually don't look at the inbox again for the rest of the day...  :#
    Are you the same on forums as well?

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
  • OverlyAnxious
    Options
    A few times a day
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

It doesn’t happen on this forum as no one really gets confrontational on here, but sometimes on other forums I will post something and not want to go back to that thread to read the replies in case they are negative haha!
    Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
  • 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    Options
    More than once an hour
    66Mustang said:
    66Mustang said:

Yep, lol. 

I try not to make any controversial posts but sometimes things get taken the wrong way.  I have been known to leave forums for weeks or months after accidentally upsetting someone!  I don't post anything at all on social media either.  Tbh I don't really even check Facebook any more as even reading other peoples confrontations trigger me!  
    Same here, I left a forum for good after accidentally upsetting an established member. (To be honest what I said was silly but they could have seen my point.) Also same about other peoples confrontations haha.

In real life I am known as the neutral person and family members always come to me to “moderate” their arguments as they know I never take sides haha.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    A few times a day
    Yeah it is quite a few email addresses @66Mustang :D 

One day a long time ago I decided to create multiple so I could divide my interests between each email address, as a way of filtering my messages. Works pretty well.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    More than once an hour
    That’s actually a really good idea. I have heard of people having an email address that they give to businesses to keep marketing off their main address but never thought of splitting your interests between addresses. :)
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    A few times a day
    Yeah, it really helps me keep track of everything @66Mustang, I would definitely recommend it. Only downside is remembering all the passwords :) 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A few times a day
    I 100% recommend having a 'spam' email address @66Mustang @Ross_Scope! It was a life-changer when I made mine. I have 3 personal emails that I actually use.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    A few times a day
    I don't tend to get much spam @Tori_Scope, any website that normally sends spam I sign up to with my Gmail account, which then normally sticks everything in the promotions category, which I never check.

With anything else, I periodically go through my emails and hit the unsubscribe button at the bottom of anything I don't like receiving. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.