Christmas Traditions — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas Traditions

janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Hi all 

A new thread for discussion

What traditions do you have at Christmas, is there anything you do every year without fail, share with us, I have a few 

Christmas Eve box for my son always contains pjs, dvd, sweets, and a book

We then both have tea and put on our new pjs and settle down to the DVD with hot chocolate and sweets or popcorn

Bucks fizz with brunch on Christmas Day

My brother, my sister in law and myself cook the dinner while my mum keeps the great grandkids entertained 

We play games in the evening and do not have TV on at all throughout the day/evening

I buy everyone a silly present to suit their personality along with their main present 

YOUR TURN NOW TI SHARE YOURS 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,368 Disability Gamechanger
    Christmas at your house sounds fun. :smiley:

I don’t really have many traditions but I do buy a very very small box of some really posh chocolates from Scotland which are expensive - about £2 per bitesize chocolate. I get a box each for a few family members and always get one for myself to enjoy with a whiskey...:yum:
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,519 Disability Gamechanger
    For years my mum always bought me some m&s shortbread biscuits at christmas, sadly as she'e no longer with us I have to buy my own. Christmas for us has been a bit hit and miss in recent years last year for the first time in 39 years we spent it alone and loved it, then we went to our daughters for new year and senior management (the lady wife) had a nasty accident.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    @woodbine I hope the senior management was okay after the accident 

@66Mustang The chocolates sound as if they are worth spending the extra money and sure they are appreciated
  • woodbine
    @janer1967 she fell down 12 stone steps on to a stone floor at a rail station, took many months to get better and is still having some issues ten months later, but thanks for asking

• janer1967
    @woodbine does that mean you wont be venturing out this new year . Sounds horrendous 
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967 yes they are a yearly treat but worth it I think :yum:

@woodbine I’m sorry to hear of your wife’s accident. I hope she recovers completely in enough time.
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Mine would be flicking through the christmas edition of the Radio Times and declaring the tv to be so much worse then the last year!
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    @woodbine that sounds a terrible start to what has been a pretty awful year....best of luck for the next one  :)
  • woodbine
    janer1967 said:
    @woodbine does that mean you wont be venturing out this new year . Sounds horrendous 
    Probably not Mrs W is still very wary of steps @Cress I suppose it was a taste of what was to some, it has for all of us been a year we will never forget.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I alternate between my Mum and Dad's house each year, but here are a few of our traditions:
    • Eating excruciatingly hot sausage rolls straight out of the oven first thing in the morning (don't ask me why, I don't know!)
    • My Mum's Canadian, so one of us will make a load of homemade eggnog on Christmas Eve to be consumed throughout Christmas day. I usually have a non-alcoholic one in the morning and one with a dark spirit in in the afternoon or evening
    • Full Christmas dinner at about 3pm, with all the trimmings! My Mum (or me if I'm at my Dad's) makes homemade stuffing according to my Grandma's recipe, which is delicious 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • janer1967
    @Tori_Scope nothing better than hot sausage roll and the homemade stuffing sounds nice 

Maybe we can all share some favourite christmas recipes 
  • Tori_Scope
    That's a good idea @janer1967! Some people might get angry if we start a load of Christmas threads too early though :D 

• janer1967
    @Tori_Scope I agree will start one nearer the time 

I get a bit enthusiastic about xmas think the build up and planning is all big part 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    We tend to get up late and start opening a pile of presents for hours! We usually therefore end up eating very late in the afternoon/evening and regretting it because the days over so fast. That was the way things were but last year we were virtually alone and this year looks as though it will be the same. I used to love having the children at home for Christmas. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Tori_Scope
    edited October 2020
    The build-up is my favourite part too @janer1967

• Tori_Scope
    Hours of present opening- how many do you buy @leeCal! :D 

Yes, it looks like things will be a bit different this year. Do your children all have other people they can spend Christmas with? 

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tori_Scope we used to buy several presents each multiplied by six people, the pile was higher than that though and some years I suggested buying less but higher quality things. We’d all watch each other open them one at a time in turn. It took hours literally.
    hard to explain why there were so many except even a packet of sweets would be wrapped up. 

The children will probably have Christmases on their own. One has a flat share so they’ll,be with others, one has a partner so he will have company, one has a house share so he may be ok and one has no one, he will be our problem worryingly. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited October 2020
    On the topic of the build up to Christmas, does anybody here get an advent calendar? Whether it is a classic chocolate one, a non-edible one like with cosmetics in it, or a grown up one with drink in it. They are a huge business these days. 

Last year, or it might be the year before, I lose track, somebody bought me a cognac advent calendar which had 24 miniature bottles of cognac in it. It was delicious and I discovered some great new cognacs. The year before that I had a beer advent calendar which had 24 bottles of craft beer in it.
  • janer1967
    @66Mustang yes we have advent calendars just the chocolate ones but for a few years I got my son the Lego ones 

He usually gets about 4 so always gives one to me but I must admit I fancy one of the alcohol types one year 
  • 66Mustang
    @janer1967 Lego advent calendars sound really cool.

Advent calendars with stuff in them may not be in keeping with pure tradition but I think they are very good fun and enhance the build up to Christmas. 

Brightness