Are you feeling the costs of being disabled more this year? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you feeling the costs of being disabled more this year?

Cher_Alumni
Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2020 in Coffee lounge
Actress and disability campaigner Samantha Renke spoke out in yesterday's Metro about how covid-19 has negatively impacted her finances.

Talking about her income being cut by a reduction in work, Samantha described how the extra costs she accrued due to being disabled exacerbated her disadvantage.

Giving examples of this, she said:
As I’ve been shielding as much as possible, I’ve relied on delivery services for my shopping and groceries. Yet I’ve found that most budget supermarkets don’t offer a delivery service, so it’s costing more in the first place. On top of that, I have to meet the minimum spend requirements. 

Scope have campaigned about the additional costs disabled people face and produced a report about it in 2019 called the Disability Price tag. Nevertheless, since this the pandemic has changed the financial landscape even more meaning things are now arguably tighter than ever.  

So how are you feeling this shift?  Have you managed to remain (thankfully) unaffected, or are things financially tough?  What extra costs are your personal bug bear?  Let us know.  

Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Comments

• Oxonlady
    Oxonlady Scope Member Posts: 566 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope, I have just been informed by my local council that the charges for my care have rocketed to almost £57 compared to £20 per week in May. I can't afford to pay this. The council is saying that the increases have been imposed by central government. Since benefits have not increased by £30 a week, this is just a policy that's keeping those of us with chronic illnesses and disabilities in dire straits and unable to get ahead.
    I despair. 
  • Cher_Alumni
    @Oxonlady That's a huge hike in care costs  :(   It seems so unfair to be penalised for something non-disabled people don't have to factor into their lives.

If I remember rightly, were you challenging this?  Or, is there anything you can do about it?  Please let me know if us at Scope can help. 

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Oxonlady
    Hi @Cher_Scope, I've just spoken to Social Services and they won't budge on the weekly charges. They just keep telling me that the charges are imposed by central government.

I'm still fighting a legal case against Social Services for reducing my care hours 19 months ago. They are being deliberately obstructive. 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Really important topic!

Hi @Oxonlady, I'm really sorry to hear this! Have they reduced your hours but increased your contributions?
    Scope

• Oxonlady
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, yes that's right, my hours were reduced by ten hours per week, without good reason other than the council saving money and my contribution is now £57 per week, which I can ill afford. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

I agree with some of the above about cost of shopping and that low budget shops dont offer online shopping forcing you to shop at more expensive stores 

I feel my costs have decreased though due to not being able to go out and do liesure activities.

I cant go out alone and when we do go out we use a taxi and we always went at least once a month to the cinema and for something to eat which in itself cost around £100 all in but it was money well sent to have the quality time together.

During lockdown as we were not allowed to go out and non essential shops were closed, restaurants, hairdressers and so on this reduced my spending 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Really sorry to hear this @Oxonlady, this must be really worrying. Did they do a financial assessment?
    Scope

• Oxonlady
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, yes they did a financial assessment. But they said that the government has changed the rules so that more of my DLA has to be taken into account. So in effect, the income I have available for my other bills etc has now decreased.
    I'd like to see any of the politicians living on the minimum income! 
  • Chloe_Scope
    I'm sorry @Oxonlady, I imagine this is a huge worry.
    Scope

• Oxonlady
    Hi @Chloe_Scope, I find that this is a typical attitude from the authorities. "Disabled people don't matter, they don't contribute anything, they don't do anything, they can survive on minimum means". We belong to a sub-class that just gets written off. 
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    I've always had a problem with lonliness, made worst this year with the closures. Now those unelected Scientists have marched into Downing Street demanding another Lockdown. The Prime Minister will address the Nation at 4pm today. Other folk need to send messages to the Government, like the effect it all has on our Mental Health.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @m_burrell82 I'm sorry you have struggled with feeling lonely.  If we have another lockdown I'll keep an eye out for all the activities we can do from home to keep us busy and occupied.  Remember, we are always here as your friends :)

• m_burrell82
    Cher_Scope   Have to mention with that BBC thing. Even though the BBC lady didn't want my take on the subject, just to hear someones voices on the phone (not those nuisance Sales Calls)  went some way to make me feel less lonely.
    I'm also doing a lot with connecting to media otherwise. I talk online to ladies - a lot in the States, also in Ghana and I might just get some position that I would need to have, if I connected to someone. Like my carer was going to take me to Nigeria but the way the authorities have messed everything up, I seem to be heading for another winter here which I will have a problem with. Getting some thing in the media might get me into a vital position in this. I've made a lot of connections via links on Aljazeera. Also making connections online with comedians like Sarah Cooper, Blair Erskine and Regina Decico.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @m_burrell82 That's a good thing about social media, it's opened up our worlds so even with us spaced out around the globe we can feel closer to each other and less alone :)  

Were you going to visit an online friend in Nigeria?  Yes, it's not looking too hopeful for travel over the winter unfortunately.  Maybe next year some time instead?

• m_burrell82
    @Cher_Scope My carer was wanting me to meet her cousin in Nigeria but at 63 I could do with something happening much sooner than that.
  • Cher_Alumni
    @m_burrell82 Oh I understand.  How did you feel about going there?  Also, 63 isn't old, plenty of time for adventures yet :)

• m_burrell82
    @Cher_Scope  I'd love to go there. I've been to many countries. Maybe only Tunisia and Morocco in Africa. Although in that Moroccan trip, a long time ago, we might have got to another country, like Mauritania in our Transit van, looking at their map at that time.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That's really cool @m_burrell82! My friend lived in Morocco for a year and it looked amazing, I'd really like to go one day.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness