Prime Minister to hold TV news conference at 5pm - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Prime Minister to hold TV news conference at 5pm

2»

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    Well, he certainly made us wait for it didn't he.  Don't get me wrong, PM is not an easy job and I wouldn't want to do it, but being nearly 3 hours late to make such a serious announcement takes the mick.  

Honestly, I won't be following the 'stay at home' message as strictly as I did the first time.  I've spent the last few months trying to get back to the point I was at in March so I'll carry on as I have been recently.  Socially distancing and avoiding people as much as possible, but not remaining under house arrest.
  • gillian72
    gillian72 Community member Posts: 304 Pioneering
    I don't under stand why they go on about hands all this no shaking hands don't touch face , wash hands if that was such a big problem why don't we get told to wear gloves aswell plus on 1st lockdown we all spent over the 14day isolation rule plus travelers coming in only need to isolate for 14days an that is the main reason the younger generation are not going to stick to this 2nd lockdown , the government should have been honest with them that it was airborne an because of this they don't believe what government says about this virus no more ? ?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,007 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I don't know if other supermarkets for online shopping will be the same, but I looked last night at Tesco's, & there was only one slot available for the next 7 days; still many for the following weeks. Just a thought, to think ahead when planning an online food shop, just in case. :)
  • gillian72
    @poppy123456. Yes I totally agree my daughter was living with me on 1st lockdown she was going to shop etc I'm one of the vulnerable list too my son has split with his partner so he's staying with me at weekends he works away he tested positive an got sent home to isolate 14days so he wore a mask in doors aswell for me ?? I don't see why people can't go to work if they wore a mask in the work place if workers had a choice maybe if they wanted to rather then losing there wages an keep their jobs instead there choice of course (just a thought maybe) ??
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I too have tried to do an online shop today and no slots available in the next 7 days I should have thought and got my order in before the announcement

Will have to venture out now was trying to avoid as I can only go with someone so that means after school and by time we will be done it will be dark and I cant see well in the light never mind the dark, so will be a hazard on my scooter

Just hope nobody comes in my way  
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,524 Disability Gamechanger
    Whilst politically I'm not a Boris fan you do have to feel some sympathy for him. I think he and his govt. are doing the best they can, and its a fine line between the nations health and the national wealth, hopefully this four week "circuit break" will do the job and mean we can have some sort of Christmas.
    We will do exactly as we did in the first lockdown and only go out for shopping once a week and the chemist when needed.
    Stay safe everyone and try and ignore the conspiracy theorist out there.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• gillian72
    Does anyone have any interest in Nostradamus or trump life history
  • woodbine
    I'm hoping that on Wednesday morning Trump will be history !

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
     :D We certainly are living through an eventful period in history!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    I think we should all try to be considerate to one another during what is a very difficult time for many people.

I know that some people are exempt from wearing masks for medical reasons and I have seen members of staff wearing lanyards saying they are exempt. However, but I would prefer that people just stuck to the social distancing rules because the sight of someone without a mask or wearing it under their nose or chin makes me extremely anxious. 

There are two sides to this because I appreciate that wearing a face covering can cause some people anxiety but please remember that the sight of someone not wearing a face covering in an inside space can also cause other people anxiety.

There are people who don’t agree with the lockdown but we need to help each other by understanding that contracting Covid 19 could be extremely serious for some people.
  • woodbine
    I have to ask myself a question, why if mask are so effective and so advisable were we not told to wear them back in March/April ? Apparently only 7% of washable mask offer any real protection and not all disposables ones are much use.

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,587 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    I have to ask myself a question, why if mask are so effective and so advisable were we not told to wear them back in March/April ? Apparently only 7% of washable mask offer any real protection and not all disposables ones are much use.
    We were told not to wear them as there was already a shortage of PPE...  As you suggested above, government decisions aren't based purely on medical evidence.  They had to wait for Chinese factories to re-open and ramp up mask production before suggesting that we should all be wearing them.  We all saw what happened to the toilet rolls...

The other factor is that schools and workplaces were closed, hospitality was closed; and people were meant to be avoiding public transport.  This meant there were far fewer situations were the 2 metre rule couldn't be followed.  Masks only became mandatory when these places opened up again and it would be impossible to keep an appropriate distance.  Of course, supermarkets were still open throughout, where masks probably have the biggest impact as it's a place that almost all of us will have to visit...

The trouble I find with masks is that people seem to assume they're totally safe when wearing one so stop distancing.  Washable masks with any stretch in them are pointless as the holes between the threads open up when stretched, allowing particles through.  And the cotton in a stiff washable mask will get abraded during washing in the same way as clothes do so they won't be effective for many washes.  The ones with a 'pocket' for a bit of tissue would be best.  But the main issue is that we're relying on common sense...which is always a bad thing!  A lot of people aren't wearing them properly, leaving big gaps around them, and some are wearing the same one for days and mashing it in and out of their pocket with contaminated hands several times a day...defeating the purpose.

Worn properly in a medical setting they'll be pretty effective, in the real world not so much...  I do agree with RAWarrior though, even though I know they aren't all that effective and I'm keeping as bigger distance as possible, it's become such a 'normal' thing to see them in an indoor environment that it does feel uncomfortable to see someone without one.  That's the reason I'm wearing one when shopping despite finding it very difficult to do so.
  • gillian72
    @woodbine hope ur well an safe, trump has lost the plot , all he cares about is high viewing rates and be the centre of attention he's a muppet that's why he change his mind on deal with North Korea president rocket man was centre of attention in White House, I think he's no way gonna leave White House he needs to live in that bunker lol
  • RAwarrior
    RAwarrior Community member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @OverlyAnxious,

I am glad that you understand what I was trying to say and that you are social distancing. :)
    I also try to keep as bigger distance as possible because it makes me really anxious when someone doesn't wear a face covering and then comes to close to me. Unfortunately whether people agree with it or not people (unless they have a medical exemption) are supposed to wear a face covering and these days the majority of people don't bother. 
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    Trying to find it, but Tony Blair was saying we should try out different vaccines on patients, not just those on trials. The lock down is going give so many folks problems, including not helping my mental health as I suffer from lonliness.- when I could have done my hours helping at the Scope shop for instance. It is only vaccines and treatments that are going to get us out of this problem. Any other way we are just building on sand. How much worse could a vaccine be than the deaths caused by the virus or stamping down on everything?
  • m_burrell82
    m_burrell82 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 171 Pioneering
    I'm happy that I've now got a Black Lives Matter mask, by the way.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    I think this is the foreword by Tony Blair that you're referring to @m_burrell82

I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely at the moment. I think that many others feel the same, too. I hope that being on the community helps a bit? Are you part of any other digital groups? 

The mask sounds great :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • woodbine
    I agree that loneliness is one of the biggest problems of 2020, quite a number of our neighbours are elderly and we will continue to make sure they are Ok during lockdown 2, either by phone or a socially distanced knock on the door

Brightness