Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Prime Minister to hold TV news conference at 5pm

Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,795 Disability Gamechanger
edited November 2020 in Coffee lounge
For those who aren't aware, Boris Johnson will be on TV at 5pm tonight to discuss the ongoing pandemic situation and potential further restrictions.

This BBC News article has further information for those interested.

Feel free to use this thread as a space to discuss any of your feelings or thoughts about it.
Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
Tagged:

Replies

• RAwarriorRAwarrior Member Posts: 430 Pioneering
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you for letting people know about this.

I have been watching the news and an important point was raised about not only thinking about our own welfare but the welfare of others when we go out. A lot of people only think about the risk to themselves and whilst some people might have minor symptoms if they contract Covid 19, there could be a serious outcome for people with underlying health conditions. 

I always wear a mask when I go out to protect others and unfortunately I can’t say the same for a lot of people😞

I am not surprised that a national lockdown is on the cards. As I have said many times before there are so many people who just ignore the rules and are selfish.

I have seen so many people not wearing face coverings in the local shops, not social distancing and basically not taking the pandemic seriously. I can’t say what happens in the large supermarkets as I haven’t been in a large supermarket for months but there is a serious problem in local independent shops where even the staff don’t always wear a face covering😞. 

I have asked people why they don’t wear a face covering and I have been laughed at, ridiculed or ignored. Unfortunately there are people who just don’t care about others and potential consequences of what could happen if they contracted Covid 19😞

I am sticking to online food shopping now as I refuse to go to the local shops anymore because most people refuse to wear masks and are putting me at risk. 

I was in the shielding group so I am extremely worried about contracting Covid 19 and I cannot rely on others to keep me safe because too many people just ignore the rules.
    Hi @Cher_Scope,

I forgot to say great photo for 👻 🎃 
  • 66Mustang66Mustang Member Posts: 4,304 Disability Gamechanger
    @RAwarrior @Cher_Scope I was going to say the same thing haha nice hat.
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Community Team Posts: 2,795 Disability Gamechanger
    @RAwarrior Ah thank you.  I thought I'd get in touch with my witchy side.

We will await the news conference but I appreciate your concerns.  We are in exceptionally challenging circumstances and each need to do what we feel is best to keep us safe and protected.  

I hope you manage okay with the online food shopping and it's good that you have your lovely woodland friends to distract you from time to time :)

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
    66Mustang said:
    @RAwarrior @Cher_Scope I was going to say the same thing haha nice hat.
    It's just a little something I had in the wardrobe  :D

Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you very much😁

I have been doing most of my food shopping online for months and I have only gone to the local shops for a few items. 

However, on every occasion about eight out of ten people are not wearing face coverings. It hasn’t been a one off experience as each and every time I have gone to a local shop (several different ones) the majority of people have not worn a face covering. This has made me extremely anxious so I decided not to go to any of the local shops anymore as it’s not safe.

Thankfully I have been able to visit my squirrel families recently. I have visited the park squirrels and the forest squirrels. I have posted a few new photos if you haven’t seen them yet🐿

The Hazelnut Thief stole the netted bag with the hazelnuts and ran off with it so I couldn’t retrieve it. She then ended up fighting over the bag of hazelnuts with another squirrel😁

The forest squirrel who gets picked on by the others now sits on my lap and lets me stroke her.
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 2,962 Disability Gamechanger
    seems it could be as late as 6-30 now, I don't think he's going to announce a lockdown, if that was the case he would be making a PM announcement not a press conference as he did on March 23rd.
    We will have to wait and see.
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    @RAwarrior 'The hazelnut thief'  :D they are beautiful animals!!  

@woodbine Boris is definitely running late isn't he?  I'm trying to avoid all the speculation on social media so we will see what he says.

Hi @Cher_Scope,

Thank you very much😁

They are really sweet but naughty😂

I have posted lots of photos of the Hazelnut Thief if you look on the earlier pages and you might have seen them already😁

She is a squirrel who I have been feeding for quite a while who goes into the bag where I have the nuts as soon as my back is turned😁

Hi @Cher_Scope,

I have posted some more photos🐿
  • SylviaMorrison72SylviaMorrison72 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi guys do you think the lockdown affect me getting a cooker delivered? I am am desperate as been without 1 since middle September I still haven't had a proper response after trying to get it actually replaced! So I have had to get another company to deliver me 1 and install! Just so relieved to be getting it. I really don't know what I would do if if no delivery!
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi guys do you think the lockdown affect me getting a cooker delivered? I am am desperate as been without 1 since middle September I still haven't had a proper response after trying to get it actually replaced! So I have had to get another company to deliver me 1 and install! Just so relieved to be getting it. I really don't know what I would do if if no delivery!

HI, If it's due to be delivered from Thursday then you should contact the delivery company and ask them, they will be able to tell you for sure.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    From what I heard Boris say deliveries will go ahead as usual, they did in the last lockdown we had almost daily deliveries from Amazon, as for the rest of what he said i can't decide lol
  • gillian72gillian72 Member Posts: 284 Pioneering
    I don't even have a mobile phone an the last one I had only cost me £10 till I dropped it in the loo lmao, I asked both my kids ( 20& 30yr old) I was shocked to hear there answers they both said no way are they having track an trace on there phones an both point blank said no way would they take any vaccine if they found one anyway they both believe the government wants to control them they must watch to much hunger games an divergent films or believe the 💩💩 on there phones, unless boris tells them the truth about the virus they r not gonna stick to this lockdown this time I'm afraid to say they are not even listening to me an to be fair I can't blame them this time sadly to say 😷😷
    I am extremely worried about contracting the virus so those people who don’t take it seriously are the ones that are putting myself and others at risk😞

If everyone followed the rules we might not be in this situation. As I said before too many people think it’s a joke which is not funny for people like me😞

I wear a mask and social distance to protect myself and others, it’s a pity too many people don’t do the same for me😞

To be fair @RAwarrior I think most people do take it very seriously and have been doing as they have been told to do, it is now for those at high risk to stay home save lives protect the NHS.
    Hi @woodbine,

Unfortunately what you describe has not been my experience. 

I have seen so many people ignoring the rules regarding face coverings in shops, petrol stations and a well known chain of catalogue shop which I will not be returning to.  

I have also seen staff in those places either not wearing a face covering or wearing it under their nose or chin😞

I had people pulling their t-shirt over their nose when I have asked them to keep their distance because they were not wearing a face covering. 

I have been to the hospital for my appointments and as soon as people have entered many of them put their mask under their nose or chin. I am expected to wait in a busy waiting room with people that have no regard for others.

I had to go into a walk in urgent care place a couple of months ago and 80% of the patients either had no face covering or had lowered it under their nose or chin. I went to the desk to complain and the nurse also had her mask under her chin. 

I have lost count of the amount of times I have had to ask people to keep their distance even when I go to the park because so many people just ignore the social distancing rules.

The problem is that people who are vulnerable can stay at home to protect themselves however, they can still be infected by family members who do go out and may not have any symptoms. This is why the people who do go out must follow the rules. It is not as simple as just expecting vulnerable people to stay at home because not everyone lives alone and some people will rely on other people to help them. We all have to take responsibility for our actions to protect ourselves and others. 

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    To be honest, some of those that are not wearing face coverings could be exempt from wearing them. Those working in shops do not have to wear them if they are behind a screen, for example, those at the checkouts. Only those that come in closer contact wiith customers should wear them, if a screen isn't possible.

I was in morrisons on Wednesday and at the self serve checkouts and a worker walked past without a mask but she did have something round her neck saying she was exempt.

You do not have to waer a face covering when outside in an open area, only when you're inside. Personally, i prefer not to wear one because the anxiety it causes me is dreadful.

At the end of the day, life still has to go on. Thousands of people die every year around this time because of flu. I'm not saying i don't think Covid exists because it does, i just think the media make it a whole lot worse than it really is. There's so much more testing now than there was back at the start of March, so obviously we will have most positive tests.

I will be continuing to see my elder daughter and grandson because they are the only ones i have outside contact with. I rely on my elder daughter to help me and without her, i'm lost.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 231 Pioneering
    Another POINTLESS lockdown I would like to inform anyone who is willing to listen to me  there is another side to this story  other scientists and HCP's disagree with what this govt  (of occupation ) in my opinion say,  I think we are being lied to, this is not about a virus any more, the PCR swab  tests have a very high false positive rate and were never intended for detection of viruses or diagnosis, these tests are finding traces of old viruses or colds  flu vaccines  and other matter that is non-harmful and giving positive results because of the number of AMPLIFICATION CYCLES they perform at the labs, so many of the cases  are not in fact infections of any virus , some will be flu and colds  and a minority will be SARS-Cov-2 virus , another fact is that over 30% of the population  already were immune to this from strains of common cold  we have had  sometime during our lives, T CELL immunity, which lasts a long time maybe until at least 65yrs  and because this virus is said to be a coronavirus  they don't mutate rapidly  so no reason why our t cell memory wouldn't recognize it in years to come, There is also evidence that all the measures  put in place have little to no effect in controlling the virus  lockdowns don't work once the virus is amongst us, masks do not protect you from viruses, but they may cause you health problems, rashes , bacterial pneumonia , and other respiratory disorders from ingesting the fibres of the masks, the whole thing is really about control through fear, and breaking down social interaction and enjoyment, once the pubs close again it's unlikely many we reopen many of those who get furlough won't have jobs to go back to this will increase poverty with this comes poorer health, And the NHS is all but closed , why are they doing this?
  • CressCress Member Posts: 466 Pioneering
    Well yes, that would be my question...why would they do this?
    In my opinion the answer would be "they're not" 
    edited November 2020
    Thank you everyone for your comments.  It's understandably a topic that's going to attract a diverse range of opinions based on personal interpretations of the data.  

I find it best to focus on that which we can control which is our own response to the lockdown and keeping ourselves well.

As ever the Scope team want to support you all through this so please let us know if you are struggling with anything over the next 4 weeks.  Our virtual community is here to empower and 'look after' each other and we can get through it together I'm sure  <3

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,157 Disability Gamechanger
    Well, he certainly made us wait for it didn't he.  Don't get me wrong, PM is not an easy job and I wouldn't want to do it, but being nearly 3 hours late to make such a serious announcement takes the mick.  

Honestly, I won't be following the 'stay at home' message as strictly as I did the first time.  I've spent the last few months trying to get back to the point I was at in March so I'll carry on as I have been recently.  Socially distancing and avoiding people as much as possible, but not remaining under house arrest.
    I don't under stand why they go on about hands all this no shaking hands don't touch face , wash hands if that was such a big problem why don't we get told to wear gloves aswell plus on 1st lockdown we all spent over the 14day isolation rule plus travelers coming in only need to isolate for 14days an that is the main reason the younger generation are not going to stick to this 2nd lockdown , the government should have been honest with them that it was airborne an because of this they don't believe what government says about this virus no more 😷 😡
  • chiariedschiarieds Community champion Posts: 6,896 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I don't know if other supermarkets for online shopping will be the same, but I looked last night at Tesco's, & there was only one slot available for the next 7 days; still many for the following weeks. Just a thought, to think ahead when planning an online food shop, just in case. :)
    @poppy123456. Yes I totally agree my daughter was living with me on 1st lockdown she was going to shop etc I'm one of the vulnerable list too my son has split with his partner so he's staying with me at weekends he works away he tested positive an got sent home to isolate 14days so he wore a mask in doors aswell for me 😷😷 I don't see why people can't go to work if they wore a mask in the work place if workers had a choice maybe if they wanted to rather then losing there wages an keep their jobs instead there choice of course (just a thought maybe) 🤔🤔
  • janer1967janer1967 Community champion Posts: 7,417 Disability Gamechanger
    @chiarieds I too have tried to do an online shop today and no slots available in the next 7 days I should have thought and got my order in before the announcement

Will have to venture out now was trying to avoid as I can only go with someone so that means after school and by time we will be done it will be dark and I cant see well in the light never mind the dark, so will be a hazard on my scooter

Just hope nobody comes in my way  
    Whilst politically I'm not a Boris fan you do have to feel some sympathy for him. I think he and his govt. are doing the best they can, and its a fine line between the nations health and the national wealth, hopefully this four week "circuit break" will do the job and mean we can have some sort of Christmas.
    We will do exactly as we did in the first lockdown and only go out for shopping once a week and the chemist when needed.
    Stay safe everyone and try and ignore the conspiracy theorist out there.
    Does anyone have any interest in Nostradamus or trump life history
    I'm hoping that on Wednesday morning Trump will be history !
     :D We certainly are living through an eventful period in history!

I think we should all try to be considerate to one another during what is a very difficult time for many people.

I know that some people are exempt from wearing masks for medical reasons and I have seen members of staff wearing lanyards saying they are exempt. However, but I would prefer that people just stuck to the social distancing rules because the sight of someone without a mask or wearing it under their nose or chin makes me extremely anxious. 

There are two sides to this because I appreciate that wearing a face covering can cause some people anxiety but please remember that the sight of someone not wearing a face covering in an inside space can also cause other people anxiety.

There are people who don’t agree with the lockdown but we need to help each other by understanding that contracting Covid 19 could be extremely serious for some people.
    I have to ask myself a question, why if mask are so effective and so advisable were we not told to wear them back in March/April ? Apparently only 7% of washable mask offer any real protection and not all disposables ones are much use.
  • OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,157 Disability Gamechanger
    woodbine said:
    I have to ask myself a question, why if mask are so effective and so advisable were we not told to wear them back in March/April ? Apparently only 7% of washable mask offer any real protection and not all disposables ones are much use.
    We were told not to wear them as there was already a shortage of PPE...  As you suggested above, government decisions aren't based purely on medical evidence.  They had to wait for Chinese factories to re-open and ramp up mask production before suggesting that we should all be wearing them.  We all saw what happened to the toilet rolls...

The other factor is that schools and workplaces were closed, hospitality was closed; and people were meant to be avoiding public transport.  This meant there were far fewer situations were the 2 metre rule couldn't be followed.  Masks only became mandatory when these places opened up again and it would be impossible to keep an appropriate distance.  Of course, supermarkets were still open throughout, where masks probably have the biggest impact as it's a place that almost all of us will have to visit...

The trouble I find with masks is that people seem to assume they're totally safe when wearing one so stop distancing.  Washable masks with any stretch in them are pointless as the holes between the threads open up when stretched, allowing particles through.  And the cotton in a stiff washable mask will get abraded during washing in the same way as clothes do so they won't be effective for many washes.  The ones with a 'pocket' for a bit of tissue would be best.  But the main issue is that we're relying on common sense...which is always a bad thing!  A lot of people aren't wearing them properly, leaving big gaps around them, and some are wearing the same one for days and mashing it in and out of their pocket with contaminated hands several times a day...defeating the purpose.

Worn properly in a medical setting they'll be pretty effective, in the real world not so much...  I do agree with RAWarrior though, even though I know they aren't all that effective and I'm keeping as bigger distance as possible, it's become such a 'normal' thing to see them in an indoor environment that it does feel uncomfortable to see someone without one.  That's the reason I'm wearing one when shopping despite finding it very difficult to do so.
    @woodbine hope ur well an safe, trump has lost the plot , all he cares about is high viewing rates and be the centre of attention he's a muppet that's why he change his mind on deal with North Korea president rocket man was centre of attention in White House, I think he's no way gonna leave White House he needs to live in that bunker lol
    Hi @OverlyAnxious,

I am glad that you understand what I was trying to say and that you are social distancing. :)
    I also try to keep as bigger distance as possible because it makes me really anxious when someone doesn't wear a face covering and then comes to close to me. Unfortunately whether people agree with it or not people (unless they have a medical exemption) are supposed to wear a face covering and these days the majority of people don't bother. 
  • m_burrell82m_burrell82 Member Posts: 102 Pioneering
    Trying to find it, but Tony Blair was saying we should try out different vaccines on patients, not just those on trials. The lock down is going give so many folks problems, including not helping my mental health as I suffer from lonliness.- when I could have done my hours helping at the Scope shop for instance. It is only vaccines and treatments that are going to get us out of this problem. Any other way we are just building on sand. How much worse could a vaccine be than the deaths caused by the virus or stamping down on everything?
  • m_burrell82m_burrell82 Member Posts: 102 Pioneering
    I'm happy that I've now got a Black Lives Matter mask, by the way.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Community Team Posts: 3,214 Disability Gamechanger
    I think this is the foreword by Tony Blair that you're referring to @m_burrell82

I'm sorry that you're feeling lonely at the moment. I think that many others feel the same, too. I hope that being on the community helps a bit? Are you part of any other digital groups? 

The mask sounds great :) 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot here and let us know what you think
    I agree that loneliness is one of the biggest problems of 2020, quite a number of our neighbours are elderly and we will continue to make sure they are Ok during lockdown 2, either by phone or a socially distanced knock on the door
Sign in or join us to comment.