Cerebral Palsy
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

GP requires permission for me to talk about son's medical needs

Mark2711Mark2711 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2020 in Cerebral Palsy
Firstly my son does not have CP but many doctors presumed he had, so I am posting here hoping you can help. He has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum, ACC for short. He is 35 years old and now due to the data protection act we are having trouble with our GP and a rather unhelpful, rude practice manager.
He has Epilepsy and recently had his dose increased, which means his prescription runs out quicker and we have to ring up to reorder. Now they tell us they can not speak to me or my wife without consent or a lasting power of attorney. I have explained to several staff and now the practise manager that you can not get a LPA for someone who has lack of mental capacity. The manager then tells me I will have to pay for a solicitor to arrange something. I then decided at this point, as the conversation was going nowhere to seek help elsewhere.
Has anyone any thoughts or experience of this.

I understand we can get a Court of Protection for his welfare but this seems a lot of money for a medication thats he is entitled to. We do now feel we are being discriminated against because of my son's disability. 

Thanks  Mark


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 10,115 Disability Gamechanger
    Wo that is a difficult one have you spoken to CAB or welfare rights, may also be worth contacting a solicitor for advice they do offer free initial advice 

    Another avenue could be through the NHS complaints route 

    I hope you get something resolved and hope other members can offer more advice
  • Richard_ScopeRichard_Scope Posts: 2,771

    Scope community team

    This a very difficult position to be in @Mark2711

    Have you spoken with the Office of the Public Guardian? They will be able to advise on any potential solutions. The details are: 
    Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: 0300 456 0300
    Textphone: 0115 934 2778

    Specialist Information Officer - Cerebral Palsy

    Want to tell us about your experience on the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Mark2711Mark2711 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks janer1967. CAB was one of the organisations I was looking at contacting. it's still early days yet in our struggle to get a common sense answer but I guess I will need professional help for a long term fix.
    Thanks Richard for idea. The Office of the Public Guardian deal with LPA's and Court of Protection but i will contact them for advice on other options.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,565

    Scope community team

    Keep us updated @Mark2711!
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WestHam06WestHam06 Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,333 Pioneering
    Hi @Mark2711
                             How are you? I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are facing. I can see some of the great members of the community have offered advice, please do keep us up to date with how things are going. I'm sorry I could not be of any use but hope you are able to get some answers. Best wishes. Thank you
Sign in or join us to comment.