GP requires permission for me to talk about son's medical needs — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

GP requires permission for me to talk about son's medical needs

Mark2711 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2020 in Cerebral palsy
Firstly my son does not have CP but many doctors presumed he had, so I am posting here hoping you can help. He has Agenesis of the Corpus Callosum, ACC for short. He is 35 years old and now due to the data protection act we are having trouble with our GP and a rather unhelpful, rude practice manager.
He has Epilepsy and recently had his dose increased, which means his prescription runs out quicker and we have to ring up to reorder. Now they tell us they can not speak to me or my wife without consent or a lasting power of attorney. I have explained to several staff and now the practise manager that you can not get a LPA for someone who has lack of mental capacity. The manager then tells me I will have to pay for a solicitor to arrange something. I then decided at this point, as the conversation was going nowhere to seek help elsewhere.
Has anyone any thoughts or experience of this.

I understand we can get a Court of Protection for his welfare but this seems a lot of money for a medication thats he is entitled to. We do now feel we are being discriminated against because of my son's disability. 

Thanks  Mark


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Wo that is a difficult one have you spoken to CAB or welfare rights, may also be worth contacting a solicitor for advice they do offer free initial advice 

    Another avenue could be through the NHS complaints route 

    I hope you get something resolved and hope other members can offer more advice
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,615 Scope online community team
    This a very difficult position to be in @Mark2711

    Have you spoken with the Office of the Public Guardian? They will be able to advise on any potential solutions. The details are: 
    Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: 0300 456 0300
    Textphone: 0115 934 2778

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • Mark2711
    Mark2711 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks janer1967. CAB was one of the organisations I was looking at contacting. it's still early days yet in our struggle to get a common sense answer but I guess I will need professional help for a long term fix.
    Thanks Richard for idea. The Office of the Public Guardian deal with LPA's and Court of Protection but i will contact them for advice on other options.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Campaigns Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Keep us updated @Mark2711!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Join our call for an equal future.
  • WestHam06
    WestHam06 Community member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,396 Pioneering
    Hi @Mark2711
                             How are you? I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are facing. I can see some of the great members of the community have offered advice, please do keep us up to date with how things are going. I'm sorry I could not be of any use but hope you are able to get some answers. Best wishes. Thank you


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.