Help needed about the impact of wheelchairs for teenagers and if they are a necessity or not. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help needed about the impact of wheelchairs for teenagers and if they are a necessity or not.

Options
NikiBCP
NikiBCP Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I work for social care and I am currently assessing a teenager to see if she can access the funding for a wheelchair. I wanted to know if any of you have experience or a view on what impact having a wheelchair might have on a teenagers life. I am looking to see if this is somethings she wants or if indeed it is something she needs. Any views shared would be much appreciated and help me gain a good understanding to inform her assessment.

Comments

• Cher_Alumni
    Cher_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,741 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi @NikiBCP and thank you for thinking of us when it comes to this subject.  You sound like a great social care worker who really cares about the people they work with.

Many of our members are wheelchair users and they will be able to offer real-life examples of the impact having a wheelchair has had on their quality of life.

In the meantime, I've bobbed this post over to our Disability aids and equipment discussion board to help people spot it.  

Just to add: I think you accidentally posted this twice so I deleted the other thread you made.  Please let me know if you need any help with anything, I'm only a shout away!
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I am a wheelchair user and it depends really on why the chair is needed 

I have no choice as I cant walk or stand so it is vital and had its challenges but without it I would be immobile 

If it is used for someone who can stand or walk but as a relief to be more mobile and go further using one isnt as restricting eg they could get out and enter inaccessible places and also use chair around house 

I think the younger people are the more adjusted they are over time 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @NikiBCP, thanks for asking this question, it's an interesting one :) 

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness