Do you think people treat you differently because you have a disability /condition? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think people treat you differently because you have a disability /condition?

Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I find some people treat me differently now I am unwell unfortunately,?but i try not to dwell on this. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    That doesn't sound very nice @earthchild23, but sadly it's something that happens :( 

I think people can be quite patronising sometimes as well, either deliberately or by accident.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Tammyjane33
    @earthchild23 I'm so sorry you and your son have experienced that! People can be vile sometimes.
    My partner has autism and people are rude and have said "why are you with him, when he has that" my reply was "well I'd choose him any day over a rude individual like yourself. There really is no need.
    Sending ❤️
  • Tammyjane33
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    A lot of people don’t know how I’ll iam as I stay away from people I don’t have any friends . My partner is always worried bout me and so is my Nan . 

But when I have taken really sick In front of people I find some people are nice and some are not nice 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    The online community is your friend @cupcake88 :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • cupcake88
    cupcake88 Posts: 1,273 Pioneering
    Thank you for your kind words 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes people do treat you differently but some in a positive way. I think people who have visible disabilities are more understood than those with non physical. People dont know how to react or deal with those with behaviour or mental health issues they tend to just turn a blind eye or stare 
  • Francis_theythem
    Francis_theythem Community member Posts: 120 Pioneering
    I have good friends and mentors at my university who don't see/treat me any differently. It's good for some of my conditions - ME, Pots, hypermobility and trauma.
    But it is also frustrating for me because I am autistic spectrum, so I mature much slower than 'normal' and it's really difficult being independent the way others my age are. So I wish that my mentors would treat me differently so that I can be a part of the world. I know what i want to do, but it's hard doing it purely on my own and I want them to treat me differently (in a good way obviously) so I can do it.  
  • Tammyjane33
    @earthchild23 Thankyou so much for your lovely reply and kind words. I thought people would be more kind in this day and age and it being 2020 and given things like covid19 around I always expect people to be more kind and supportive and less judgemental.
    I hope you are well. 

• Tammyjane33
    @cupcake88 thank you for your comment,its great you are on the site, maybe you could get to know and talk to people here to make friends, it's totally your choice.
    I hope you are okay and have a good day. 
    Tammy 
  • Tammyjane33
    @Francis_theythem thank you for your reply. It must be frustrating at times, my partner has autism and too so I sort of have an understanding of where you're coming from. If you ever need to talk, there any many people you can talk to here, that can offer support etc. 
    Have a good day. 
    Tammy 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    I have had people be a bit patronising when they discover I have psychological conditions. They talk to me almost like I am a child. I don’t think they do it maliciously - quite the opposite - they are trying to be helpful. Their heart is in the right place.

There is no point in getting offended in my opinion. I get offended by someone having an intent to offend, not by somebody making a mistake.

In the adult world, I have never had anybody be intentionally nasty to me for having a condition. School was a different story but that is over and done with now, thankfully. :)
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    I tend not to tell people about my mental health problems. I don't think people would understand anyway. Most  people have never heard of hydrocephalus nevermind how it affects my life. I have a friend who is autistic and he is the only person who I can talk to about it because he understands. I have been sacked several time because I find it hard to do things! Even the PIP assessor ignored it when she did my assessment. I work for myself now so I haven't get anyone judging me.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    That must be hard @deb74, but I'm glad that you have a friend you can talk to. Please also remember that the community is always here if you need to chat with people who can understand what you're going through, at least on some level :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    Thanks Tori_Scope. 

Brightness