PIP Payments in advance or arrears??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Payments in advance or arrears???

Options
Andy1234
Andy1234 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
My new Wife, was girlfriend in all previous posts has been receiving PIP Payments for 3 years now, since a successful appeal in court.  However as it was awarded by a judge, it is ending in 10 days with no extensions or reviews. We have started a new claim 4 weeks ago and are awaiting a decision. My question is we are expecting a final 4 week payment 2 days before this claim runs out, but have just realised if it's paid in advance we are not due a penny. I'm sure it is paid in 4 weekly arrears though. Can anyone put my mind at rest, as it takes over an hour to get hold of the DWP. Also my carers allowance is due to stop at the same time, but I read they can pay up to 4 weeks extra. I receive carers allowance every Monday as a weekly advance. When will this stop ???

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi,

It's paid 4 weeks in arrears. Carers Allowance in these circumstances will end once the PIP stops. If she's awarded again once the decision's made then it will be backdated to the date it stopped, for both benefits. Although you will need to reclaim carers allowance.

If you're paid the carers allowance weekly this is paid in advance. If you're paid 4 weekly, it's 3 weeks in arrears and 1 week in advance, just so you're aware.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congratulations on your marriage 

I'm not certain of the answer to your question so wont add any confusion 
  • Andy1234
    Andy1234 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for the quick responses. Do I need to tell the DWP we're now married, does it make any difference??? If my wife was awarded 25 points at the appeal in December 2018 , do you think the decision makers will take this into account on the new claim  as they always score 0 points in medical???
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No problem. PIP makes no difference whether you're married or not because it's not means tested. Although if she's claiming any other benefits then yes she should have reported the changes.

Also if she's claiming housing benefit and council tax reduction she should have report the changes to her local council.

For the PIP then she should expect a telephone assessment because these have replaced face to face assessments.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If your wife has changed her name then it would be worth reporting so there is no confusion with names in the future 

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Congratulations @Andy1234 :) I hope the above advice has been helpful! 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.